HRM chest band

Options
Looking for suggestions on an HRM. I think the one that wraps around the chest is more accurate from what I have read. Any one have suggestions for a good HRM. All I need is a calorie burn count thats accurate.

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing Polars being hailed as a really good and affordable one. I happen to be getting a Garmin Forerunner 110, not sure how good it is yet.. time will tell.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    POLAR FT7 - bought for about $70, is reliable and durable - Ive used mine nonstop since I got it early last fall - twice a day every day...usually wear it 3- 4 hours/day. Cant say enough good things about it. GET ONE. or try the FT4....
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I use a Zephyr Bluetooth HRM (http://www.zephyr-technology.com/fitness/) which works with my android phone.
    I then use Endomondo which tracks pretty much everything as well as uploads directly to MFP with my excercise.
  • sclark70
    sclark70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod try the Wahoo Fitness. It is a great product and links to MFP through a few apps, I use Digifit.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.wahoofitness.com/

I use my every day and have seen great results, just by being able to track my heart rate. I find that I strive for a better burn just to see that I am in the correct zones in the iCardio app through Digifit!!
  • sudowpa2
    Options
    I am using the FT4 and it has a chest band...

It works very very well....

Note: When you turn it on.. make sure you are in the bathroom and away from anyone else to have a chest band so that it will register with your watch and strap.

All the time that I wear it, it seems to have the same freq as the one used on the treadmill and elliptical so it will display my heart rate without having to touch the handles...

The thing with it is that if you sweat a lot prepare to have a little can of Lysol for it. You have to wash it after every use and before you use it you just have to damp it for the contacts.

I usually will wear it for 3-4 hours at the gym non stop so by the time I'm done its drenched in sweat... so I have to use soap and water to wash it at the gym and then i spray it with Lysol for the Oder. But that is just me.

The strap is really comfortable even for a big guy like me.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Polar is good, especially for the price, FT4's seem popular, I had a FT7 which worked great. Did get a different HRM later because I wanted something more advanced for my running, not because the FT7 wasn't good.
  • anewpath
    anewpath Posts: 200
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and absolutely love it! I like the amount of info it gives me. When I was shopping for one I wasn't as interested in what it offers but went up a notch on what I bought so I could grow into it. I rinse the chest strap afer each use and haven't had a problem.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Polar with a chest strap, Great deals on Amazon!
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much :smile:
  • Lsteedly85
    Lsteedly85 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with the polar. Scope it out online the FT5 was on a clearance a while back at Target, HH Gregg, and a few other places, dropping it 50% off to $51.00.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love my Timex Ironman Triathlon.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I'm in love with my Garmin 310xt, but I use the GPS and bike cadence stuff as well as the HRM features. Polar were the first ones to use heart rate to train athletes, and defined the consumer HRM market early, you won't go wrong with a Polar. I chose garmin over polar purely because 1) for the features I wanted, the price was higher with Polar, and 2) I prefer the data format of the garmin. I did really like the polar site's training features, how it would create a training regimen based on your HR results for various workouts and modify itself to keep you from over/under training. That was neat.

One thing that will fix the problem with registering other people's chest straps/heart beats - get one with an encoded chest strap. Little pricier, but you won't have to worry about whether your monitor is picking up other people's data. Pair them when you're at home, and you won't have to deal with it again.
  • misselemental
    misselemental Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 all the way! They are on sale right now too on Amazon.com for $71!
  • pboroaddick
    pboroaddick Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have had the Polar FT7 for a couple of years. It is comfortable, easy to use and accurate. I have recently changed the batteries without problem in the chest strap and watch for the first time. Also most cardio gym equipment will pick up the heart rate from the chest strap.
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 all the way! They are on sale right now too on Amazon.com for $71!
    This seems to be everyones fave!! FT$ it is :happy:
  • mt2008
    mt2008 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sears has the bronze FT4 on sale for $45 or so. I ordered mine Saturday!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00614450000P