Metabolism

Does eating breakfast really boost your metabolism? If so, would coffee count?

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member

It's debateable (a wive's tale), but it really helped me. Before I started changing my lifestyle, I only drank coffee with cream/splenda and then ate at lunch. Now I eat breakfast EVERY DAY and a snack around 10am. I feel eating every 2-3 hours is how I accomplished my goal without feeling deprived and I think by doing so my metabolism is faster. This is only what I believe, others may have other opinions.

Edit: I also believe eating high protein in the morning keeps me fuller all day and helps me train.
  • Breakfast does not boost your metabolism. Coffee is a very mild stimulant and has a trivial thermogenic effect.
  • tracyrslim
    tracyrslim Posts: 14 Member
    It does! What it helps with is your hunger. If you are busy in the morning I recommend keeping fruit around that you can grab and eat as you walk out the door or plan to get up a little earlier and eat something more substantial. Even a bowl of cereal can make a difference in not being starving by lunch or dinner. I was told once that you should consume 70% of your daily calories by lunchtime. Your calorie intake should look like a downhill triangle with a gentle slope. Majority of calories in the morning and taper them down by evening. That way by the end of the day you do not have excess calories to store while you are sleeping. Don't know if this is technically accurate or not but it is what I am trying now.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Eating (at any time) raises your metabolism temporarily. Caffeine does the same. So yes to both questions. But it's not enough to affect weight loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Read this post by SideSteel, in which he explains it very well (along with quoting some other good resources and peer-reviewed studies to back up what he's saying):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    It does! What it helps with is your hunger. If you are busy in the morning I recommend keeping fruit around that you can grab and eat as you walk out the door or plan to get up a little earlier and eat something more substantial. Even a bowl of cereal can make a difference in not being starving by lunch or dinner. I was told once that you should consume 70% of your daily calories by lunchtime. Your calorie intake should look like a downhill triangle with a gentle slope. Majority of calories in the morning and taper them down by evening. That way by the end of the day you do not have excess calories to store while you are sleeping. Don't know if this is technically accurate or not but it is what I am trying now.

This is not "technically accurate" as you put it. Nutritional timing is all preference driven and make no differerence metabolically.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member

It's debateable (a wive's tale), but it really helped me. Before I started changing my lifestyle, I only drank coffee with cream/splenda and then ate at lunch. Now I eat breakfast EVERY DAY and a snack around 10am. I feel eating every 2-3 hours is how I accomplished my goal without feeling deprived and I think by doing so my metabolism is faster. This is only what I believe, others may have other opinions.

Edit: I also believe eating high protein in the morning keeps me fuller all day and helps me train.

I strongly agree with this! I eat anything for breakfast now, even if it's just a banana or a chewy granola bar. It keeps me full til later. I never used to eat any breakfast, I HATED it, and I also thought all it would do is up my calories. I wantd to save them for bigger meals, but honestly, for some reason, that's not the case. I actually eat LESS when I added breakfast. Weird, huh? :bigsmile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    It's more about satiety and prevention. Eating breakfast helps people not crave crappy foods when they get to work, etc... but in terms of weight loss, it doesn't matter when you eat your calories.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Read this post by SideSteel, in which he explains it very well (along with quoting some other good resources and peer-reviewed studies to back up what he's saying):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

THIS.

I started the IF lifestyle a couple months ago and love it. I always thought I had to eat 5-6 smaller meals in a day.. but the meals were so tiny, and I was constantly thinking about when I could eat my next meal. I couldn't think about anything besides eating every 2-3 hours. Now I eat all of my calories within an 8 hour period and LOVE it. My meals are large and afterwards I'm full and satisfied. Im getting all of my nutrition and calories, just in a condensed time frame. I also perform MUCH better in the gym when I go before my first meal of the day.

Whatever makes it easier for you to stay within your calorie goal is what will work for you. It'll be different for everyone. Some people are more satisfied with 2-3 large meals, as opposed to the same amount of calories spread out into smaller meals. Some people will be the opposite. IF definitely has many benefits though.