Dry skin, especially legs and arms

Options

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I use Bag Balm as an all over moisturizer. I live in a very dry climate and it is the only moisturizer that works for me year round. It can be found at animal feed stores and is sold in a green can. Dairies use it a moisturizer for their cows udders. It contains lanolin and no alcohol, no perfume.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    use coconut oil on damp skin. And eat some coconut oil!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    The skin on my lower legs is dry and scaley. I was reading recently that it can be caused by poor circulation, and I do tend to retain water in my lower legs and feet, so I know my circulation isn't the best. I've been scrubbing my legs like crazy with a bath puff when I take a shower in the hopes of encouraging circulation and I apply a body butter (Clinique) when I get out of the shower. I'm not sure if it's really helping much, but I haven't been very diligent either. The next thing that I'm going to try is an exfolliating scrub.

Don't scrub :( and don't use any type of abrasive scrub lotion cream or anything like that, you'll make it worse. As mentioned by several people as well as myself, switch to a natural oil (coconut, olive, grapeseed, jojoba, etc.)
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Eucerin (not the lotion, the thick stuff in the jar!) every day, many times a day (esp. after bathing).....and drink LOTS of water
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I use Bag Balm as an all over moisturizer. I live in a very dry climate and it is the only moisturizer that works for me year round. It can be found at animal feed stores and is sold in a green can. Dairies use it a moisturizer for their cows udders. It contains lanolin and no alcohol, no perfume.

I used to use that for the eczema on my hands :) Then I started having reactions to the lanolin. I remember it being really thick and greasy though.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you want to use a scrub, regular white granulated sugar works great, but is very gentle, and has no extraneous chemicals that can dry you out even more. You could also try Glaxal base. This is the basis of all prescription creams, but the pharmacy can sell you the base without any meds added. Also watch for soaps, they can be very drying. I use unscented dove beauty bar, and its very gentle, even more so than baby soap, I used it on my newborns!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil..

your skin will love you for it.

The real stuff.. not the lotions with all the fake crap in it.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

The BEST thing you can do is put some PURE 100% Shea butter, or Coconut oil, or cocoa butter on your skin. Even sweet almond oil, or flax oil.

I moisturize twice a day and I don't have too much trouble with dryness, but it does get worse during the cold months. I'm using the Melaleuca Renew lotion, which is really nice.

I LOVE Shea butter. It worked really well. However I developed an allergy to it. :sad:
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    Another New Englander here -

From the inside - flax seed, olive oil, and fish oil capsules along with lots of water. Too little dietary fat makes me scaly.
    From the outside - shower half as long and moisturize twice as often. Hot water is the enemy of dry skin. I use Shea Butter soap. Moisurizing when skin is damp seems to help, as others have noted.

I use Aveeno for the body, L'Occitane 100% Shea Butter (I use the plain one in the big tin) for hands, feet and lips. Also - wearing socks and closed shoes really helped this winter - instead of 'pretty' shoes to work. Slather on the shea butter then bundle up the feet in natural fiber socks and boots - this has kept my heels from cracking for the first time in years.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil (both applied like lotion and in the foods you eat)

the fastest acting I've found is;

Avon's Oatmeal lotion (also helps with dry skin itch)

AND

the Body Shop's Shea Body Butter
  • allana3uk
    allana3uk Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Such a helpful topic!

I've been suffering with dreadful dry skin this Winter, it's even sloughing off me when I turn over in bed at night. Delightful, huh? I'm going to try almond oil and up my consumption of coconut oil.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    OP, are you eating enough fat? That could be the problem.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You said "When the light hits it........" Do you mean an underlying pattern?
    That could be just age(not dry skin) and I don't know what can help about that.
  • Sla6adm
    Options
    I also suffer from dry skin. I am not an expert for the kind of food you need, but I do know if you use too many oils and creams, your skin starts to rely on them, and ends up producing less natural oils itself, and the whole problem gets exarcerbated.

Also, caffeine and alcohol dries skin out. x
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. I've always had eczema, while they haven't made it go away entirely, they've both worked far better than anything I've been prescribed by a dermatologist!
  • bermudamel
    Options
    Mary Kat Satin Hands pampering set is great for dry skin. They used to have one for called Satin Hands and Body, not sure if they still make it but the products are great! It saves my hands this time of year!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a problem with dry skin, but my husband does. Soft water helps. Put a humidifier in the rooms you are in most frequently. Take a bath in oil (I love Avon Skin So Soft--also keeps bugs at bay in the summer). Coconut oil too.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I would suggest using cetaphil or vaseline (both have hypoallergenic and highly moisturizing formulas). Increasing your water intake as well as your vitamin E you consume would definitely help.

I personally use Vaseline Cocoa Butter (both the hand the the body butter form, also have the body lotion form as well but I don't find it as hydrating for the skin)

Also I hear baby oil just after a shower will also help seal in more moisture. Rub it in until you don't feel slick but soft when you apply the oil.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have alligator skin, not just regular scales but thick, course skin if I don't tend to it. It's taken years to figure it out, but I finally have a routine that keeps in manageable. (Might I add that I went to 2 different dermatologist that prescribed expensive creams that didn't work unless I put them on "liberally" 3 times a day- who wants to slather on greasy creams from head-to-toe 3 times a day.)

Anyway, here's my not-so-secret game plan.

- Dry brush before every shower (with a natural soft bristle brush)
    - My body wash is Dr Bronner's Baby Mild wash. (You really need to use very little.)
    - Rinse my body with natural hair conditioner, paying close attention to back of arms and legs (whatever I'm using at the time, usually Aveda)
    - After the shower, moisturize with organic jojoba oil

I use high quality products and generally have to use very little of them. This routine is 80% more effective than the cream, takes less time and cost less than the Dr prescribed creams. Also, I'm pretty sure the previous bar soap and body washes I was using were making my skin worse.
  • dvillano46
    dvillano46 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread! I've suffered from dry skin for many years, on my lower back and underarms. I've tried tons of dermatologist -recommended creams and lotions, but nothing's ever really helped. As of right now I'm trying out the Neosporin Eczema Essentials sample pack, which comes with a body wash, daily moisturizing cream, and an anti-itch lotion. Though I don't necessarily have eczema, the wash and cream are really wonderful.