Meal Replacement Bars/Shakes?!?!

Options
Hey all, Just a curious question for those of you more knowlegeable than me on this subject - I know we are supposed to eat three meals and snacks and eat nutritious meaningful calories to make up our total calorie intake, but sometimes its hard for me as a busy working mom to squeeze in those meals. Are meal replacement bars and shakes a good option for those days? Are they really healthy or should they be avoided? I don't eat them every day or replace more than one meal/day with them and usually when I do have one I will pair it with fruit or yogurt so that I feel that I am actually eating a meal. Is this a healthy practice? Which ones are good and which ones are bad? I don't have much time to devote to such research and was hoping some of you already knew the answer!

Replies

• jwcrater31
    Options
    i think eating those especially with the yogurt or fruit is definitely ok. Its better than not eating anything at all. Those bars or shakes usually have alot of good vitamins and minerals you need.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Check the label just like you would anything else. Check the ingredients, if you see things you can't pronounce or words like sugar, high fructose corn syrup, additional flavor or artifical flavor, toss it. I like CLIF bars but unfortunately they're very high calorie so I've pretty much cut them out completely unless I absolutely do not have time to eat and I have the calories to spare and am not going to eat a meal. (I usually just did high-protein bars when I worked out)
  • esco2186
    esco2186 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    http://www.gnc.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3956769

i posted this on another forum but its really good its a lean shake it gives you all you need for nreakfast and lunch...protein calories etc....its really good it cuts down all your fat and tones up everything but when you take it make sure you keep doing your workouts. i drink those and i also eat fruit (apples,oranges grapes etc..) throughout breakfast and lunch too just to have some kind of solid in my stomach instead of just liquid, its really good i drink the vanilla shake (i dnt really like chocolate haha) but vanilla tastes like a vanilla milkshake! make sure the water or milk (i use 1%...thats the only kind of milk i like) its COLD its really really good :) hope this helps you out a little
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    On rare occasions when, for various reasons, I don't have time to eat breakfast I like the Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials - No Sugar Added drinks; my fav being the rich milk chocolate and only 150 calories. It's just starting to wear off by the time my mid morning snack comes around, so it's works for me.
  • jwcrater31
    Options
    south beach diet high protein bars are really good too. 140 calories.
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I feel that if it truly is an healthy bar or shake then it’s ok, but as it was mentioned earlier read the label because a majority of so called "healthy snack bars" you find in the supermarket are full of sugars and other rubbish and are very deceiving. Best advice is to keep fruit handy. I always make sure that I have 3-4 pieces of fruit in my van before I leave out for work and I keep a bag of mixed nuts, dried fruits and seeds in my door pocket that I can snack on.