Salad complaining

Options
I started bringing a big salad to work to eat with my lunch. The tub holds about 40 fluid oz, so it's a good 5 cups of lettuce at least. It stuffs me! I have a small turkey sandwich after so I can get some protein and carbs in. I'm full and ready to go back to work.

30minutes later...I'm starting to feel kind of hungry again.

Stupid non-lasting bulk! :mad:

Any suggestions on how to keep myself satisfied/full longer?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein. Can you dice up some hard boiled egg on your salad? Throw in some nuts? Take the turkey off your sandwich, leave the sandwich part at home, and put the turkey on your salad? All of the above?
    Lettuce has very little nutritional value.
  • williams3023
    Options
    Water Water Water Water Water Water Water :) and maybe some fruit.

Or perhaps an organic PB and Jelly Sandwich...that does the trick for me.
  • sunnysashka
    sunnysashka Posts: 296
    Options
    Cittage cheese (non fat) fills me up very well. Try it with fruits like apple+kiwi+orange. Mix it all yourself. Don't buy those which are already premade. The have a lot of artificial flavours in it.
  • jwcrater31
    Options
    i would add tomatoes, lil boiled egg, carrots, few crouton, low fat cheese, to help with your salad. Me and my wife make salads at home for supper or lunch sometimes and we use these pre-cooked chicken breasts that are frozen. heat them up in microwave for about 4 mins and they are great cut up in your salad. 170 calories for chicken and good source of protein
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Silly me! I should have added this to my original posting: I add dried cranberries and almonds to it. And I've already had like 60oz of water today. :drinker: I also eat a pretty high amount of protein early in the day. My sandwich is one of the Arnold sandwich thins with about 2 servings of turkey on it.

I like the PB idea! More fats in it than the turkey and a nice change. Cottage cheese is a great idea, but I'm lactose intolerant. :(

Thanks for all the suggestions! :)
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    i would add tomatoes, lil boiled egg, carrots, few crouton, low fat cheese, to help with your salad. Me and my wife make salads at home for supper or lunch sometimes and we use these pre-cooked chicken breasts that are frozen. heat them up in microwave for about 4 mins and they are great cut up in your salad. 170 calories for chicken and good source of protein

Quick and easy! That pulls at my lazy heart strings!
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I always add some type of protein to my salad. Either some grilled chicken or a hard boiled egg. Lettuce is mostly water so the protein keeps me full.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein. Can you dice up some hard boiled egg on your salad? Throw in some nuts? Take the turkey off your sandwich, leave the sandwich part at home, and put the turkey on your salad? All of the above?
    Lettuce has very little nutritional value.

All of this!!! Strawberries are also great in salad... dressing that goes great is honey mustard (cut down calories by making your own. honey, mustard, sour cream, beat until it's not lumpy).
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I keep fiber bars in my desk - the kellogg fiber plus bars are really good and only have about 130 calories. they fill me up and hold me for a few hours.

I also keep 100 calorie snack packs in my desk because they satisfy my mid-afternoon craving for sweets.

Tea also helps me to not feel hungry and if you drink it black it has no calories. But I don't have any trouble sleeping at night so don't need to worry about caffeine. I think it's the caffeine that suppresses by appetite.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    How about baby spinach instead of lettuce? More nutrition and still very few calories.
  • artsyuno
    artsyuno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Add more crunchy stuff -- carrot, celery, cucumber, red cabbage, cauliflower, etc. I find that holds me longer than lettuce. In fact, I often skip the lettuce and make a salad entirely of the crunchy veggies.
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    I have a salad that I make that is delish! I get Tyson Fajita chicken strips, Spinach leaves, Red bell peppers, Cherry Tomatos, Reduced fat Feta cheese, and Kraft EVOO Greek Vinagrette dressing and it keeps me full for hours!!! I hope that helps! I love this salad.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Definitely add protein. And you said you were already adding nuts, so that's a good fat that will keep you full. You need to bulk that salad up or you will be hungry soon after!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    add some chick peas
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    What sort of greens are you using for your salad? A base of mixed greens and spinach is going to be a lot more fiber and protein than iceberg. So if you're just using iceberg, I would try mixing that up a little (that'll also add a lot of vitamins). I second all the ideas for eggs and nuts and so on.

Maybe try a different protein source on the sandwich? I've personally never found deli meat to be as satisfying as grilled chicken breast or turkey breast. Grill up some chicken breasts and chop it up on your salad.

Finally, I've been making salads out of finely chopped broccoli lately. HOLY FILLING! You can also often find broccoli slaw at the grocery store.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    So far this week I've had a hard time keeping full. Last week I ate a hard boiled egg nearly every day with some mustard and some cottage cheese with blueberries. It is amazing how full that combo made me!

Arielle!- You're so bright! lol! Who knew honey mustard would be so simple to make? Thank you! I LOVE HONEY MUSTARD!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll definitely be using them. :)