Starvation Mode

19lisa69
19lisa69 Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
While I am new to this I am not really new to exercising and diet. I do seem to have a problem though. Recently I discovered that I am just wore out by mid day, sometimes just needing to close my eyes to actually taking a 2 hour nap. We are doing the p90x program and that by the way ROCKS, but I discovered I have been shorting myself about 400 cardio calories 3 times a week and I am not sure how much on strenght training yet. Now for my question, could my body be in starvation mode? What is that exactly? On a normal day I try to break even on calories between daily intake and exercise calories. I haven't lost near the weight the rest of my family has. Daughter 13 has lost 19 pounds, husband like 15 and me barely 10 and that's on a good day...My 11 year old just is ripped now...what do you expect for an 11 year old boy LOL

Any suggestions on how to boost my energy levels?? Am I starving myself and not knowing it? Any help here would be great.
:tongue:

Replies

• hmac8705
    hmac8705 Posts: 3
    Hi

I am also new here and have been exploring the site. I came across two blogs that may help you out.

One talks about what is starvation mode, why it is bad and how to fix it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

The other (i believe, i havent read the whole thing) talks about how you should eat your calories.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Hope this helps!!
  • im no expert but i find that after i exercise i need a little something and then i'm good for the rest of the day. (i work out at 2pm since i go on my lunch break) i find that a half peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on wheat bread (about 147 calories) or a reduced fat cheese stick (60 calories) takes the edge off and i find myself to be less slugish. i think it's because of the protine but i'm not sure. hope this helps!!!

Steph
  • _Bunnytown
    _Bunnytown Posts: 110 Member
    check out stroutman81's blog he just did an tid bit on the starvation mode and gave a good perspective on everything
  • 19lisa69
    19lisa69 Posts: 4
    Great article you referred me to...thanks, enlightened me some. I am taking in 1300 -1500 calories and in recently getting a heart monitor discovered the work outs I thought (being the key word here) were 450 - 600 calorie burn are actually 700 - 850 calories burned. So I think that is hurting me also. I am fixing that now and hoping in the next week or so to see an increase in my energy levels. LOL
This discussion has been closed.