just me?

I have a client who i have been training since November. She is really in to 5ks.

Recently, she asked if i would do a 5k md run with her. I hemmed and hawed (i'm NOT a distance runner). It's in summer. In SE Texas. I said i would think about it (i want to support her).

Next thing i know, i am Team Leader with 10+ (the + is because every time i open my texts, we have more people)

She wants me to help them train. Fine, i can do that.

But some people cant meet on Saturdays, so i should be free Wednesdays too. And some people arent local, so i need to type and email my workout to them by thursday.

And since we will only meet twice a week, i need to print 5 days of bodyweight workouts for everyone to do when we arent meeting.

For the next 14 weeks.

And since i was an Art major, i need to design shirts and come up with a team name.

Did i mention the part where i dont get paid?

And i spend gas money meeting them where they want to meet?

And i pay a total of $140 on race day alone?

And since its out of town, i should get a hotel?

With the money i wont be making for training almost a dozen people 4 hours at a time, with customized take home workouts?

Am i totally in the wrong for almost sh***ing a brick?

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Well I sure as hell wouldn't do it.
  • No I think she should have waited for you to give her a definate answer about doing it.....THEN talk to you about all the other stuff and see if it was ok with you first. I would be pretty upset myself if that was me.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    She must be REAL HOT!
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    it's the area between your nose and your chin that gets you into trouble............says my Mom everytime i complain about something i am chosing to do.....
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Um, I would tell her No.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    I guess the practical thing to do is just sit down and talk to her about all the details you'd have to cover and let her know as nicely as possible that you have to back out of this one. Surely she will see your point!

It is good to learn how to draw boundaries, gives us self-respect :smile:
  • TiffersStr1
    TiffersStr1 Posts: 67 Member
    I'd tell her that you are going to start charging every person X amount of dollars.Just for your time!! .INCLUDING her! I get so aggravated with people who take advantage of others. :mad: :explode: :angry: :grumble:
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Sounds like you need to find and learn a way to say no politely. I don't suppose you've spoken with her about how overwhelmed you are?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Learn to say "no." Together with me now, "no!" Okay, again, "N.o.!"
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Awww, not only NO, but HELL, NO!

And with all the time you're spending on all of the aforementionentioned list of "duties" are you also going to be losing money on the clients that would have been paying you?

Look, I say this as someone who HAD to learn to say no, because I'm nice. Nice to the point of letting myself get talked into doing things for certain organizations and it darn near putting me in the bed from exhaustion.

People at least need to ASK if you are able and available to do this, especially when you said you would think about it. That is about as non-commital as you get without coming right out and saying no.

Edited to add: I've just re-checked my calendar and my schedule isn't going to allow me to do all of this. I have other responsibilities that I have committed to, and the weekend of the 5K just doesn't work for me...
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    I think you need to pretty much give her the outline you just gave us, let everyone know what you're willing to do, and delegate out the rest.

Which I bet about 50 people have posted since I read your message and finished writing my own, hehe.
  • DIG_
    DIG_ Posts: 20
    damn... should have mentioned payment at the very beginning.

is it the tough mudder?
  • Thanks, guys and gals! I waffled because i wasnt sure if saying no was unreasonable.

i dont even know what mud run it is-i got a list of days everyone is free and a "fit by _____" date.

it threw me off since i didnt say "yes" to anything >.<
  • alettep
    alettep Posts: 56 Member
    I would just have them google the "Couch to 5k" plan, simple, easy to follow, & you're off the hook! (+ it's FREE!!!)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Tell them to download the C25K app, and you'll see them on race day.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    I would just have them google the "Couch to 5k" plan, simple, easy to follow, & you're off the hook! (+ it's FREE!!!)

JINX!
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Awww NAAAAWWWW! No effing way!
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    This is your job, as much as you love it, it is a job. We do jobs to get paid.

So if they don't pay, they don't get trained, simple.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Umm I have one word for you: BOUNDARIES.

Being firm and clear about your boundaries--what you are and arent' willing to do with reason, and she should understand.

For example: *
    "I am willing to be available every other Saturday from 9:00 - 10:30 to work with those who can make the meetings. Since this is for charity, I will only charge for one person--even if more show up, and if nobody shows up, somebody's got to pay me for my time anyway. But I really can't be responsible for mailing workouts to people who can't be here, or making t-shirts. That's gonna have to be somebody else's job."
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Learn to say "no." Together with me now, "no!" Okay, again, "N.o.!"

This,

I'm an artist so I can relate. Everyone thinks it would be "fun" for me to design a logo for them, or draw their kid/pet, or illustrate their children's book. Usually they really think it would be fun for me I think, I don't think they realize how rude it is.

So you need to learn to say no. I go with "I'd be happy to do that for you. Here's how much I charge. Let me know if you're still interested." It takes practice but it gets easier.