Recommendations for exercises to tone thighs!

Options
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some recommendations on exercises to help me tighten my thighs up! They're a little big and I am okay with that, I just want to turn some of the fat into muscle! My knees aren't that strong so squats and lunges can be really hard on them.... do you guys have any thoughts on low impact exercises to tone my thighs? Or maybe something I can do on the mat?

Thanks for any advice! :)

Replies

• cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    No one has any ideas? :(
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with my thighs too, so interested to see what people say.
    But I'm going to incorporate laying on side leg extensions with resistance.
    Basically laying on your side and doing different moves (up &down)(Front & back) (both legs and arms up) with a resistance band.
    that is suppose to help with the outer and inner thigh.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym membership? There are two machines (hip abductors- one you push in the other out) and it got rid of every inch of cellulite I had.
  • sparky916
    sparky916 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try doing squats with 5-10 pound weights, do 3- 15 reps, hoipe that helps.
  • sparky916
    sparky916 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try doing squats with 5-10 pound weights, do 3- 15 reps, hope that helps.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym membership? There are two machines (hip abductors- one you push in the other out) and it got rid of every inch of cellulite I had.
    you mean like the geno-machine?
    Sitting down and open your legs?
    Really?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Look up "blogilates" on youtube. There's a few good thigh workouts there.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!! i currently use my university gym because i dont have to pay extra haha but maybe i should consider joining a gym if it will help me to get rid of my cellulite! I really hate it!

I would like to do squats, but I can only do so many before my knee starts hurting :(

i can definitely try the exercise on the mat though!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    a few things

1. you cant turn fat into muscle
    2. you cant spot reduce
    3. cellulite is genetic and even fit and thin people have it

fat loss happens all over so just continue to do what you're doing to lose weight and your body will slim down the way it's genetically predisposed to do
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Do squats and squat deep (low) and fairly heavy using less reps. Also the leg extension machine is a good exercise
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    cardio.

But really stuff like squats, lunges, leg extenstions, leg press. There's soooooo much out there.
  • 24redwine
    Options
    Lots of cardio, low impact if need. Later as your muscles get stronger, your knees may be better. Walking at a very fast pace...like you are late for an appointment, for 30 minutes minimum every day. It's not just about spot toning....you need to burn off the fat with cardio and good diet over time.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    a few things

1. you cant turn fat into muscle
    2. you cant spot reduce
    3. cellulite is genetic and even fit and thin people have it

fat loss happens all over so just continue to do what you're doing to lose weight and your body will slim down the way it's genetically predisposed to do

this.

i would add
    4. "tone" is a vague and misleading term that really means "burn fat so the muscle underneath shows"
  • AlysonM
    AlysonM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    rollerblading worked awesome for me! Really made my legs look stellar. It is winter though...
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Don't do lots of cardio - that won't help you gain any muscle anywhere.

Read this article, it may help. It explains that squats can help strengthen knees. It would be important for you especially to make sure that your form is correct.

http://exercise.about.com/b/2007/11/13/faq-my-knees-hurt-when-i-do-squats-are-there-other-alternatives.htm
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    yoga
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    really tight pants?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Do you have an office job? Every time you go to the restroom, choose the handicap stall and do body weight squats. Do fifty at a time. Do this every time you go to the restroom. Try not to be embarrassed if you come out all red-faced and your coworkers look at you funny.

* And calf raises, and pushups against the handicap bar in the stall.
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try wall squats, they are tough on the thighs, and I don't think they would be as hard on your joints. You can probably look them up, but here's the idea:

Lean your back up against a wall, drop all the way down into a sitting position so your lower legs and thighs are at 90 degree angles. Hold that position for 60 to 90 seconds. It will seem easy at first, but it gets really hard. You can raise up just a bit from 90 degrees if you start to shake, and then drop back into it. To add variation, lift up one leg at a time straight out in front, so all your weight is on one foot and keep the other leg up even at the knees. Switch legs every 10 seconds.

For the back side of the legs, try a yoga bridge pose. I'm not sure I can explain it, but a quick internet search will show you (bridge with shoulders on the floor, not the wheel position all the way up on hands and feet). Hold that position for 60 to 90 seconds, or lift up and down from near the floor into that position repeatedly for that time. A tougher variation would be with only one foot on the ground at a time and the other raised.

Also, dead lifts are great for the backside and backs of your thighs. Low impact, but you've got to get the form down.