Drinking while Eating

Options
2»

Replies

• perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I've been told not to drink water while eating, but I have GERD and had my gall bladder removed. The water breaks down the acid in my stomach, making it harder to digest food. Or something like that.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I had Lapband surgery and have been told NOT to drink with my meals. It is because if you drink liquids with your meal - it helps flush the food thru your system - therefore you do not feel full as long as if you didn't drink.
    I've been told not to drink water while eating, but I have GERD and had my gall bladder removed. The water breaks down the acid in my stomach, making it harder to digest food. Or something like that.

Both are excellent reasons, if advised by a physician.

But it's the stuff that these myths are made of - advice given to an individuals, or group of individuals, that have special needs, but is then assumed to be the right thing for everyone.

Personally, I'll continue chugging a big ol' glass of water with every meal.
  • MadeInDR022
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i know so many people that can eat a meal with no drink, i think it is so so weird!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    IF there is any truth to this, I bet the nominal improvement isn't as beneficial as drinking water with your meal and feeling full sooner so not eating as much.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My mom has severe IBS (gets such bad stomach aches she has to use a heating pad after eating just about anything, she has gone through the gamut of tests and no one can really figure out what is wrong).

Anyways, she is seeing a doctor who specializes in severe IBS and has been told to cut out dairy among other things AND to not drink water (or anything) during meals because it dilutes out the enzymes your stomach uses to properly digest the food you eat.

She has seen some positive results from this (plus taking a lot of different supplements, enzymes, and vitamins).

EDIT to say that I do not think this is a weight loss "trick" more than just a way to help with IBS from your food not properly digesting!
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water (or whatever my choice of beverage) at meals, sometimes to the point when I go out to eat I annoy the waitress/waiter because I need so many refills. I often just ask for a pitcher to be left at my table because I will drink 6-8 glasses of water during a meal. I can't eat without drinking. I have only noticed good things with increased water consumption. This just from a real life practical application of my normal habits.

From a health/medical standpoint (take this as you will, I'm not a doctor, just a lowly paramedic) water is like oxygen and blood, if you don't have enough you cease to function. Our bodies are composed of >60% water. When people become dehydrated (signs include thirst, decreased urination, lack of skin recoil (pinch the skin on your hand if it doesn't immediately return to normal, or is slow to return, this isknown as tenting), headache, nausea, vomiting) they're metabolic functions become strained. Severe deydration can cause fainting (among other things) and shut down the kidneys. Notice if you haven't peed in the last four to six hours, you are dehydrated and need WATER!

Moral of my rant is water is good and it helps digestion but if you feel better, function better, without drinking anything then do what works. I prefer to drink a lot of water, I feel like it helps my loss and keeps the headaches at bay.

"Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation to this is bad... and requires immediate intervention."
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have to drink something while eating or food gets lodged in my throat and I cannot swallow. But as for weight loss I don't know. I have also been told to drink room temp, warm, hot liquids while eating was the best for you. I don't know though, I like mine cold. I only drink hot beverages in the morning.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The primary benefit for most people with normal digestive systems is that by not "washing down" meals with liquid, you tend to more fully chew your food. I had never thought about this until told by a friend who does this. And I definitely tended to wolf stuff down, especially when hungry. So while I still drink liquids while eating, I make a conscious effort to slow down and really chew, and it has helped my digestion.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think this may be one of those myths that come from a generalization that someone has made about advice given to someone else. Like the poster above whose mother has IBS and was told not to drink while eating. So someone else doesn't read that correctly and thinks they shouldn't drink while they eat, period, end of story. Or maybe someone was told not to guzzle so much water while they eat because too much water too fast will fill you up and they misunderstood and thought they just shouldn't drink while they eat.

I drink at least two cups of water while eating, more with salty restaurant food, and I've never suffered any health consequences and as you can see from my ticker below, I've been losing weight just fine.