Easter Fitness Challenge Mar 21st

Options
Morning, ladies!

Today is just walking for me. I have to walk to my church job and back two times, so that's 60 minutes.

Here's a question:

Does an intense workout make you retain water? I had to mellow out my usually hardcore (2+ hours) Thursday workout yesterday, and I was down two pounds from my normal Friday morning weight. The only difference (besides going over my calories three days this past week) was that I didn't do that hardcore workout last night. Questions? Comments? Ideas? I'm going to start weighing in on Mondays to see if the weight is the same. (Sunday's another light workout day) My inches were the same.

Hope you are all well this am!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Morning, ladies!

Today is just walking for me. I have to walk to my church job and back two times, so that's 60 minutes.

Here's a question:

Does an intense workout make you retain water? I had to mellow out my usually hardcore (2+ hours) Thursday workout yesterday, and I was down two pounds from my normal Friday morning weight. The only difference (besides going over my calories three days this past week) was that I didn't do that hardcore workout last night. Questions? Comments? Ideas? I'm going to start weighing in on Mondays to see if the weight is the same. (Sunday's another light workout day) My inches were the same.

Hope you are all well this am!
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    :heart: Good Friday morning & Happy Birthday to me! I took my measurements today from a month ago and I'm down another 5 inches...:drinker:

I did 30 minutes of Power Sculpt and 30 of Cardio Max today.

This is gonna be a crazy weekend with Easter on Sunday, my little one turns 5 on Monday, my mom's birthday is Tuesday and my daughter-in-law's on Thursday. Eggs to boil and decorate, a cake to bake along with 20 cupcakes for Pre-K class and Easter Dinner to boot!

I hope everyone has a very nice Easter!

Julie:heart:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I found that when I worked out, I showed I weighed more, but muscle weighs more. Also I found no difference between water gain with working out. So drink up and don't worry about water weight and real weight..

Keep up the walking.....
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I don't know Viviakay about retaining water. I hope someone else does. That would be good info to know.
    I walked/ran a little over two miles yesterday and I was going to do more but my husband called and the fuel pump had gone out on his car, so I had to go help him replace it last night. Well, I mostly just stood there and gave him moral support and tried to keep our boy happy (not easy). I burned calories for standing there right? :wink:
    Today I am going to try to get the house cleaned up before tomorrow(don't like a messy house on the weekends), go for a walk since it's going to be gorgeous today, and maybe work on my car if I am motivated enough (I have to make up for not helping last night! :tongue: )
    Happy exercising everyone!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday JulieB21!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Viviakay - I have heard somewhere that an intense workout may make the muscles retain water as their trying to heal and need the fluids. Don't know for sure it that is so - but seems plausable. Sounds like it could be in your case - or maybe your metabolism just kicked up a notch or 2 and burned off some extra - :happy: Maybe do some experimenting with it and let us know.
    Happy birthday JulieB21!!

Happy Good Friday all!

I weighed in this am and lost 2 more lbs YIPPEEE. My goal was 9 lbs and I lost 4. I'm happy with the progress. I had to move my short term goal to lose 30 lbs by end of April to last day of school - June 6. So as it stands now, my goal is to lose 16 more lbs by June 6. One of my other goals was to be more consistent about exercising and try for 5 days a week - sometimes good, sometimes not. But getting more consistant - Again happy with that!! Happy Easter everyone - I don't know if I'll get a chance to log on tomorrow and know I won't Sunday. Have a Blessed Ressurection Day!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Julie!

Viviakay - I find the same thing is true. However, working out more makes me eat more - so it could be solids that you are weighing (or not weighing as the case may be).

I really hope the scale isn't lying to me - post sick weight, etc. It says 156, but I'll wait until Monday just to be sure. That would be the Easter Goal weight. My my my, I could be in the 140s by beach time in May, if I keep losing at this rate. To me, 1 lb a week feels like it's melting off. It drives me crazy when people complain about this kind of loss.

Ok, back to the task at hand. Starting to kick butt again: 45 min elliptical and 1 hour walk yesterday. Today will do weights. My gym is closed on Sunday and we may get called out of town today.

I love the fact that Mechanicmom's husband called her to help with the fuel pump. Mine would too, back in the day we owned the easier to work on cars. Actually he would say, car is not working, can you take me to the shop?
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=11331

Q: Why does my weight go up when I exercise more frequently?

A: Weight gain with exercise may be disheartening. But before you hang up your running shoes, take heed. Exercise has not betrayed you—this weight gain is short-lived.

In the short term, exercise causes some bodily changes that may temporarily bump up your body weight. Your muscles not only get bigger and stronger, but their chemistry changes too. That is, you increase certain types of enzymes that cause your muscles to store more carbohydrate in the form of glycogen. Glycogen is a "hydrophilic" compound, which means it attracts water. So that extra glycogen in your muscle cells includes extra water. This can add some weight.

Over the long term, however, if your weight continues to go up, it's very unlikely that you gaining because you are exercising too much. It is more likely that you are eating more and/or exercising less than you think.

Bottom line: You want to see the number on the scale drop, but give it time. As you continue with your exercise routine and begin losing fat, you will see a drop in both body weight and clothing size. And you'll benefit in the long run: Building muscle increases your metabolism, allowing you to burn more calories during exercise and at rest.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JULIE!

Thanks for posting that, Elliot -- really interesting.

I took the day off yesterday from working out, but I'm back to it today. Going to bike for about 45 minutes outside, then come home and do a strength/ abs workout.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Julie, and a Happy Easter to everyone!

I'll be having an Easter celebration at home this year, so I'll know exactly what I'm eating because I am doing all the cooking.
    I've had Easter treats in the house all week and have managed not to eat a single one!!:bigsmile:
    I made a personal goal to work out 6 days a week, and the past two weeks I have done it. It's become a habit to me now...I miss it on my "off" days, so usually I end up getting in a workout on that day too.
    I've lost 7 lbs so far, in the last 4 weeks:smile:
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! TGIF! Looking forward to the weekend and some fun time with my boys. Hope you all have something fun planned as well!

I didn't exercise yesterday. No excuse really. I just didn't want to. I'm starting a new chart today so I will hopefully get back on track with some new expectations. I did lose 1/2 a lb from my weigh in 2 weeks ago (never did an official weigh in with my trip and all last week). I'm now down 30 lbs with 35 to go. It took me 10 weeks to lose these past 3 lbs. Hoping to up that quite a bit for the next 10 weeks. I need to get out of this funk I'm in and just do it!

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!! :flowerforyou:
    Have a HAPPY Easter!!!
    Niccole

PS Happy birthday Julie!!!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Happy Easter! :flowerforyou:
    Happy Birthday Julie! :flowerforyou:

My soon-to-be 2yr old will be coloring eggs tomorrow, so I don't know if/when I'll get here! Regardless, the laptop doesn't need my grubby dyed hands all over it!

Weather has broken, so I got to do my trail run. Felt miserable, but toughed it out. While I've fallen short of my goals: 1) more water- check 2.) vitamin-check 3.) cardio-check 4.) weights- check 5.) weight goal :laugh: not a dang pound lost! However, when I ordered my bridesmaid dress almost a month ago, I went for the smaller size that didn't quite zip. I picked it up yesterday and to my surprise, it fits & zips! :noway: I now officially fit a size 8 in everything, not just random clothes. My goal is 4/6, and still 20 lbs. Long way to go, but getting there!

Going to my son's Easter Party at daycare, should be fun. Just have to watch the toddler friendly snacks. Hopefully they'll have some veggies!

How about Monday we start April Fitness Challenge?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=11331

Q: Why does my weight go up when I exercise more frequently?

A: Weight gain with exercise may be disheartening. But before you hang up your running shoes, take heed. Exercise has not betrayed you—this weight gain is short-lived.

In the short term, exercise causes some bodily changes that may temporarily bump up your body weight. Your muscles not only get bigger and stronger, but their chemistry changes too. That is, you increase certain types of enzymes that cause your muscles to store more carbohydrate in the form of glycogen. Glycogen is a "hydrophilic" compound, which means it attracts water. So that extra glycogen in your muscle cells includes extra water. This can add some weight.

Over the long term, however, if your weight continues to go up, it's very unlikely that you gaining because you are exercising too much. It is more likely that you are eating more and/or exercising less than you think.

Bottom line: You want to see the number on the scale drop, but give it time. As you continue with your exercise routine and begin losing fat, you will see a drop in both body weight and clothing size. And you'll benefit in the long run: Building muscle increases your metabolism, allowing you to burn more calories during exercise and at rest.

Glycogen! Yes, I think somewhere in my deep recesses of my brain I knew that. Thanks for posting this! And yes, I eat almost 800 calories more food on my heavy workout days, and it may not all be . . .um....out of me by the following am. Duh. Anyways, good to know that I haven't gained weight on maintenance. (That's such a downer)

Are you brainstorming your next set of goals? I'm trying to be tres creative this time.
  • ariannedavis
    Options
    Vicky, you crack me up. Tres creative? :laugh: I'm just lucky to have goals!

What did you "chart" gals add after getting the water & vit/meds into your routine? I'm not having a problem working out, but not results on the scale. I have been lifting so I know there is some trade-off, but I need a jumpstart.

My girlfriend recommended cutting out red meat. I'm a meat & potatoes kind of girl raised in the mid-west. That will be a TOUGH one for me... any other recommended goals?????
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Vicky, you crack me up. Tres creative? :laugh: I'm just lucky to have goals!

What did you "chart" gals add after getting the water & vit/meds into your routine? I'm not having a problem working out, but not results on the scale. I have been lifting so I know there is some trade-off, but I need a jumpstart.

My girlfriend recommended cutting out red meat. I'm a meat & potatoes kind of girl raised in the mid-west. That will be a TOUGH one for me... any other recommended goals?????

Everyone should cut out red meat... says the vegetarian :bigsmile: . I was working on goals last night with husband (he wants an HDTV for some weird reason - we don't watch the tv we have now! - oh, yes, we are bobos (that's bourgeois bohemian for those not familiar)).

Focus on what you know you should be doing. Yoga twice a week, stretching everyday, walking/biking to the store once a week, increasing stamina (say running/walking/biking min/mile). My main issue is not enough yoga or strength - so I'm adding an amount of time per week.
    Food goals for me would be: sweets only once a week, 5 servings of veggies per day, 2 fruits a day, 45 grams of fiber a day, no white flour, etc.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Happy Birthday Julie

Congrats Arriane on fitting in your bridesmaid's dress.

Just bus driving today. I was real tired today and had a nap on my friends couch. Maybe stress showing up about my mom's surgery.

On the fun side I ordered a bathing suit for the first time in 5 years in a size 14 and it fit. I am a little lopsided, I lost more on booty and legs and not as much on my waist and top but it's 4 sizes smaller than I used to be so I am HAPPY! But if I lose the other 11 lbs or so I will have to buy another one. And they are expensive.
  • ariannedavis
    Options
    I'm so proud! I was offered cheese puffs, oreo's, cookies, cupcakes, juice, etc. I had to say no thanks about three times before one mom finally quit trying to push a cupcake on me. TALK ABOUT WILLPOWER! Who knew I had that in me!

I took one bite of my son's oreo since he wanted to share, but only ate about a quarter of one cookie total. And they had diet sunkist, so no cals there! I did have one of the smaller Reese's eggs, you know the half-sized ones. I don't think I could stomach a full size one. It was delicious, but I didn't want more :noway: I must be sick!