shakes high on protein

Options
What are the benefits of shakes with high protein? The one I'm drinking has 25g but i see alot of people on here go for the ones with extremely high protein

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    A lot of people, myself included, use them to up your protein intake for the day. It is a convenient way to get protein without having to eat a meal. A high protien shake can also make sure that there is protein in your body on a consistent basis for muscle repair from working out.
  • hailies1989
    hailies1989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The one im on has 25g protein too, it seems to be working fine for me, if you eat enough protein rich foods then that should be enough ,i only have 1 shake after ive been to the gym, then include protein rich foods with my evening meal, if you dont eat many protein rich foods then maybe go for a different shake?
  • steelyjoe22
    steelyjoe22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A lot of people, myself included, use them to up your protein intake for the day. It is a convenient way to get protein without having to eat a meal. A high protien shake can also make sure that there is protein in your body on a consistent basis for muscle repair from working out.

+1. Proteins are especially important if you're working out. Also, in general, proteins make you feel fuller because it takes your body longer to digest them. So for the same number of calories, you're better off to eat protein than simple sugars, since you're less likely to be hungry soon.

I eat a lot of protein. I generally reserve the shakes for after some strength training, but I tend to eat a lot of meat on a daily basis. Light string cheese is also a decent source that I eat a lot of.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    Well, if you're going to drink a protein shake, you're going to want the most bang for your buck, no? So the higher the protein in the shake, the better the cost. Eg. If you're spending $1.00/serving for 20g of protein, you're paying about $0.05/gram. If you're spending $1.00/serving for 30g of protein, you're paying $0.03/gram.

So, factoring that into a week... if you're getting...eh...let's say 60g of protein daily from shakes (the rest from other whole protein sources), the first is going to cost you $21/wk or $1,092/year. The latter is going to cost you $12.60/wk or $655.20/year.

That's a significant savings. :)

(Provided I did my math right. My brain is kinda fried)
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    And just because one type of protein may have more grams of protein in a serving doesn’t mean it’s better. You have to look at the size of the serving and the total calories of the serving. Do the math and figure out which protein has the best ratio of protein calories to total calories. For instance, Wheybolic Extreme 60 has 20g of protein in a 93 calorie scoop (80 of the 93 calories are protein = 86% protein). This is better than ON Gold, which has 24g of protein in a 130 calorie serving (96 of the 130 calories are protein = 74% protein).
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    How big are the servings?

20g of protein from a 20g serving is not the same as 20g of protein from a 100g serving! Obvious statement is obvious!

Also due to the body's limit at absorbing protein, there's only so much worth consuming in one go. I'll have to dig out the study, but I think it's about 15g of protein in a single serving. This is due to how long the shake spends in the digestive system where the protein is absorbed, which is typically about 1.5 hours, and the fact that protein is absorbed at the rate of about 10g per hour.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Also due to the body's limit at absorbing protein, there's only so much worth consuming in one go. I'll have to dig out the study, but I think it's about 15g of protein in a single serving....
    Myth. Here's an article by Alan Aragon (complete with linked/referred studies) which busts that falsehood:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ...Also due to the body's limit at absorbing protein, there's only so much worth consuming in one go. I'll have to dig out the study, but I think it's about 15g of protein in a single serving....
    Myth. Here's an article by Alan Aragon (complete with linked/referred studies) which busts that falsehood:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

Bah...beat me to it.

How do people still believe the garbage about protein absorption being ridiculously low? Wasn't that actually dispelled well over 20 years ago?
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Interesting article, I haven't read it fully yet, I did notice it linked short term studies on protein absorption, which is what I was referring to, however it seems there are also longer term studies, which change the picture. Always interesting to find out something new.

I remember a while back talking about this with one of my friends who is a medical doctor and interested in certain aspects of training, so I'll see if I can find out what he was saying, and why we had looked at the particular studies that we did.