Salads: I have seen the light!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I really love to put dried cranberries on my salads. Gives them a nice zing/sweetness that makes a salad so much tastier. Just fruit in general in a salad is good too!
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My typical lunch "salad" is really a bowl of raw broccoli, baby carrots, and grape tomatoes (about 1 serving/85 grams each). My dinner salad is one cup (about 42 g) spinach, 1/2 cucumber diced, and 85 g grape tomatoes diced, with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice (I'm not a huge fan of dressing -- I like to taste the veggies.) Colored peppers are also an awesome salad addition.

I will also have grape tomatoes with my afternoon snack, and often have at least one other veggie side with dinner (avocado, peas... whatever I have on hand, really.)
  • zildgian
    zildgian Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try pico di gallo as salad dressing. Low calore and very flavorful.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I cheat and buy a weeks worth of the mixed salads in a bag and just grab one for lunch every day with a good protein.

Instead of salad dressings - particularly the vinaigrette ones, try some of the flavoured vinegars - tons of flavour and practically no calories. My current fav is raspberry balsamic vinegar. It's got a sweet bite to it and is perfect for salads with any kind of fruits thrown in.

If I'm feeling adventurous, I bring add ins like peppers zucchini brocolli snap peas for more texture. I LOVE pears - especially the crunchy green ones in my salads. Chop up a chicken breast or a couple of hard boiled eggs and you are good to go for lunch.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    MM! Any vegetables I have in the house, and if I have time I like them better grilled, especially red pepper, with goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, avocado, and chicken breast. YUMMMM..

And for dressing I usually get light ranch, and mix it half and half with lemon juice, so I can drench my salad for half the cals =)
  • becky23
    becky23 Posts: 60
    Options
    black beans, avocado, salsa, chicken, and melted cottage cheese! YUM!
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    black beans, avocado, salsa, chicken, and melted cottage cheese! YUM!

Ohhhh I never thought about Melted Cottage cheese! ill have to try that!
  • msapplenomore
    Options
    They all sound good.. I like baby spinach with some fresh chopped mango,a few craisons and a tiny bit of crumbled goat cheese.
    I dilute a balamic vingirette with water and grate a little fresh ginger into it.
  • lgday5
    lgday5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Pico de Gallo - Yum!
  • washingtonn
    Options
    They are on the same aisle as the salad dressings in the supermarket.
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think your salad choice is very nice. I normally use walnuts (easier to chew and great source of omega 3) instead of almonds. I also add Yicama, grape tomatoes and mint leaves for added flavor. Try adding beans as your protein vs chicken or tuna.

Once your taste buds change, you will crave the veggies. Best regards!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I put tomato, avocado, reduced fat cheese and chicken in mine. My husband likes chicken, green apples and green onions with walnuts. Chicken, strawberry & pecans are good too with raspberry spritzer.

Ooh, I do the chicken with strawberry and raspberry dressing too. I toss a little black pepper feta in mine to give it a little kick and keep it from being overwhelmingly sweet. LOVE it.
  • mattyboy28
    Options
    Mixed leaves
    Baby spinach
    Cucumber
    Salad tomatoes
    Grated carrot
    Bean Sprouts
    some grilled tuna or chicken

fat free vinigeraette - I have the roasted red pepper one from Hellmans

LOVELY ! :-)