Dispelling the Turkey vs. Beef Myth

Options
I'll preface this post by saying that, right now, my primary goal is to lose weight. As such, I'm counting calories and nothing more...

HOWEVER, I can see the benefits of ground turkey burgers over red meat burgers, especially if you're someone who eats a lot of red meat as it is. These substitutions can certainly go a long way towards a healthy lifestyle.

Now for my post...

I have a roommate who's trying to "make sacrifices" here and there to lose weight after being semi-inspired by my weight loss over the last 2 months. One of his sacrifices has been making turkey burgers rather than beef burgers. When he came home from the supermarket with a batch of ground turkey I suggested that he was spending too much money on a solution that doesn't actually do anything...he went off on how white meat is healthier than red meat and that I didn't know what I was talking about (keep in mind that since I started dieting and learning about losing weight he's put on about 5 pounds in 2 months). I politely bowed out of the argument and let him eat his admittedly less tasty burgers.

When I make burgers at home on my diet I make sacrifices as well...to my wallet. I spend the money and buy 93% lean beef, reduced fat sargento sliced cheese and whole grain buns. It costs significantly more than the 85% lean burgers with american cheese and potato rolls that I grew up on. However, my roommate thinks I'm wasting money on leaner beef and brand name low-fat cheeses...well, here are the facts...

Ground Turkey has more calories, sodium, fat, and cholesterol and it has LESS Protein than 93% Lean Beef. It's advantage comes in the form of potassium (admittedly it's a landslide) which I've been told can stimulate weight loss to an extent although I have a hard time believing that the potassium benefit of a turkey burger over a beef burger every week or two would actually have an affect.

Don't believe me? Here are the numbers straight from the food database...

Ground Turkey (4oz):

Calories 193
Sodium 88 mg
Total Fat 11 g
Potassium 221 mg
Saturated 3 g
Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 3 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 4 g
Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g
Protein 22 g
Cholesterol 84 mg

93% Lean Ground Beef (4oz):

Calories 170
Sodium 70 mg
Total Fat 8 g
Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 3 g
Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g
Protein 23 g
Cholesterol 65 mg

Anyway, this has been a long post that I've been meaning to write about for a while. If anyone has evidence to support that I'm way off base here, let me know! Otherwise, hopefully I've shared some valuable information with those of you who are spending more money on ground turkey to substitute for an all-time favorite (at least in my case...) traditional cheeseburger!

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    You know there are different levels of ground turkey right. Just like ground beef has different levels.

You can purchase lean ground turkey meat (97%) and regular ground turkey meat (80%). The latter being mostly dark meat which is higher in fat and calories.

It looks like the calories you provided are for the dark meat. Compare apples to apples and see if there is a difference.

I found out recently that leaner cuts of meat are injected with sodium solutions to give them "fullness" whatever that means.

I guess either way you are trading off something.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    My only comment would be that you don't seem to have all of your turkey facts. You have specific beef (93% lean), but not so with turkey, which also comes in various percentages.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this! I've always wondered what the deal with turkey burgers vs. beef burgers was. I love turkey but have never had a turkey burger and I LOVE red meat so I've been curious but not too sure. :) Now I know!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    here's what I found for 93% lean turkey. It does seem to be less. But not a huge difference IMHO

Jennie-O brand

Calories 160 Sodium 85 mg
    Total Fat 8 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 3 g Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 22 g
    Cholesterol 80 mg
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great analysis, but I would say that wouldn't it also depend on the % fat in the ground turkey, much like your choice of 93% vs 85% ground beef? In either case, I think the values are very close and you might select the beef if you wanted a burger patty.

My ground turkey comes from Kroger (http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/kroger/ground-turkey/) and I would still use it in chili, pasta sauce, and meatloaf before I used ground beef.
  • kilburni
    kilburni Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks!...I wasn't aware that there were different cuts of ground turkey as I've only ever noticed one type of package in the store next to about (what seems like) 12 different packages of beef...

However, Here are stats from the database on 93/7 Lean Turkey...

Calories 160
    Sodium 85 mg
    Total Fat 8 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 3 g
    Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 22 g
    Cholesterol 80 mg

After looking at these numbers I'll still maintain that I'd rather have the 93 lean beef than the 93 lean turkey at the expense of 10 calories!

Also, in support of my post up top, my roommate bought 80%!
  • kilburni
    kilburni Posts: 22
    Options
    Sorry for the incorrect analysis up top by the way! This is exactly what I'd hoped for out of the thread though :)
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    i'm trying a turkey burger tonight but if i dont like it i'm sticking to my lowest fat beef!! i dont see that there is such a GREAT amount of difference to eat something i dont really like...we will see. i dont eat a ton of red meat anyway so i would be ok!

i agree with you though...low fat beef/whole wheat bun/low fat everything and its fine!
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I eat both - turkey and beef and I buy both as lean as possible, as with all my proteins. Right now Im only counting calories - it seems to work for me at this time. My biggest issue has always been portion control, so my focus is really on how much Im eating of any given item.

I will say that if I want a burger...I want it to be beef. Turkey just isnt the same.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Personally I have no intention of giving up a good ole hamburger now and then but have done like you, lean , organic when I can afford it, all grain bun if I have one depending on the day and lower fat cheeses. However, if seasoned properly I like a good turkey burger also. Either grilled outside or on the George foreman. Good thread.
  • JeniF1979
    JeniF1979 Posts: 18
    Options
    This is what I found about the ground turkey that I eat...and I have lost 15 pounds substituting it. I do agree about the taste of the turkey burger though, it is pretty tasteless! But turkey DEFINITELY goes further and I substitute it in my tacos and spaghetti. If I want a burger, I agree....the leanest ground beef I can find:)

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 4 (4 oz.) servings
    Amount per Serving
    Calories 160 Calories from Fat 70
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 8g 12%
    Saturated Fat 2.5g 12%
    Cholesterol 80mg 27%
    Sodium 85mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Protein 22g 44%
    Calcium 2%
    Iron 10%
    Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 45.0% Carbs 0.0%
    Protein 55.0%
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm not to fond of ground turkey. I always thought it was "healthier" until I compared it to sirloin!
    I much much rather have ground beef than ground turkey!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    MEIJER EXTRA LEAN 96/4 GROUND BEEF
    Serving Size: 4 oz. (112g)

Amount per Serving

Calories 150 Calories from Fat 40

% Daily Value *
    Total Fat 4.5g 7%
    Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
    Cholesterol 65mg 22%
    Sodium 60mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 25g 50%
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i sometimes use turkey, but usually stick to my lean beef :)

i am not a heavy eat meater... maybe 2-3 times a week but if i were a daily meat eater (which i may be once i move in with my farmer, meat and potato loving man lol) i will likely substitute it more, i don't know if this goes for men too? but as a woman i have read, and been told by my doc that i should have RED meat no more then twice a week....

and because of my colitis now, even less if I can avoid it.

so i don't think the swap out is so much to do with caloric differences as it is the percentage of red meat one should be consuming?

ps - if you research red meat consumption you will find it linked to colon issues/cancers etc.... which is why as a person with colitis i monitor my intake (or would if i was eating meat often)... I would assume this also has a lot to do with hormones and additives etc. and dunno if this research is the same if you were eating free range/ grass fed etc etc.... none grocery store product. :)
    food for thought? :smile:
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks!...I wasn't aware that there were different cuts of ground turkey as I've only ever noticed one type of package in the store next to about (what seems like) 12 different packages of beef...

However, Here are stats from the database on 93/7 Lean Turkey...

Calories 160
    Sodium 85 mg
    Total Fat 8 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 3 g
    Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 22 g
    Cholesterol 80 mg

After looking at these numbers I'll still maintain that I'd rather have the 93 lean beef than the 93 lean turkey at the expense of 10 calories!

Also, in support of my post up top, my roommate bought 80%!
    I'm with you. I find the turkey burger so tasteless and would rather do other substitutions and still enjoy my burger. I do the whole wheat sandwich thins instead of regular hamburger buns. I have found that ground turkey is fine in terms of how it tastes (for my family) when it is something with a lot of other flavors - spaghetti sauce, chili, sometimes tacos.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you guys know you can buy (at least in my area) 99% fat free ground turkey breast right?

it's quite a bit better than even the leanest ground beef in terms of fat and calories per serving, and it has more protein.

here's the numbers:
    1 serving 4 oz.
    Calories 125
    Total Fat 0.8g
    Sat. Fat 0.2g
    Trans Fat < 0.1g
    Cholesterol 70mg
    Sodium 55mg 2%
    Total Carbs. 0g
    Dietary Fiber 0g
    Protein 27.8g
    Calcium 11.3mg
    Potassium 331.1mg

NOW, this doesn't mean I make turkey burgers, I don't, I think it's the blandest thing in the world. But like most others, I do use it for any recipe that calls for ground beef. Like when I make spaghetti squash lasagna, or Sheppard's pie ...etc.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I love me some beef! :) I tried the whole sub for turkey thing and I didn't like it. It's not as flavorful. I eat beef about once or twice a week, and I get the 80:20. Fat=flavor of course! However, I can see someone who eats it much more often to sub for turkey. My next venture is to find grass-fed beef...
  • ao266
    ao266 Posts: 1
    Options
    A low fat beef burger is more palatable than a low fat turkey burger. The beef is still moist and its flavor comes from a better cut of meat. I even ditched turkey hot dogs for 97% beef hotdogs with 45 calories. Get the fat out of both meats and turkey’s caloric advantage disappears, along with my appetite for it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    In that lean ground beef burgers aren't especially high calorie, I don't get the drive to replace them with something slightly lower in calories. I like turkey a lot--just had a turkey sandwich for lunch, will defend its place and deliciousness on the Thanksgiving table--but ground turkey doesn't appeal to me and there's nothing really problematic about lean beef that I can see. But then one of the diet things I don't get is the fear of all but the leanness cuts of meat (boneless, skinless chicken breasts, I'm looking at you). I suspect that meat isn't the culprit for most people's overeating, especially if you just watch the portion size, and even if it is for someone there's a huge range of not especially high calorie meat options. I still eat a wide range, including ground beef burgers, of course, in addition to fish and chicken (although I actually prefer my chicken breast bone-in and even skin on).
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Over the last several years my husband and I use turkey burger in almost everything. The main reason was cost. Around here it is half the cost of beef 93 for 93. We do however use beef for hamburgers and generally it's when I can find 93 on sale which is still 3.69-3.99/lb if it's not on sale beef buyer is 5.99/lb and turkey burger at Costco is 2.79/lb. Damn hay prices.