Reached a plateau and have more to lose - Help!

Options
Hi
I have been on MFP since the end of November and have lost 10lbs so far. However, in the last 3 weeks I have only lost a quarter of a pound. I'm about to weigh myself on Wednesday and I just know that I haven't lost this week. I don't think I've gained but I'm concerned that I have reached a plateau and not lost any more.
I drink at least 3 or 4 pint glasses each day (each one 570mls, which I believe equates to 6-8 'cups' a day) and try to exercise 5 times a week.
I still have another 8lbs to go so can anyone give me any advice?! Should I lower my calorie intake? I'm already struggling to keep to 1,200 cals a day (big appetite!)... :(
Thanks!

Replies

• j4m8
    j4m8 Posts: 32
    Options
    Try increasing your calories. Same happened to me for a couple weeks. Increased and lost a pound within 3 days. It helps to pick up your metabolism
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Would help if your diary was open. 1200 calories is probably not enough. If you're really working out hard, you need more calories.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Actually, it sounds like you've stalled out because your calories are too low..... 1200 at your age and activity level really is too low, probably under your BMR. So what happens is that when we eat that low our bodies learn to live on it after awhile. That's what makes us survive during famine times. Not htat you are starving, but that your body has just learned to deal with it and has stalled out.

I suggest you look into calculating your TDEE and then eating at a small deficit. There are plenty of great threads here - one is "in Place of a Road Map" Go there and look at the sticky with the spreadsheet and use that! I did and it made all the difference.

Best of Luck! You can do this!
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    Thank you - although I probably should have mentioned that I have at least one treat day a week (maybe 2 if there's occasions such as birthdays, holidays etc) - where I can eat up to 2,000 calories!
    It's amazing how much this thing changes your thinking, I never would have previously thought twice about chinese and birthday cake, but on Saturday night it was my friends' birthday and, although I ate loads, it wasn't satisfying! Hopefully the way to a newer and better attitude :)
    How much did you increase your uptake to?!
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    Flowers4Julia, how do you calculate your TDEE? :)

..... Whoops, never mind, I just realised you told me lol. Thanks!!
  • j4m8
    Options
    I went from 1200 to 1904. This is the beginning of my first full week, but already lost a pound since Fri when I hadn't gained or lost an ounce in almost 2 weeks. I'm using my TDEE minus 20%
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE - 20%, which is 1700 calories. Am 47 y.o. Try IPOARM.
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    I went from 1200 to 1904. This is the beginning of my first full week, but already lost a pound since Fri when I hadn't gained or lost an ounce in almost 2 weeks. I'm using my TDEE minus 20%

Awesome, well done!!! :)
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    I use TDEE - 20%, which is 1700 calories. Am 47 y.o. Try IPOARM.

Has this been successful for you? What's IPOARM? (Forgive me if I'm being stupid!) :)
  • j4m8
    Options
    Thanks! If you decide to use it, recalc after every 5lb weight loss to adjust your calories aaccordingly. Good luck! You look awesome, btw!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yup, try upping your calories. Worked like a charm for me as well. I use this calculator. http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

Here is the spreadsheet

Download and make a copy, then you can fill in the yellow boxes with your personal info! give it a try - it really saved me!

"in Place of a road Map" = IPOARM"
  • Garfunklette
    Garfunklette Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

In Place Of A Road Map. Really useful and highly recommended.

I've also been told that when the pounds stop coming off, it's time to get out the camera and the measuring tape.
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone, I am so glad I did this, it has been very helpful :) And if anyone is looking for a new friend for support, feel free to add me! I promise to support you if you support me! :p