P90X

Options
I just started P90X this week. It is an awesome workout. It is easy to modify the exercises to accommodate your fitness level. I just finished day 3. Shoulders & Arms and Abripper X. It was a great workout. I can already see a difference in my abs from Monday. There is not as much cardio as I was doing before so I may have to add some eliptical 2 or 3 days a week. We'll see how it goes.

Replies

• rs1177
    rs1177 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I started P90X last week, so I"m on Week 2. I did the same work out as you this morning. I havent really noticed any changes yet. Last week I added 2 (20min.) Turbo Jam workouts. I did one last night and I'm going to get on the treadmill tonight for 1/2 hour. I feel like I need more cardio too. I really need to lose weight off my stomach and arms and I really want this gone by July for my wedding! I hope P90X works for me. I have heard great things about it. I just hope getting up at 5:30am pays off soon because it can be easy to get discourged!

Wish you all the luck with it! We should keep in touch seeing how were doing the same workout on the same days!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I started P90X last night and it was awsome! A hard workout but I am so proud of myself for doing it! I've changed my desktop photo to my 'before" picture to help motivate me.

I'm doing the lean version!
  • alisaperry74
    Options
    I'm on week 7 and have seen some great results. I am doing the lean version, but sometimes double up if I feel I need more cardio. I add Plyometrics to one of the days...what a great workout! It's not on the regular "Lean" schedule, but I would highly recommend it if you want to get a good sweat on. Good luck to you all and keep it up...the results will be worth all the hard work.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Ladies, good work on all the P90 - I am finding it challenging!

I started on Monday, and have only done Chest & Back, Plyo, and Ab Ripper, and am just exhausted! I also did a 4 km run, and a 5km this morning, and I just want to go to bed tonight, but I am going to push myself and do Arms & Shoulders (I think that is next). I am doing the Classic.

Are you ladies all starving? I am eating small and frequent clean meals, but my stomach growls, basically, all day long. I have been drinking mug after mug of green tea and hot water with lemon, but I am just ravenous! I think because my diet is so lean, and my workout so heavy, I already see a difference in my mid section.

No sure how much longer I can keep this pace up though!
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    kamsue101 are you doing the classic version? If so, what did you think of Plyo? If that is not that difficult for you as far as cardio, you should move to Insanity. Anyone who really likes cardio should try it. I completed a couple rounds of the X and went to insanity. The warm ups are harder than Plyo.

AJCM are you getting enough protein? I think the first 4 or 5 weeks of the diet is supposed to be 50% protein, It really helps with the starving feeling. Whenever I go back to carbs, I end up going on eating binges and have to get more protein. How many calories are you consuming?
  • areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! I'm doing my second round...started today.

You can make it through and you'll love how you feel!! If you need any tips or anything let me know.

www.beachbodycoach.com/ANGIEREAY
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Great Job everyone for Starting 1 of the hardest home workout programs ever put on DVDs. Insanity is the Hardest. Google it. Try is after P90X but keep a bucket near by.

Anyway, the keys to P90X working is the Nutrition. It's going to be 80% of your visible results. The other 20% is the workouts. If you eat twinkies and workout you'll still look like a twinkie.

The workouts are only an hour a day...eating is an 12-14 hr a day thing.
    Also, consistency is the other key. Show up everyday and press play. Don't worry if you can't keep up with the people in the videos...if you could you wouldn't need the program.
    The 1st week is the hardest...when you make it thur that the other 12 get easier. 1 day at a time.

So to sum it up...Eat Clean and Press Play everyday. You can do this.

I started 2009 at almost 250 lbs. After a year of P90X, Insanity and Rev Abs (all from beachbody.com), I lost over 80 lbs. You can do it too. The weight I've gain back is all muscle. I'm very happy.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    1 more thing...ladies tend to go slower with weight loss but the clothes start fitting better. Don't let the scale be the judge of your success...let how the clothes fit. By the end of the 90 days, if you've been true to the program, you will be a very happy camper.
  • AJCM
    Options
    AJCM are you getting enough protein? I think the first 4 or 5 weeks of the diet is supposed to be 50% protein, It really helps with the starving feeling. Whenever I go back to carbs, I end up going on eating binges and have to get more protein. How many calories are you consuming?

I'm set for 1.5 lb loss per week, and I am thinking it might be too agreesive a goal. Today I ate 1480 quality calories, but I burned over 1000 working out (5km run this morning, and shoulders & arms tonight).

Thanks for the protein tip. I have added two small protein shakes into my day.

laddyboy - you are an inspiration! True about keeping up - I can only do 4 diamond push ups right now, but that will improve, and I am doing what I can do. When I started working out two and a half years ago I could not do a single push up, and I can bang out 15-20 now.

The clothing tip is also spot on - only three days in and my tummy already feels flattter from the low carb and good workouts.
    :)

Keep up the great work everyone!
  • kylielouttit
    Options
    I feel like when I am watching what I eat that all I can think about is food and it dictates me day. I always thought it was overeaters that felt like food controlled them. Does that make any sense? Anyway, that's how I feel. I'm constantly wondering if I am getting enough protein.
  • kamsue101
    kamsue101 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight for a wedding too. But, it's not my wedding it's my sons.

We should definately stay in touch and keep each other motivated. I'm sure you will reach your goal in time for your wedding.
  • kamsue101
    kamsue101 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started doing Atkins 5 weeks ago today. I am through with induction and into ongoing weight loss. This means I am eating a lot of protein and low carbs already. My weight loss has been 1 lb a week for the last 2 weeks.

I did have some trouble with all the jumping in plyometrics. It really bothers my right knee. I think I am going to switch to cardioX next time instead of plyometrics. After just 3 days I am pretty sore, especially my legs. I really enjoyed the shoulder & arms workout today. I'm a little worried about the yoga. I know it is usually harder than expected and I have only done yoga a few times before.

I've got until November to reach all my goals and I have time to do 2 rounds.

DECIDE, COMMIT, SUCCEED - this is my new motto
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    kamsue, be careful with your nutritional intake. P90X and Atkins weren't meant to go hand-in-hand because carbs are quite a necessary part of the equation just so you have enough quick-burning energy to get through the workouts. It's why the nutrition guide is written the way it is.
  • johnporcaro
    johnporcaro Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    MFP really helped me figure out what was adding protein vs. carbs, and as I entered food throughout the day, i could see where i needed more of one or the other.

Make sure to set your Goals appropriately in MFP (Goals, Change Goals, Custom) to reflect the Phase you're in (Phase I of P90X is 50% Protein, 30% Carbs, 20% Fat). That way you can see where you are with what you're eating. I consistenly went over with carbs and way under with Protein in the first phase.

Also, if you set up your exercise goals in your profile to include P90X workouts, it takes those calories out of your daily calorie goals, then adds them back (as an incentive?) after you enter your calories burned. You'll lose more than your goal (1 lb./week for me) if you aren't eating your exercise calories. P90X estimates about 600 calories per workout, but you can get more accurate with a heart rate monitor that computes calories. I've found that I'm burning between 600-900 per workout (other than X Stretch).

Keep Pressing Play! Y'all sound like you're doing great! I just ordered Insanity as I come up on the end of Week 12 of P90X... Hope I'm ready for it!
  • AJCM
    Options
    How's everyone doing with their P90?

I am feeling great, but have added some protein. I have upped my calories a bit, and ate close to 2000 today, but feel great.

What about sleep? I also noted that I am needing more sleep, and have been getting 8-9 hours a night, but might aim for a little more tonight! Anyone else finding they need to increase sleep while on the program?
    :)
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I start Monday ... I'm nervous but I know I'll adjust eventually. Most things I read stated that majority of people quit at the 30 day mark so i definately don't want to be one of those people. My boyfriend does the work outs but not regiously, so I need to find some newbies!
  • kylielouttit
    Options
    I start Monday ... I'm nervous but I know I'll adjust eventually. Most things I read stated that majority of people quit at the 30 day mark so i definately don't want to be one of those people. My boyfriend does the work outs but not regiously, so I need to find some newbies!

I'm a newbie! Today is day 4 for me, I'm doing the LEAN program!
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    snkeller24 just keep pushing play. You will feel great after completing each workout. Just the satisfaction of knowing how hard you pushed yourself and making it thru is a great motivator. If you can't keep up at first don't worry, you will get stronger. Make sure you follow the diet or something close. You won't get the results you seek without it.

AJCM you are absolutely right on about getting extra sleep. Your body needs time to recover. Good luck trying to find the time. When I only get 5-6 hrs, the workouts are a bear, especially the ones with pull-ups. I had lost over 30 lbs on my first go around and would get lightheaded during the days with less than 8 hrs of sleep.

johnporcaro I think you will do just fine with Insanity. Extremely tough cardio. How hard is Plyo for you now? I have said this many times that the warmup in Insanity is tougher than plyo. There is one workout called pure cardio that you warmup for 10 minutes, get a rest and then go all out for the next 20 without a break. And that is only in the first phase. I didn't go to the second phase because it was too much cardio for me and I missed the strength training. Keep us informed on how that works out. Anyone who completes Insanity is in great shape.
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    YAHOO!! This is my first time too and I am on day 5...well finished day 5 legs, back and arx and can I just say my legs are rubberbands! I have Kempo tomorrow and I am a little worried! I am so pumped though!!!! I feel like even though its been just 5 days and I know I haven't lost anything yet I have gain a little respect for myself...I feel stronger and proud!
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! The hubby and I are about to finish our 1st recovery week Sunday-I can't believe we've stuck with it so far!:bigsmile: I was already seeing results in my arms and shoulders the 2nd week. I take a pilates class 2x a week as well, and lemme tell ya, the first few weeks were EXHAUSTING. :laugh: We've been doing the classic, although my hubby is thinking of switching to doubles on week 5. I might switch over to lean, seems to be more cardio. I have a fat tummy and need it!! :laugh:

AJCM-I didn't notice the need to increase my sleep, I usually get about 7 or 8 hours a night. But it WAS hard to get out of bed the first week or two, I was just done! LOL! One night this week I ended up only getting 5 hours(have a night class and did Core Synergistics when I got home at 11 pm-DUMB IDEA!!!:wink: ), and the next day was just brutal. We ended up taking that day for a rest day instead of Sunday. So I definitely notice it more now if I DON'T get enough sleep! We added protein shakes as well and it's definitely helped!:happy:

Snkeller: oaker is right! Just keep pushing play! Don't depend on your bf to work out, just do it!:flowerforyou: You will thank yourself for it, and if you need any extra support feel free to send me a friend request! It would be great to have some people to talk to about P90X and give/get support!:flowerforyou: