Thighs! :(

chelsinicole
chelsinicole Posts: 37
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have always had rather big thighs (my mom and grandmother do too) and since iv started exercising i have gained alot of muscle there. My thighs are still pretty big and i do squats and lunges and they just get bigger. This is making me feel horrible about myself! Any advice? Am i just stuck with big legs because of genetics?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Check this out, I posted this yesterday. I, too, have always had HUGE thighs. But this is seriously working. More cardio is the way to go, but definitely keep doing what you're doing.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/87784-i-lost-inches?hl=i+lost+inches#posts-1210545
  • Big thighs are in my family and it's really CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO! Hard sweat cardio and nothing more.
    I'd stop the working the legs and once you hit cardio hard and soon VERY SOON you will be just perfect and very toned!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Don't over work the legs, in addition to cardio to burn the fat off, do upper body strength training to give yourself a more balanced look. :-)

HTH
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    I've got larg thighs too...saddle bag type things. I started doing a ton of cardio over weights and circuit training this time around and lo and behold my thighs are changing shape and getting smaller! Go figure.

Cardio cardio cardio. And then I go do weights for arms and crunch type things for back and stomach. Once the weights get easier to lift I go to the next highest set for more resistance. Right now I'm lifting 15 lbs and I've never done that before with free weights.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    I have always had rather big thighs (my mom and grandmother do too) and since iv started exercising i have gained alot of muscle there. My thighs are still pretty big and i do squats and lunges and they just get bigger. This is making me feel horrible about myself! Any advice? Am i just stuck with big legs because of genetics?

As many people have mentioned...do lots of cardio! Keep doing squats and lunges, but maybe only do your strength training 2-3 times a week, not everyday. Running will definitely help tone your legs. And as mvl mentioned, do strength training on your upperbody as well. I have big thighs, and it runs in the family...but they have gotten much much smaller with cardio and strength training. I have a feeling my thighs will never be small...but I want them to look toned. So, get your cardio in at least 3 times a week (at least 30 minutes each time, I typically do about 45-60 minutes of cardio) and get your strength training in there as well...and you'll start to notice your pants getting smaller in the legs...its a great feeling! I've gained a lot of muscle too, but I've also lost a lot of fat there too...so the legs are starting to look more toned and defined. Because of the muscles in our legs being the bigger muscles in our body, they help burn more calories and more fat....yippie! Keep working at it...it won't happen fast, I can promise you that...but over time you will start to see a difference! Take measurements now, something I wish I would have done in the beginning. Good luck!!
  • sessy1011
    sessy1011 Posts: 30
    this is all such great advice THX!
This discussion has been closed.