I HATE strength training.....any non-lifting suggestions?

Options

Replies

• jeanninecurran
    jeanninecurran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy doing kickboxing. I've been doing dvd"s and comcast On Demand fitness videos. My favorite is Sensei Guillermo Gomaz. It's fun but a great workout and I've noticed that I am toning up and feel much stronger.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I've been told I shouldn't do free weights so interested in other ideas.
    Who told you that? And why? Under what context?
    I'm gonna guess a doctor? *shrug*

See, I'm gonna guess a friend that said lifting would make them bulky or impede weight loss. Maybe I'm cynical?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Learn to play the drum kit. Fittest looking guys in a band. Or take up rock climbing.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rachelrenae123
    rachelrenae123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try plyometric exercises... uses the weight of your body as resistance.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Try a class. It sounds cheesy but It's a good way to better know what you're doing (It can be intimidating if you're new to it) and there a more social atmosphere. Plus I set goals with myself about upping weights or perfecting form which make it less boring.

personally I would rather lift than cardio anyday, I find it hard to committ to cardio now.

Hill hiking with a pack is the best of both worlds =)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we have to do boring things because they are good for us. I don't love it, but I LOVE what it's done for me. But, it all depends on what your goals are. My strength training program does include some bodyweight exercises, and they definitely can be challenging. I also incorporate yoga into my fitness regime, and even a bootcamp style cage fitness class. However, I can tell you that nothing has gotten me results like the 30 short minutes I spend 3 days a week lifting. But again, it depends on your personal goals.

That said, there are some ways to make it less dull. Music usually does it for me, but there are some activities that are so mind numbing that I have to up it a notch to podcasts. There are few things that "This American Life" or "Radiolab" don't make more bearable.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I've been told I shouldn't do free weights so interested in other ideas.
    Who told you that? And why? Under what context?
    I'm gonna guess a doctor? *shrug*

See, I'm gonna guess a friend that said lifting would make them bulky or impede weight loss. Maybe I'm cynical?

I told my exercise physiologist that I want to do stronglifts 5x5 and she said this:

"In regards to the 5 for 5, this is not for novice trainers, in fact this would be for more experienced weight lifters. Although is says it is safe I do question this considering if you have not done weight training before I am concerned your muscles and tendons are not conditioned to endure this type of load. Everyone has different proportion of muscle fiber types and this determines what style of weight training is most effective however this is not possible to find out unless you were to undertake an invasive muscle fibre test which I do not at all recommend. For your level of experience, age, size and being female I would recommend staying around moderate sets and reps (ie 2-3 sets, 12-15reps). The key to building muscle mass is you must lift repetitively to the point of muscle fatigue. This should be the guiding factor when you are choosing your weight. Ensure when you follow this that you maintain good technique. If you lose technique before you finish the set the load is too heavy and is very unsafe. Heavy does not necessarily mean better. I hope this helps."

I have sent her the thread about weight machines versus free weights to read as it talks about some of the older ladies lifting free weights etc and that it isn't for experienced lifters only.

I do have some pain in my left shoulder that a physiotherapist couldn't fix and said to see a doctor. Still need to check it out so that is an issue for some lifts.

Edited to say I am on weight machines that she approved for me right now.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Have you tried heavier weight? Seriously, when you are struggling to complete your lifts your mind does not have time to wander.
  • misseenk
    misseenk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wat.

Hates strength training...does not compute.

I guess you could try crossfit or something. I've never tried it but I know a few people that like it. It's not as good as lifting, but it's something.

LOL agreeeeeeed

anyway to be helpful: fingertip push ups, planks, wall squats, running [legs], it really depends on what in the world you want to focus on! My calves for example are 17 inches and pure muscle, i have NO FAT on my calves, theyre pretty much flexed 24-7 or so it seems. but my arms, are flabby lol! they didn't use to be, but they are now, before i use to play a lot of sports; so i would do fingertip push-ups
    these basically consist of a flat wall, and you, spread your fingers like a volleyball player does in order to do a "set" and basically you step a foot away from the wall and your do standing push ups on the wall with your finger tips [hence name] no palm, and after each push in you push your self back out clap and continue that, this will def help build your wrists and your upper arms, and your forearms, because you're using your personal weight to do it.
    anyway, planks are great for your abs, have to do various plank exercises for best results of course. wall squats and running are legs....
    as they say on the "Biggest Loser" the only real machine you need to lose weight is you.

personally however I am using a 10lb dumbbell, one hand, and i will watch TV or talk to someone while I am doing my reps.
    I love lifting, but because I am so use to it, long ago I hated it too....
  • jmomma160
    Options
    Have you tried resistance bands? They work with your strength and aren't boring. Check on you tube for some ideas. I have gotten some of my best ideas from there and it definitely helps to be versatile. Boredom is murder on a work out plan. I feel ya.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    yoga. yes, yoga -- it's really all you will need.

yoga is awesome!!!!!

for recovery from strength training
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You enjoy yoga and that's plenty. You could look at some power yoga to get even stronger but It really doesn't make any sense to do something that you don't like because you will never keep it up. Many people are exercising like crazy to help reach their weight goal. What do you suppose is going to happen when they reach that goal? Anything they really don't like doing is going to stop.

Exercise to get stronger and feel good.

Control your calorie intake to meet your weight or body composition goals.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    yoga. yes, yoga -- it's really all you will need.

yoga is awesome!!!!!

for recovery from strength training

QFT.

but truth be told, I did start weight training with body weight. There was a time, not so long ago, that a chin up felt impossible to me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I use yoga. Works for me.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have found kettlebells slightly less boring.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    So, I completely understand the importance of strength-training, as this is needed to build muscle and to avoid simply becoming "skinny-fat," but I absolutely hate weight training (doesn't matter if it is free weights or machines...I get super bored and find myself thinking of all of the other things that I could/should be doing, and I tend to rush through these types of exercises). I enjoy yoga and try to incorporate that for resistance training, and I have also had success with fitness boot camps in the past. Does anyone have suggestions for how to work on building muscle/toning up that aren't dependent on weights? I am trying to keep it fresh and avoid getting bored....

If you like the water, most public pools offer a combination of cardio and strength training in the pool (using various pieces of equipment like foam "noodles", foam belts and resistance paddles.) I love it. Before I started about three months ago, my muscles were total mush. Now, I actually have a bit of definition! The resistance increases with speed. The classes are graduated (but you can always go at your own pace).
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to do weight training there are a miryad of things to try - circuits, martial arts, plain old chin-ups on a bar in the park...LOADS

I had a sequence of pressups to learn culminating in a handstand pressup somewhere, might be worth googling, I bet you'd build muscle doing that.
    Done all that; In reality, it would seem for me; chin ups are the only thing that comes close (and are part of my current routine to some degree) as this is 'heavy lifting'.
    Sure, the rest is good for burning calories and for endurance; but it doesn't offer the same results, at least for me.

Of course, doing the reverse (I forget the proper name, it's late and I didn't get much sleep last night) exercise of that would be a 'military press'. Part of various x5 style plans people are suggesting. And it seems a bit silly to just do your arms, when you could be doing your whole body with a couple more exercises.

As for the person being told to avoid Strong lifts - from what I've read they all advice starting a good chunk under what you're capable of and building up from that. Jumping straight in at full weight probably wouldn't be a good idea.
    I made a point of certainly starting lower than I could to give my body time to get used to it.
  • jessjoye
    jessjoye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This might sound CRAZY because it is the complete opposite of what you are asking... but go out and buy a Muscle and Fitness Magazine or look it up on the Internet. When I was in college I subscribed to it, would take it to the gym and do the workouts in there. It took me a while to go from enjoying it to loving it but weights keeps your bones and muscles strong. It is so important for your body composition... I would compete with myself, set crazy out of reach goals. Just an idea.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest finding a group of friends to work out with vs. doing it alone at the gym

I was very fortunate to find a small family gym that we meet in a group and do all types of fun things for cardio, weights, etc. and never the same thing 2 days in a row. We have a personal trainer that works with us and we accomplish a lot. We use weighted (medicine) balls, our own brunt strength and body, the big rubber balls, and we always have fun. The hour flies by and I actually look forward to my evening workout sessions. I've seen more results in the past 3 months than I did in the 4 years I was at other gyms just using machines. YIPPEEE!!! :happy: :smile: :wink: :flowerforyou: