Shoe review for knee pain?

Options
I've always had knee pain since I played basketball in grade school. I was always told it was growing pains. Lately my knees have been "flaring up" when I jog/run or any kind of jumping - i.e. jumping jacks or jump rope. I know I have knee problems, but I was hoping that someone may have a sneaker in mind that's cushioned for knee, foot support. I'm looking to spend less than $80, but if I have to, I'll spend some money for something really good. I'm starting to train for a marathon, so I'm looking for a running shoe to possibly help?

Replies

• rschwa
    rschwa Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't do much running anymore, and I don't have any specific advice for you other than saying definitely look at the shoes. When I was in the army, at one point I had all kinds of knee trouble from daily running. Replaced my worn shoes, and it was like magic - knees felt better immediately. Kind of like when you go too long between replacing your toothbrush. You get that new one and you're like 'aaahhhh, yeah, that feels better'

I don't think you necessarily need any kind of fancy or specific shoe, just decent, good-fitting, low mileage shoes.
  • aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    New Balance 608 have been recommended many times. My dad has bad knees also and when I got him in a pair of these he said they were amazing and still to this day 7 years later that is all he buys. They are a cross trainer shoe tho instead of a running. And they are only about $50.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest you go to a running store for a proper fitting. What works for me might not work for you. I'm using Asics now, but will be looking for something with a larger toe box for my next pair due to some toenail bruising.
  • sbrouillet
    sbrouillet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with bmacneil. Though I'm just a wanna be runner, I went to get properly fitted as I do a great deal of walking. I have a wide foot and a moderately flat foot. A local store watched me walk barefoot and then I tried on three different types of sneakers. I ended up with Brooks and I love them.
    I'm actually due for new ones as these have some significant miles on them. I'm going back to the same place and see what they come up with next(if something different strikes my fancy).

You might pay more at a running store, but for me it was worth it with the advice and care they took with me.

Good luck!
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    You should have a store near you that will match your patterns to set you up with a pair that should decrease the pain
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest you go to a running store for a proper fitting. What works for me might not work for you. I'm using Asics now, but will be looking for something with a larger toe box for my next pair due to some toenail bruising.
    New Balances have stores with people who watch you walk, and pair you up with shoes that will work best for your feet, how you walk, what you'll use them for, etc. Google them to see if there's one in your area.
  • jusimm
    jusimm Posts: 28
    Options
    a running shoe is much better for knee pain even if you are not a runner. Usually have a "roll bar" in them. They are also more expensive. Usually over a $100. I have New Balance because I have a very wide foot. Hard to find shoes REALLY wide.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll take your advice and get fitted by the Footlockers or sports stores and see if they can help me out. I hear New Balance and Nike's are really good. So we shall see
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll take your advice and get fitted by the Footlockers or sports stores and see if they can help me out. I hear New Balance and Nike's are really good. So we shall see

My advice is not to go to Footlocker or a sports store like D1cks Sporting Goods... find a specific runners store... they'll have knowledge of a broader spectrum of brands and foot conditions. I went once to the runners store and bought a pair of shoes... I paid for ONE pair of shoes through them and have gone to DSW.com since. I've found my son's Saucony's and my New Balance or Asics up to 1/2 off at DSW.

Nike are not great if you have a wider foot. New Balance generally come wider but can be too stiff for some people. It all depends on whether you walk to the inside or outside of your foot, the shape of your heel, your toes, etc. One thing's for sure though... nothing beats a pair of comfortable tennis shoes!
    Good luck!