Suggested alternatives to Peanutbutter?

Options
My husband and I travel a lot and one of our staples is pb&j - it is easy to fit in the motorcycle and dosen't need refrigeration.
Does anybody have any good suggestions that are alternatives to peanut butter?
Hopefully something I can get in a travel size?

Replies

• Sylv93
    Sylv93 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't know about travel size (although you could always just pre-mix it and put it in a little pot or something) but have you considered PB2? It's a low fat/calories powdered equivalent to peanut butter. Happy travels! :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My husband and I travel a lot and one of our staples is pb&j - it is easy to fit in the motorcycle and dosen't need refrigeration.
    Does anybody have any good suggestions that are alternatives to peanut butter?
    Hopefully something I can get in a travel size?

Speculoos1.jpg

51nUe5hPgiL._SX385_.jpg
  • Jamers1120
    Options
    Where do you find that PB2?? Is it a powder that you mix with something?
  • Misseena
    Misseena Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    PB2 is a powdered peanut butter than you mix with water (2 tablespoons mix w/ 1 tablespoon water). It also comes in chocolate peanut butter. You can buy them both (often as a box set) on Amazon! I just started buying in about three weeks ago, and I'm addicted.

If you mix equal parts Chocolate PB2 w/ Cool Whip Free, it makes an amazing frosting (I use it on 3-2-1 cakes). It's also amazing eaten directly out of the bowl as it tastes a bit like a melted Reeses' Peanut Butter Cup!

On a side note: PB2 definitely has a different texture then real peanut butter. But the flavor is super good and it absolutely satisfies my cravings for peanut butter. The website has tons of recipes for the stuff too, so you won't ever run out of ideas! I'm a little obsessed with it! :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for lunch alternatives that are also easy and don't require refrigeration, or are you looking to save calories on PB?

I don't have a fridge at work, so I bring foods that don't need to be kept cold. I mix canned tuna with hummus and salsa to create a yummy slop that doesn't need a fridge. I hard boil eggs ahead of time and bring those. I have raw almonds in my desk.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with peanut butter?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Get a good natural PB to save on the sodium, but otherwise, PB is a nutritionally sound food.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed this in the original post, but why do you need an alternative? If it's to save on calories/sugar/carbs, I too vote PB2. You can buy it online if it's not in your local stores.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Speculoos1.jpg

^^^ I buy this at Publix. It's sold as Biscoff Spread in the U.S. There are creamy and crunchy versions. It's awesome!

biscoff-spread-wtb-150x150.jpg
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the Health Food store to check on that PB2. It sounds great & less fattening then regular PB! I don't have an Amazon account so hoping the Health Food Stores have it! BTW, when I'm out Riding my Bike I always have bottled water & Protein Bars so when I stop somewhere I have something to snack on, jus sayin..... :smile: Ride Safe :happy:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I like PB2 for in smoothies... But personally I don't find it a substitute say on toast for the real thing. Some people seem to like it on its own though so may be worth a try. Does store well and less calories than PB. X
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Since when does peanut butter need to be refrigerated?

ETA: never mind, I misread the original post and someone else mentioned non-refrigerated alternatives.
  • data356
    Options
    Peanut butter is a staple in my diet. I love almond butter too! I usually buy only plain peanut butter with no added junk and skip the jelly. Also use high fiber wheat bread from Costco.
  • slamb1020
    slamb1020 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    im a peanut butter freak! lol love it.. but i would say that PB2 is a great substitute! i just ran out of the original and i am going to get the chocolate today! :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You can also get almond butter and cashew butter.
  • sagesmom05
    Options
    Where do you find that PB2?? Is it a powder that you mix with something?
    \
    got mine from amazon
  • TheRealPDouble
    Options

Lots of things.... but none of them justify finding an alternative for such a tasty food....
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

^^^^^ this
  • andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I will stick with the real think. Kraft makes a natural crunchy peanut butter that is amazing. Just peanuts. Considering how seldom I have it.