I'm confused please help

Options
Hi all

I'm new to this site and have started my food and exercise diary this week. I have lost some weight but decided to try counting cals. It says my daily calorie intake should be 1,340 per day. When i add exercise, like yesterday i burnt off 300 cals, it topped up my daily calorie intake. How does this work? Seems odd burning calories then comsuming that amount? Help

Replies

• bluexiii
    bluexiii Posts: 36
    Options
    1340 is the amount you should be consuming to lose weight. This is an amount the site has already calculated for you, meaning it would probably tell you to have 1600-1700 to maintain weight.

If you were to burn 300 calories and then not make them up, you would only be consuming about 1040 calories a day total which is just not enough for your body. Most people plateau in their weight loss because they do not eat back their exercise calories. Eating these calories back keeps your metabolism going and your body going. It is also essential for muscle recovery after your workouts!
  • vjh431
    vjh431 Posts: 38
    Options
    It confuses me a little too but my assumption is that you must consume your daily required intake while utilizing exercise to burn extra calories. I am losing weight so for right now it's working.

829127.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • williams3023
    Options
    Well said, i agree 100%.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    1340 is the amount you should be consuming to lose weight. This is an amount the site has already calculated for you, meaning it would probably tell you to have 1600-1700 to maintain weight.

If you were to burn 300 calories and then not make them up, you would only be consuming about 1040 calories a day total which is just not enough for your body. Most people plateau in their weight loss because they do not eat back their exercise calories. Eating these calories back keeps your metabolism going and your body going. It is also essential for muscle recovery after your workouts!
    Agreed. MFP already puts you at a calorie deficit so you want to eat your workout calories to prevent your body from "starving".
  • Sunshine_state
    Options
    Oh i see. Thanks very much. That has explained it for me so i didn't eat enough yesterday. So tomorrow i plan to burn about 300 cals again. So i need to consume 1640 and still lose weight. That is good news