Tell me about your results with only walking for exercise

Options
I had surgery 2 1/2 months ago and am limited as far as exercise right now. I'm trying not to let it discourage me because I really enjoy working out. My last two workouts were too strenuous apparently and I need to give it a rest until the pain goes away. After that I will be limited to 20 minute walks a few days a week. I know that I need to concentrate on my diet and I'm doing pretty well with it overall and have lost 6 lbs in the past few weeks. But what I really love is the changes in my body from working out. That's what keeps me going and staying motivated. I tend to have all or nothing thinking about diet and exercise so it'll be strange to focus more on my diet and accept that I can't break a really good sweat. That probably won't happen for months.

So I would really appreciate it if anyone out there can tell me about their weight loss results with only walking as their exercise.

Replies

• dcoday25
    dcoday25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight with out exercise. The exercise does make a big difference in toning though. About 6 years ago I lost 70# with no exercise. I lost an additional 30 and started working out. Going to the gym helped tone and add muscle. Since then I have gained 60 # :( I have also had 9 knee surgeries and spinal cord surgery since then so I am limited now on exercise. I have learned not to push to hard after surgery cause all it does is set you back further. I try and do upper body more but still do legs. I am careful in what I do. I need to have more knee surgery but am trying to put it off as long as possible. You can do this. Even if u can't do much exercise now, something is better than nothing :)... Hope this helps!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It helped me put things in perspective. You sound like a very determined woman. I hope your next surgery is a success.
  • dcoday25
    dcoday25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It has taken a long time. I know losing the weight will only help my knee pain. I had a knee replacement and 2 revisions so far. The next one will be the biggest and most painful yet. They need to replace the femoral ( upper part above the knee) component with a much longer rod. The better shape I am in the better my recovery. It may sound goofy, but in July I had spinal cord / neck surgery. My neurosurgeon said I should be paralyzed from the chest down, and I am not. Even though I am in constant pain, I am lucky I can feel it all!i just try and look at the upside. I hoe your recovery goes well. It does take a long time for your entire body to recover. The anesthesia takes over about a month just to get out of your system. Take it slow.
  • fusion777
    Options
    Good luck with your recovery! Just be sure to take it easy so you heal properly. :)

As of today, I've lost just over 95lbs since last summer watching my calories and only walking as my exercise (treadmill, neighborhood, Leslie sansone walking videos on YouTube).

Some days I only do 30 mins, most days I do 45-60 mins.

Good luck!
  • Ceyanna
    Ceyanna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't often share on the boards, but felt yours is a situation I could speak to.

I have lost 27 lbs with walking as my only exercise (currently 45-60mins, 4-5 days/wk). I began walking on my treadmill consistently last April and added logging my food on MFP soon after. I haven't been hardcore about the fat/carbs/protein, but instead paid more attention to total calories, fiber, and sodium. While I enjoy the outdoors, I really enjoy watching recorded shows and documentaries to fill the time (truthfully, that's what keeps me from watching the clock and blocks out the inner lazy voice telling me to stop--HA).

This has been the easiest, most carefree plan I've attempted. As long as I was losing around 1 lb a week or so, I was happy. Now that I've plateau'd about halfway to my goal, I've mixed things up a bit, riding my bike here and there, dancing to the Xbox hip hop games, and even doing a bit of jogging/walking, none of which I would have been able to do if I hadn't begun walking first.

Admittedly, I am not recovering from surgery, but from a mainly sedentary life where my body began showing all of the precursors of cardiovascular disease. My main point is you CAN lose weight with walking, just be consistent and patient, adjust your activity as you go, keep your goals simple, and you'll get there. :happy:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Walking is nearly all of my exercise. I've read 19 books since January 1, most while walking on my treadmill. I've lost 25.9% of my body weight.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I can't thank you enough, dcoday25, fusion777, and Ceyanna. Thanks so much for sharing your stories and your successes. They're so helpful to me right now exactly when I need it. They're what I needed to hear.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I started walking with a friend 3 and half years ago and am down a total of 48 lbs. Initially, I just cut back on my portions, got rid of the juice and milk I was drinking and stayed away from chocolate. I hit lots of plateaus along the way, had a surgery that put any exercise but walking on the back burner (not sure you could even called it walking since a turtle would have passed me when I did my little walk around the block), and went on a cruise where I gained some back. It just takes time and consistency and counting calories on MFP is helping me get rid of the last 7 pounds. I am back to the weight I was at 29 years old (142ish) and aiming for 135 which I was in my mid twenties. For me walking is key. I did the gym several years ago and only lost 8 pounds after a year. That was discouraging so walking is much more effective to get rid of the fat, at least for me.