Girls who lift!

Options
2»

Replies

• Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Another New Rules 4 Women convert here. I absolutely love it. It makes you feel so powerful and confident!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    U can add me, don't do the whole lifting thing at the gym but lift heavy at home with workouts :)
  • Chilipop
    Options
    Started Starting Strength recently. It is fun as hell. I was in a line of work that required a lot of lifting prepwork (video and audio shows) so I wanted to stop being the stereotypical shrimp that needed help with all the speakers.

Yay for female lifters!
  • S_Delbridge
    Options
    I would love to start lifting! What is this NR everyone is talking about ?! any other suggestions on begining!?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I just started new rules of lifting for women and am finding it too easy. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I don't feel satisfied leaving the gym if I'm not all 'puffed out'. I used to do more cardio at the gym but mostly high intensity and then some weights, admittedly not as heavy as I'm currently lifting. There are big rests between sets that I feel are a bit boring and you are only meant to do two sets of the exercises which feels a bit easy, especially the non-weighted ones like the weird ball thing - think its known as the jackknife. I went from doing 60 squats, presups, tricep dips, lunges, and plank about 4 times a week and am struggling to lay off from this and rest like the book tells you to. I am excited to change my body to have more muscle and reduce the fat and the book has some really interesting points like woman's body's ae more likely to be more muscular on the front in comparison to the back, causing problems such as neck ache when doing too many sit-ups. I totally get a sore neck when I do sit-ups and I just thought it was bad form!

Up your weights :wink:
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would love to start lifting! What is this NR everyone is talking about ?! any other suggestions on begining!?

New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women: http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398

Some good reading online: http://www.stumptuous.com/
  • azwildcats7
    azwildcats7 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a cardio junkie and am currently doing turbofire but am strongly considering a strength training program next. I've heard a lot about this one and am definitely going to take a look at the book. My main question is, is this a program that I can follow at home with dumbbells or do I need to be in a gym with barbells? Our gym doesn't have a daycare so it's hard for me to get there consistently so I really need something that's doable at home. I was considering purchasing Les Mills Pump since I've done it before in a gym and liked it but the more I read about it, it's not a strength training program but still cardio?? Forgive me for my naiveness on this subject!
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm in stage 1 of The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Add me if you'd like! Love to see other ladies lifting! Wish I would have done it sooner!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Peaked out on Starting Strength, now doing Wendler's 5-3-1 and CrossFit once a week. Loving Wendler's and hoping to keep it up at least three days a week once I start half marathon training.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just started NROLFW too! I want to get STROONNNNGGG!!!

@ azwildcats7 - I'm doing it at home, the book has suggestions for exercised to replace the cable machine exercises.
    I already had a swiss ball, I bought a parir of dumbells that use weight plates and a barbell. I'm using an old solid coffee table for step-ups and in place of a bench
    I also did "you are your own gym" which was a strength training routine based entirely on body weight exercises. There's a book, website, phone app, and now a DVD. It's great if you plan on working out at home and don't want to invest in equipment quite yet!
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I do strength training three times a week (besides doing Ripping in 30 or something similar). I'm currently doing a modified version of StrongLifts 5x5 (modified by me lol).

Anyway, gonna send you a love message now :)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    There is a really active group for women using New Rules (Myself Included!) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
    And here is a Women Weight Lifting Group, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/771-women-strength-training

Welcome!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I lift. It's my primary exercise. I love strength training. I'm currently doing P90x with extra work outs here and there. I'm training for fitness competition. You can add me if your bout it bout it.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I would love to start trying weights. I have no idea where to begin though. I just might check out this New Rules book you are talking about.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE lifting. And lifting heavy & eating clean, ADD ME! :D
  • poshlust78
    Options
    I use a trainer also, but my contract is up in two months and I don't plan on renewing (SO much money!!). I really need to learn how to lift on my own! Feel free to add me - it would be nice to have someone I could use as an example!
    -Heather
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    You should never walk away from lunges or squats without your legs feelings like jello

Ahahaha, WIN!

OP: I lift heavy, not following any one particular popular program, but similar to Stronglifts with other stuff added in: chin-ups, clean & presses, and other more plyometric-type exercises (med ball slams, wall balls, squat/lunge jumps, box jumps, etc) to complement my strength training.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just did my first NROL4W workout yesterday. Mildly sore today (feel the twinges), scared for tomorrow, lol.

i am so excited. I just want to be able to real pushups, and maybe one day (all my fingers and toes crossed) a chinup!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    You should never walk away from lunges or squats without your legs feelings like jello

Ahahaha, WIN!

OP: I lift heavy, not following any one particular popular program, but similar to Stronglifts with other stuff added in: chin-ups, clean & presses, and other more plyometric-type exercises (med ball slams, wall balls, squat/lunge jumps, box jumps, etc) to complement my strength training.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

that's all in New Rules of Lifting for Women lol