Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

anyone on the depo shot?

I recently got the depo shot and really do love it. Except for one thing. I am one of those lucky ladies who got the side effect that I call bottomless pit. I can eat so much that its nearly impossible to believe and still barely feel that full feeling. Anyone else have this sideeffect?

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    I've been on the Depo for like 4-5 years already. Its amaziiiing~ <3 But I don't think I have any side effects :s It could have been weight gain but I don't think it was the shot XD
  • SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member
    I've been on it since I was 15. =) I love it.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    I had actually lost weight when I was on it, I was on it for like 2 years!!! It was amazing, thinking about going back on it!!!
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    I've been on it for about 4 years, no side effects for me.
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    I love the lack of periods, its been amazing to be able to be a normal person for the entirety of the month instead of just 3 weeks haha. Extreme hunger, or lack of the full signal doesn't happen to many people. I guess I'm just the lucky one lol
  • singledj
    singledj Posts: 147 Member
    Was on it after having my son 18 yrs ago.... gained so much weight that after 3 yrs I said enough is enough!!

I think everyone reacts differently to it!!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    I had the opposite effect of most of you it seems. I passed out & threw up when I got it, then had constant headaches & bled every single day for 3 months until I got put on something else.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    I used to be on it, but it was making me lose bone density so I had to change it up. It was pretty awesome while I was on it though. Just make sure you have your doctor check your bone density.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,357 Member
    I took it once, after that wore off I said I'd rather be pregnant then to ever have to go through that again, I gained so much weight and I had horrid periods, I thought I was Miscarrying. It was horrible.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    I had it for a year. I loved it! However, I did have the same side effect. I had lost 30 pounds then went on depo and in a year gained it all back. My doctor when I went on it did tell me that it does have the side effect of making people feel like their hungry when there not and if i kept a close eye on my calories I would be fine. But that just didn't happen the hunger took over! Also, I had low libido too as a side effect. I've been off of it for over a month and I can already feel my libido and self control coming back to me. Also, be sure to watch your calcium intake make sure your getting enough every day.

I did love not having periods though, and not having to worry about taking a little pill every day, at the same time.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,357 Member
    My IUD I got after the depo was better for me. But now I have my tubes tied, cut and burned, I have a boy and a girl and that is all I want.
  • emmacssmith
    emmacssmith Posts: 24 Member
    I'm on it too, been on it for just over two months and I can't decide if I want to keep it up... After reading these posts I definitely sympathize with the hunger and libido- I just wonder if I would lose weight more easily without it?
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    I've been on it for almost 16 years, since I was 16 years old. It works for me without any hassles. I get a very small weight gain the day or two after I get my shot, but that's it - and I lose it again just as quickly. And having been on it for so long, it does have an effect on my bone density, so I have to take daily calcium supplements and do a bit of moderate-high impact exercise to keep things ok in that regard. No big deal.

Basically just waiting it out until I turn 35 and can get things taken care of permanently. Dr's refuse permanent contraception options to younger people cos they think they'll change their minds *shrug* Mine hasn't changed in well over 20 years, not even a little.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    I loved depo when I was on it for two years, but hated it once I was off it. I didn't realize the extreme mood swings I was having when I was on it. Afterward I look back and I don't feel like myself. I gained 30lbs during those two years. I had extreme sugar cravings that I had never had before. And sex was the last thing on my mind. My boyfriend felt pretty neglected. He was constantly asking me if I still wanted to be with him. I never wanted to have sex. And then once I was off it, it took me a long time to become regular. I was bleeding for 8 months straight. And for lack of a better term, excuse me ladies, but I could never get wet like before, even when I was excited. This is a problem a couple of my friends have, too. I am only now feeling normal after one year of being off it.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I was on it for 5 years. I loved it. Loved not having periods. I did gain weight while I was on it, but then I also lost 60 lbs while I was on it so I think the weight gain and loss was completely unrelated. I did, however, have virtually no sex drive at all while on it - that was troublesome... I thought it was just me and not the shot.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    I just had my lost shot.. wanted to get off so I know when I am going into Menopause..kind of hard with a hormone shot.. the doc couldn't even tell me the best way to know when it comes if I am on the shot.

I will hate having my periods back but hopefully it is only for a few more years!! the factory is closed so I am ready for it to shut down permanently.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I was on for 8 years. I would go back in a heartbeat, but something about osteoporosis risk made them tell me I had to come off. It was like puberty having to get my period for the first time in almost a decade at almost 30 y/o! :sad:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I was on for 8 years. I would go back in a heartbeat, but something about osteoporosis risk made them tell me I had to come off. It was like puberty having to get my period for the first time in almost a decade at almost 30 y/o! :sad:

You should get a DEXA to check your bone density. If you have no problems, go back on it! I've had them done and my bones are like iron. No risk of osteoporosis in this lifetime for me unless something drastic happens.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member

You should get a DEXA to check your bone density. If you have no problems, go back on it! I've had them done and my bones are like iron. No risk of osteoporosis in this lifetime for me unless something drastic happens.

That's really a great idea. I was planning on getting one done soon anyway- hadn't even thought of this angle. You're awesome MrsBigMack! :bigsmile:
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    I had the opposite effect of most of you it seems. I passed out & threw up when I got it, then had constant headaches & bled every single day for 3 months until I got put on something else.

This happened to me to...