In health bill: chains must post calorie info

Options
YES YES YES!!! Buried in the health legislation: chains required in 2011 to post calorie info!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/business/24menu.html

Replies

• Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    My friend just told me about this today! Good, since I was about to boycott Applebee's since they refuse to disclose their information. Which is crazy!! What!? Do they think it's proprietary or something!?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Yay, a part of the bill that is beneficial for EVERYONE!
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    This crap bill won't be around long, so I doubt the regulation will be around in 2011.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    That's awesome.

BTW, our applebees has nutrional info at the table.

it is frightening.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome, even though it will make more work for me. I'm going to end up being the one to have to change all the menuboards at work!
    I already tell all my customers what they are eating. (I manage a Dunkin Donuts). They are usually shocked that they could have less calories in 2 donuts than in one muffin. They THOUGHT they were being good with the muffin (640) when it is "only" 180 for our glazed donut.

And our "low fat" blueberry muffin has 5 MORE calories than the "regular" blueberry muffin!!!!!!
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, I had no idea.

Now I want a donut.
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    And our "low fat" blueberry muffin has 5 MORE calories than the "regular" blueberry muffin!!!!!!

i've noticed that in a few WW products - they technically are less points than an alternative, but only because of lower saturated fat, but when you look at calories, the WW option is actually higher. It;'s just their screwed up points system that makes their stuff seem good when its just packed with simple carbs (eg sugar)
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    This crap bill won't be around long, so I doubt the regulation will be around in 2011.

I have to agree! I also hope you are right!
  • hotsteno
    hotsteno Posts: 2
    Options
    I noticed this at Starbucks the other day. I wanted a morning bun, but instead I got the lowfat raspberry muffin in an effort to be good. As we were driving away, my husband whipped out his iPhone and informed me that I had saved myself a whopping 10 calories.

Not that the muffin wasn't good, but while it didn't have very much fat, it more than made up for that by adding lots of sugar. Had I at least gotten some fat in my morning pastry, at least I wouldn't have gotten hungry again before lunchtime! I have to admit I'm generally suspicious of the healthcare bill, but that's one provision that I like.
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I heard it on the news yesterday I didn't post because I didn't want it to turn in political crap......Oh well.....I am soo happy for that because I think alot of people (including me) will make smarter choices if they knew the burger they are about to eat is 1k calories...One huge step toward tackling obesity!