Low Calorie Count/ High Volume Foods

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I feel like since I'm only allowed to eat 1,500 calories a day, I have to be thrifty with my calories. I'm literally at the beginning of my weight loss journey, only 16 days in, and I find myself constantly going over my calorie count because my meals end up being calorie dense and far between. Also, it's hard to go cold turkey and restrict my portions, I just like the look of a full plate. What are some foods that are low in calories, but you can eat alot of? I know popcorn is a good option and most veggies.

If your ticker is correct, then 1500 is way too low to start with. When I had 120 pounds to lose, I began at 1700, and now I'm at 1900ish. Those extra couple hundred calories can be used to add a bit of healthy fats to keep you satiated.
  • lunnay
    lunnay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions so far!

I will add - use a smaller plate - plate still looks full - it just doesn't hold as much.

I was going to suggest this, but I see it suggested here. :) This really works for me!
    If using a smaller plate isn't possible, fill your plate with as much salad as possible (even if it's just lettuce, which is pretty much just water and so low in calories it barely counts). You'll still have a full plate, but with normal portions.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Great value stir fry Vegys with chicken breasts.Makes a lot and fills you up!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Also, it's hard to go cold turkey and restrict my portions, I just like the look of a full plate.

Use smaller plates :)
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Here are a few things I've learned. By no means an expert, and still struggle with not so great days, but sharing in case they help:

- have a cup of soup for lunch, with a sandwich made with low-cal bread, and a side of low fat cottage cheese.
    - apples can help you feel full. I slice them up so it takes me longer to eat them, and it helps a lot.
    - mini babybel light cheeses are only 50 cals, and are delicious
    - plan ahead - it's easier to stick to the daily limit if you plan out your day, before you are hungry. I pre-log most days so I know where I will be at, and what I can "afford" eat. If I really want something but don't have the allotment for it, I make myself exercise so I can fit it in.
    - mix low fat cottage cheese in with salads to feel more full (and get protein)
    - Instead of mayo on sandwiches, use some mashed up avocados, with a little salt (weigh the avocado carefully after taking it out of its skin though - a little goes a long way!)
    - instead of a huge serving of rice, steam some cauliflower/put it in the food processor and then dilute cooked rice with it - this works really well for dishes that are really saucy, like Adobo chicken.
    - freeze leftover bananas then put them in the food processor with peanut butter (or better yet, PB2) then mix in some chocolate chips then re-freeze for fake ice cream without the guilt.

Some of my favorite recipes:

Avocado Pasta: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/31/15-minute-creamy-avocado-pasta/ (I make big batches when avocadoes are on sale, and then freeze in individual baggies so I have them ready when I'm not inspired to cook. Then just defrost in fridge or a bowl of cold water and make pasta/mix it in)

Adobo Chicken: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/11/filipino-adobo-chicken.html

Peanut butter/chocolate and banana "ice cream": http://www.gotchocolate.com/2012/05/recipe-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-honey-banana-ice-cream/print/

Edit - again I forget to close my brackets...
  • MeghanMorrical
    MeghanMorrical Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Using a smaller plate works wonders, your mind sees a full plate of food and it tells your stomach that when its gone you should be stuffed... I have been using this technique for years. I was born with a type of Prader-Willi syndrome, I never really feel full. My brain does not send signals to my stomach signaling that I am full. I have struggled with weight my entire life. I have switched to my side dish plate which is a little smaller then what a dinner plate should be, I eat a ton of veggies Instead of bread on my sandwiches I eat lettuce wraps with meat and cheese and a low fat low sugar dressing. The main thing I have found that helps is watching how much sugar you take in in a day and cut that back...I am not saying cut all sugar out just limit it I have lost 13 pounds in less then a month and I really just switched what I ate and I work out most days but only for 30mins at the most....10minutes at the very least. I live a busy life so if I can spare 10 minutes anyone can, I work out at home I don't go to a gym. Anyone can do squats, push-up, sit ups, or just dance burns calories like crazy. I am eating 1200 calories a day and I never feel hungry because I eat all day it seems, small meals and two snacks a day and I am golden....oh and a little tip pepperidge farm goldfish snack crackers (or any off brand of those) almost no sugar in them and low calorie. best of luck on your wight loss journey !
  • christinenaranjo79
    Options
    get a bag of popcorn kernels, put 1/4 cup in microwave safe bowl with a tight fitting plate on top , add 1 tsp of olive oil..microwave on high about 3-5 min depending on your machine, when its done spray with butter spray add some salt or other seasonings..i add stevia sometimes to make it kettle corn, YOU GET A HUUUUGE BOWL OF POPCORN AND YOU CAN EAT IT ALL CUZ ITS 140 CALORIES TOTAL----110 for the popcorn plus 40 for the olive oil...happy snacking!
  • sprocketism
    sprocketism Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary (better example of diary is January and February). I eat loads of veggies and only plant foods (like beans, legumes, nuts, fruit, etc.). I have a ton of awesome recipes to make totally "normal" meals that fill me up till I'm spilling over, and that's what your brain likes...a full belly of food and nutrients.

I call it "brain trickery"!

And, btw, I don't get sick anymore, no muscle pain, sleep like a rock, rise like the sun :)