Workout timing?

Options
At the risk of being mocked, is there really any advantage to working out at a specific time of day? I know the meal timing is Broscience, but not sure if the workout timing falls in the same category.

For instance, I used to work out in the mornings before work. Lately that's become more difficult due to moving, etc. so I'm thinking of moving my workouts to after work for the sake of convenience, since I haven't been able to make it into the gym lately. It's not really going to make a difference in the effectiveness, right?

Replies

• Jiggle_all_the_way
    Options
    I think the best time to work out is when it fits into your schedule. :-)

However, there is a lot of research out there (just google Exercise time of day) and you'll get stuff like this:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    While there is specific research being conducted on this topic, unfortunately the answer to the question, "What is the best time for exercise?" varies based upon the specific question you ask, your training goals, and your exercise adherence. Here are some of the latest specific research findings:

• Late Afternoon is Best for Exercise
    Research shows that the optimal time to exercise is when our body temperature is at its highest, which, for most people is 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. (body temperature is at its lowest just before waking).
    • Strength is Greater in the Afternoon
    Dr. Hill reported that strength output is 5% higher at around mid-day; anaerobic performance, such as sprinting, improves by 5% in the late afternoon.
    • Endurance is Greater in the Afternoon
    Aerobic capacity (endurance) is approximately 4percent higher in the afternoon.
    • Injuries Are Less Likely in the Afternoon
    Afternoon exercise is the best if you want to avoid injuries for many reasons. We are most alert; our body temperature is the highest so our muscles are warm and flexible; and our muscle strength is at its greatest. These three factors make it less likely that we will get injured.
    • Morning Exercisers Are More Consistent
    Even though afternoon exercise might be optimal from a physiological standpoint, research also shows that morning exercisers are more likely to stick to it that late-day athletes.
    • Evening Exercise and Sleep
    Most research supports the idea that exercise can improve sleep quality. But does exercising too late in the evening keep you up? Studies have shown improvements in sleep from both morning and afternoon exercise, so it's not yet clear if evening exercise keeps you up. One study even showed that vigorous exercise half an hour before bedtime did not affect sleep
  • jamesfire680
    Options
    Great question, I work out at all kinds of time during the day/week. The only thing I can say from my own training is not to be rushed! Do what works for you, mix it up if it means getting a great workout in. You will only get out of it what you put into it.

Good luck
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    . One study even showed that vigorous exercise half an hour before bedtime did not affect sleep

bow chicka bow wow...
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The advantage for me is consistency. If I work out first thing in the morning, I get it done.
  • sky705
    sky705 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree - best time is when it works for you. Calories burned are calories burned regardless of time of day.
  • Nicks_scotland
    Options
    . One study even showed that vigorous exercise half an hour before bedtime did not affect sleep

bow chicka bow wow...

RAFL