Weight Watchers?????

mbrownks77
mbrownks77 Posts: 137
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi All! I have a friend that has lost 30 lbs. with ww online. I can't afford to pay the $50 dollars for it. Was wondering if anyone could tell me, can you lose weight by just using the book and dining out companion? I'vebeen watching it on ebay and just wondered if that is all I would need to calculate points correctly. Thanks for any help u may give!

Replies

• mady2806
    mady2806 Posts: 23 Member
    I actually have done weight watchers over the past 10 years off and on. Yes you can lose weight just by using those 2 books. I've done it all on my own and have kept off 20 pounds. Good luck. I'm here for support.
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    i did ww online only and it cost $16.95 a month. where is the $50 a month coming from?
  • ♥seoid♥
    is that the start up fee?
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    There is enough info available bewtween this site and the internet that I was able to do better this time than when I did weight watchers.

You just get crazy counting points for awhile.

And they are always changing their plans.

I figure counting calories and nutritional info will never go out of style.
  • ♥seoid♥
    and.....sorry to be a board hog......why not use this site? it's free and it works!
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    I think you can do it without buying anything. Your friend can explain the basics to you. All you need to do is find out how many points you are allowed and have a way to see how many points everything is. You can find all of that online (for free!)
  • lucky1ns
    Just google points calculator.
  • iwantthis
    iwantthis Posts: 15 Member
    Many of the people I know, that have done WW successfully were so because they went to the weekly meetings. The accountability that created - aided them in their success. Keep that in mind... best of luck whatever you decide!!
  • rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    using this site is just as easy as wieght watchers. I did ww and lost about 20 pounds, but I find that this is the same thing, just not in points
  • AmandaB4588
    I do agree with everyone else that this site is way better though. Not only is it free, but it allows you to strive for a balanced diet whereas Weight Watchers isn't shoving your sodium intake in your face!
  • ♥seoid♥
    one more thing.....ww worked for me, yes, but i spent a ton of money and gained every pound back. so i lost tons of money and got nothing in return.
  • lucky1ns
    I do agree with everyone else that this site is way better though. Not only is it free, but it allows you to strive for a balanced diet whereas Weight Watchers isn't shoving your sodium intake in your face!

I agree.

The key to my WW success was that I found all sorts of low point meals to eat that as it turns out were really high in sodium and really low in fiber.

MFP really forces me to look at my choices to ensure they are not only low in points but that I am eating a healthy combination of foods.

For example, I recently realized that I eat way too much pretein and not nearly enough fiber.
  • LMN412
    LMN412 Posts: 1
    I did it (55 lbs) without signing up and I used the two books, but I also used the slider (paper nutrition calculator) to figure out points on some of my foods.

You also need to know based on your weight and height (maybe age) how many points you are allowed in a day. I am 5'4 and when I got down to 150, my allowable point range dropped to 18-22 pts. per day, 18 to lose and 22 if one is on a maintenance plan. (I can't remember what it was at a higher weight but you might be able to find that info somewhere online.) I was also trying to do 3 mile brisk walks several days a week. There are variables that you could learn more about by attending a group or using other resources, like banking points and how exercise affects your allowable points.

I think it's a great program, if you choose healthier food you obviously get to have a decent portion of it, but one glazed doughnut will cut 5 points out of an 18 point day pretty quickly :P The books help a lot but they also recommend keeping a journal, which you are probably already doing here!

I still apply the WW lifestyle and portions to this day. Good Luck.
  • mbrownks77
    mbrownks77 Posts: 137
    Thanks all! The $50 was for 3 months. And, I just wondered if doing it would be less time consuming sometimes. I really love this site but was justwondering what everyone thought! I've been feeling really discouraged lately and just feel like I'm spinning in circles!
  • AmandaB4588
    Many of the people I know, that have done WW successfully were so because they went to the weekly meetings. The accountability that created - aided them in their success. Keep that in mind... best of luck whatever you decide!!

That is definitely the benefit of actual WW meetings. Fortunately, there are great groups on here that can really help with accountability as well.
  • ♥seoid♥
    stop spinning - walk straight and join us! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.