Computer geeks please come here!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
My 'puter is making me crazy! Whenever I type the cursor goes nuts and the letters get all messed up. I can't even type fast because the words get all jumbled up because the cursor keeps skipping all over the screen and inserting letters I've just typed into other words or parts of the sentence where they don't belong.

I have a Dell laptop that is brand new. It's hard to explain but letters that I type will "jump" around and insert themselves in other words. Or my entire screen will just jump and disappear for a second. Weird! It just started doing this! I've never had this problem before. This just took me forever to type because I had to correct it so many times.

Any idea as to what is going on? Thanks so much! I have windows 8 and I hate it!

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Do you have a wireless mouse connected?
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    That happened to me before but it just stopped, I'm not sure what it was and I don't know how it happened. Is the mousepad cleaned off? Once in a while a dog hair or cat hair will get on it and "trigger" it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a mouse issue, as others have said. Or a really odd keyboard issue. Try cleaning the optical lens or using a different mouse.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    some computers have a very sensitive tracking pad (just below the space bar) baerly brushing this can cause the curser to jump

If you are using an external mouse try turning the tracking pad off
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    OOPS it's an ASUS, not a Dell. Duh!
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    I will try a different mouse and see what happens! Thanks!
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I work in I.T. for a school district. A common issue, especially since its a new laptop (not use to typing on it) is that your palm is most likely touching the mouse pad when your typing without you realizing it, thus the letters jumping across the screen. Hope this helps.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I work in I.T. for a school district. A common issue, especially since its a new laptop (not use to typing on it) is that your palm is most likely touching the mouse pad when your typing without you realizing it, thus the letters jumping across the screen. Hope this helps.

Yup. This happens to me all the time.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    when you type, does your palm graze the touchpad? I had this happen too. You can go in and adjust your touchpad sensitivity so that it doesn't happen anymore.

I think... essentially, your palm is touching the pad and it's acting like a mouse.

ETA:
    whoa I should have waited two more minutes... I could have saved myself some effort! lol
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    "Dell Technical Support. How may I help you?"
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Yup, my best guess is that you're accidentally brushing on the touch pad (or maybe is there a small track ball in the center of they keyboard?)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    "Dell Technical Support. How may I help you?"

Sorry, wrong number.. can you google the number for Asus while we're here, though?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    My 'puter is making me crazy! Whenever I type the cursor goes nuts and the letters get all messed up. I can't even type fast because the words get all jumbled up because the cursor keeps skipping all over the screen and inserting letters I've just typed into other words or parts of the sentence where they don't belong.

I have a Dell laptop that is brand new. It's hard to explain but letters that I type will "jump" around and insert themselves in other words. Or my entire screen will just jump and disappear for a second. Weird! It just started doing this! I've never had this problem before. This just took me forever to type because I had to correct it so many times.

Any idea as to what is going on? Thanks so much! I have windows 8 and I hate it!

I'm sure someone has alrady brought this up, but are you dragging your thumbs across the touchpad as you type? I have that problem sometimes when I get tired and my wrists get droopy.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Are you touching the touchpad by accident?
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    when you type, does your palm graze the touchpad? I had this happen too. You can go in and adjust your touchpad sensitivity so that it doesn't happen anymore.

I think... essentially, your palm is touching the pad and it's acting like a mouse.

ETA:
    whoa I should have waited two more minutes... I could have saved myself some effort! lol

How do I adjust the touchpad sensitivity?
  • _Thanatos_
    Options
    I hate laptop touchpads. I usually just turn them off and grab a small USB mouse or something else.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options

ETA:

I think it'd be in the control panel under the mouse settings. I believe it's still labelled that way even if you have a touchpad but don't quote me on that.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

ETA:

I think it'd be in the control panel under the mouse settings. I believe it's still labelled that way even if you have a touchpad but don't quote me on that.

you may also have an app icon in the lower right hand of your screen. Looks like a trackpad with two mouse buttons. Right click > Touchpad properties > touchpad settings
  • SylentZee
    Options
    "My 'puter"

Doctor should be able to clear that up.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I 2nd/3rd (what ever we are up to) the touchpad stuff. I have a wireless mouse I use so I can shut mine off. Mine laptop has a button just above the touchpad that you push to shut it off.