Looking for Android app to track distance

Does anyone know of a good app for an android to track time and distance for walking & running? I’m prefer to not have to strap another device to my arm so if I finding something for my phone would be awesome. I'm not really concerned with the number of calories burned. I mostly want to track my time & distance to see if I’m improving.

I know I can calculate the distance online or drive it after the fact but really don't want to spend the extra time doing that and I take different routes so hard to plan ahead.

Thanks!

Replies

• lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    I like the Nike + running app (you can use it for walking also). It is pretty accurate with distance as long as it is not too cloudly outside (then the gps system can make it REALLY inaccurate--the app will warn you ahead of time if this is going to be an issue). It's free, you should try it :happy:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    I've used Trimble All Sports. Pretty happy with it.
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    I use Runkeeper...not to run but to track walking and mountain biking. Works very well.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Thanks everyone, these sound like some great options! I will check them out tonight.
  • pandoraw
    pandoraw Posts: 143 Member
    I use Runkeeper too. I find it easy to use.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    I just downloaded runtastic pro for free last week (it was a one day free for iphone) and used it (along with my Garmin) on yesterday's long run of 12 miles. While it wasn't as accruate as the Garmin is, it would likely be good enough for what you need!
  • I use RunKeeper too. I don't run, but I use it to keep track of my cycling miles as I don't have a cycle computer on my bike. I really like this app. It's fairly simple to use and works really well on my Android. (I have an HTC Incredible 2)
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    I use both Endomondo & SportsTrackLive, & both work fairly well. Go over to the play store and search "fitness" - there's a pile of them!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    MyTracks

/thread

OK, it made by Google, has the smallest footprint. Just tracks time and distance (gives out pace too). Doesn't communicate with anything - but can export GPX files that you can import into Garmin Connect, Strava, Training Peaks, etc.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    I use Map My Run. Can track a variety of exercises.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member

Runkeeper's fine as long as you're willing to stand outside for 10 minutes waiting for it to initialize! I usually don't have the patience for that. :)
  • I use Runtastic. It can can link to MyFitnessPal and does it all
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    I use Endomondo on my Samsung Note - swear by it - I have bought Pro and it also has an in-bulit pedometer app

If you want, Endomondo will link to MFP and send over its stats
  • I use Endomondo. It's great!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    I use Endmondo also. I just don't use it to estimate the calorie burn, I find it to be quite a bit higher than my HRM.
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    I use and love Endomondo. I recently got a HRM and found that Endomondo was overestimating my calories burned so maybe be a little cautious of that.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    I use Runtastic. It can can link to MyFitnessPal and does it all

I use runtastic too, and the pedometer app is pretty accurate as well for indoor use. I compared it to a stadard outdoor route I had GPS mapped and it was very close.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member

Runkeeper's fine as long as you're willing to stand outside for 10 minutes waiting for it to initialize! I usually don't have the patience for that. :)

I have never had that problem with RunKeeper, mine works great even on cloudy days.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    <Saved so I can check these out later>
  • kmmpink
    kmmpink Posts: 63 Member
    i also use endomondo!