Ugh...the belly flab :(

Options
What can I do to get rid of this? I know I have to do cardio, because that's what burns the fat. But what kinds of things should I be doing? And once I actually have a stomach what can I do to make it tight?

Replies

• AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options
    Interval training is very good for burning fat...Self.com is a good resource for that. They'll also have tons of workouts...what kind of things you can do for stomach muscles to tone them up. I'd definitely check it out...I subscribe to the magazine & it has TONS of helpful info in there.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have the same question! I always get the same answer when I ask... Cardio is the only way to burn overall body fat. I'm doing cardio but my tummy is definitely my problem area. My butt and thighs are small in comparison. A friend told me that I should still do sit-ups because where you're building muscle your body concentrates on losing fat. I haven't heard anyone else say that and I'm not so sure it's true. Sorry, I'm no help but I'm looking for answers too! Best of luck to ya!
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have the same question! I always get the same answer when I ask... Cardio is the only way to burn overall body fat. I'm doing cardio but my tummy is definitely my problem area. My butt and thighs are small in comparison. A friend told me that I should still do sit-ups because where you're building muscle your body concentrates on losing fat. I haven't heard anyone else say that and I'm not so sure it's true. Sorry, I'm no help but I'm looking for answers too! Best of luck to ya!

Agreed Cardio is the way from what I read/hear. But maybe what your friend meant was muscle burns more fat at rest, so it is good to work the muscles for that...but I wouldn't say it makes your body "concentrate" on losing the fat. :)
  • AlyssaC2010
    Options
    Strength training/lifting weights is just as important as cardio. The more muscle you have the more calories you'll burn at a resting rate. In the beginning stages of lifting you may stay the same/gain a little. I've heard different reasons like you retain water, etc but after that you should do well with burning fat. Do different types of sit ups though to train all the muscles in your abdomen.
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    I, too, am looking for this answer!! I do cardio 4-6 times a week and AM losing inches. i also do the Curves workout 3-5 times a week. but i had twins, you see... and gained 80 lbs during that pregnancy... i blame it all on them... they are 8 - is that too long after the fact to be blaming them?!?! lol!!

anyway - i wonder if i am ever going to lose the flab... i look forward to reading the responses!!
    :o)
  • hollyroode
    Options
    I've read that eating frequent small meals helps reduce belly fat...also stay away from stuff like white flour, chocolate, pretty much any refined sugars
  • tazlady
    tazlady Posts: 60
    Options
    MY QUESTION is almost in the same area .. I am losing wieigh cause i can see in my skin.. What can we do about sagging skin. the muscle is good but the skin hangs like a short apron. any ideas short of surgery?
  • adegonia
    adegonia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The whole reason I joined MFP is because of that very question. I am satisfied with the way I look but I was sick of people asking me if I was pregnant. NOT COOL! If you drink soda even diet I would cut it out. It will make you look more bloated in that area. That is all I have found so far but I lost and inch in that area just cutting soda out.
  • laurenb85
    Options
    i found that doing sit ups helped very much along with balanced cardio work. try starting with 20 press ups first thing in the morning when you get up and 20 press ups before bed. if you struggle with this start with a lower amount and build up. I am now aiming to do 80 a day i dont do them all in one go but find doing them at intervals through out the course of the days is working the muscles more. I did have a problem of remembering to do it, but since i noticed a change i soon remembered!! lol stretches going side to side (arm over head) are very good for toning aswell! it took a month for me to notice a postive change, its all about perserverance! its not going to happen over night.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    According to physical trainer that I used to see regularly. The way to firm that tummy and to lose the dreaded belly flab is a combo of cardio and core training. I hear so many people say that they're afraid to build muscle under fat for fear of getting bigger- you might as well start now- it won't get toned on its own! Best investment EVER is a stability or exercise ball. It's easier on your back than regular sit-ups and there are lots of great work-outs. Also helps improve posture and can increase low back strength (which will help ease any low back pain.) Other fun things: belly dancing and yoga!!

Hope that helps!!

And yes building muscle in the larger groups (core, quads and glutes) will help you to burn fat at rest. Making you a calorie consuming machine!! :)
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The whole reason I joined MFP is because of that very question. I am satisfied with the way I look but I was sick of people asking me if I was pregnant. NOT COOL! If you drink soda even diet I would cut it out. It will make you look more bloated in that area. That is all I have found so far but I lost and inch in that area just cutting soda out.

Adegonia - from your pic I can tell we're the same body type... except I'm bigger! lol! I don't drink much soda. Maybe 1-2 glasses a week. Cutting it out wouldn't be a huge sacrifice. Anything that would help my tummy! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    While it is true that you can't target a specific body part to loose fat, you can target that body part for toning. Plank exercises in addition to the various crunches and sit-ups will help target all the abdominal muscles. Doing leg lifts and stability ball exercises also work your core muscles. Cutting excess sodium and sugar helps reduce bloat. My problem is skin as well. After two pregnancies ,while I might have a six pack, there is still skin that looks like a deflated balloon. :(
  • AlyssaC2010
    Options
    According to physical trainer that I used to see regularly. The way to firm that tummy and to lose the dreaded belly flab is a combo of cardio and core training. I hear so many people say that they're afraid to build muscle under fat for fear of getting bigger- you might as well start now- it won't get toned on its own! Best investment EVER is a stability or exercise ball. It's easier on your back than regular sit-ups and there are lots of great work-outs. Also helps improve posture and can increase low back strength (which will help ease any low back pain.) Other fun things: belly dancing and yoga!!

Hope that helps!!

And yes building muscle in the larger groups (core, quads and glutes) will help you to burn fat at rest. Making you a calorie consuming machine!! :)

OMG stability balls are amazing! I feel like I get more of a workout because you have to balance while doing the moves. I use it as a makeshift workout bench instead of a regular one...I love it!