Heart Rate too high

Options
Could it be that I have been causing myself to stall in weight loss by pushing my heart rate too high?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A high heart rate will burn more calories. But is this during exercise or at a state of rest. But we can start with basics like, what is your height, weight and workout routine and how many calories are you eating? Also, how long have you been eating at that calorie level?

Generally speaking with 20 some pounds to lose, your goal should be 1 lb per week and if you exercise you should be eating at least 50% of your exercise calories or including exercise into your lifestyle.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have a heart valve that goes two ways (Mitral valve prolaps) so my heart rate is always faster during exercise. This has not appeared to have much of an impact on my ability to lose weight though.
  • ajgaines67
    ajgaines67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and I weight 174 I change my work out up alot. But I usually do 30 - 60 mins a day of running, elliptical, stair climbing and a circuit workout. I usually eat 1200 - 1400 cals a day
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am 5'3" and I weight 174 I change my work out up alot. But I usually do 30 - 60 mins a day of running, elliptical, stair climbing and a circuit workout. I usually eat 1200 - 1400 cals a day

If you are that active, you need to eat more. Most women I know working out 5-6 days a week are eating 1700-2100 calories. But if you follow the math, you should probably be eating 1850 calories. What I would suggest is adding an additional 200 calories a week until you hit around 1800 calories. Also, increasing protein and fats can help as lower carbs will reduce water weight.