I'm hungry all the time.

My hunger has been insatiable for the past two weeks. I will eat something and wait a little later and drink some water, then POW! I feel famished. :/ I don't know what it is causing it!

Anyone have this problem and know the cause?

Replies

• PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    I find refined sugar and carbs. I will be so hungry if I start my day with any carbs. I still eat carbs but way less than before MFP. Read the labels and it is rough the first week but choose your carb wisely. Diet soda I also had to leave behind. Good luck.

Patsy
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    I usually feel a lot hungrier when I have worked out or had a more intense exercise session than usual.

I combat this by drinking more water and LOTS of green tea. Helps keep the rumbling stomach away and is tasty!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    You could try to eat more of your exercise calories back.
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    It's probably what you're eating that isn't keeping you full.

If you keep yourself fed with tons of fiber and vegetables, you shouldn't be so famished. Usually when you eat foods like yogurt (especially very light, frothy yogurt), that's going to clear out your system pretty quickly.

I think oatmeal, granola bars, fiber-one anything, and kellog snacks - they're the ones that are steered toward weight loss and help keep the eater full....

Fruits are healthy, but they can make you hungry again since they can be digested so quickly. And they're largely water and glucose too.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    I am going to start drinking more green tea. I try to avoid processed foods but pizza is my weakness.. ahhh!! lol
  • Some tips:

- Are you actually bored? The biggest thing that helps me is to STAY BUSY.

- Are you actually thirsty? Thirst often masquerades as hunger. WATER.

- Are you eating calorie-dense food? This can fill your calorie quota without actually filling your stomach. Add major VEGGIES.

- Are you eating enough fat? A low-fat diet sure sounds like a good idea, but the downside is that you lose the satiety that fat provides. Make sure you eat your GOOD FATS.

- Are you eating too many refined foods? This stuff is like crack and highly addicting. I'm not saying you can't have that stuff, but be aware that, like the Pringles marketing department found out, "once you pop you can't stop". Either stay away from your weaknesses or eat those things FIRST followed by a healthier followup (for example, if you have a sandwhich with white bread and a healthy salad, eat the sandwhich first so it's not the last thing you remember eating). Know and be cautious of your TRIGGER FOODS.

- Is your caloric deficit too low? It's incredibly tempting to cut way down to speed up weight loss, but it's usually counter-productive. EAT!

- Do you only eat two or three times a day? If so, it's easy for you to feel full for the first hour and then have to endure hours of hunger. To fix this, maintain your calorie budget but EAT MORE OFTEN.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    EAT YOUR ALLOTTED CALORIES!

One day you were under by 700?!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    EAT YOUR ALLOTTED CALORIES!

One day you were under by 700?!

aha!!!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    I usually feel a lot hungrier when I have worked out or had a more intense exercise session than usual.

I combat this by drinking more water and LOTS of green tea. Helps keep the rumbling stomach away and is tasty!

Me too, I find when I work out - I can eat eat eat!!!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    I find refined sugar and carbs. I will be so hungry if I start my day with any carbs. I still eat carbs but way less than before MFP. Read the labels and it is rough the first week but choose your carb wisely. Diet soda I also had to leave behind. Good luck.

Patsy

This.

Although not getting enough sleep will also make me hungrier. And there are times during the month when I am hungrier, too. Sipping coffee pretty much all day helps.

*reads other posters, realizes OP needs to just plain eat more and slinks away*
  • My hunger has been insatiable for the past two weeks. I will eat something and wait a little later and drink some water, then POW! I feel famished. :/ I don't know what it is causing it!

Anyone have this problem and know the cause?

I have had a short look at your diary. It doesn't look all that bad, but if you are still hungry, I guess: try replacing some of the more processed, high carb-and-fat foods if there are any with lots of vegetables, fruit, fiber, and some measured proteins. If you feel famished, maybe your body is missing proteins.

Apples give a wonderful filled feeling. But it doesn't last long, that's true. Try one with some milk, e.g. A low fat cafe latte.

Carrots - slightly steamd if you don't like them too crunchy - with some hummus. About 50 grams of a 200-kcal-in-100g variety are 100 calories and a nice snack, 100g would be 200 calories and already a small meal. The protein-healthy fat combination of the hummus with the fibres of the carrots make a wonderful filling meal.

Try more chicken meat, low-fat yoghurt, cottage cheese, canned fish (e.g. tuna) in brine, eggs or if you need to save the egg yolk calories, egg whites - I.e., try getting your protein intake up. Can you get kangaroo there? Very lean and healthy meat. If the taste is too strong, try it in burgers. I know a kangaroo sausage which tastes like salami but has only 100kcal per 100g.

Are you getting about 1g of protein per day for every kg of body weight? That's what my physio recommends. When you do, do you still feel famished?
  • ambervaldez79
    When i started this journey, I was doing 1200 calories. Ugh! That didn't last long, but surprisingly, I wasn't hungry like I am now. I recently increased my calories up to 1800 and do try to eat protein for each meal with "good fat." I could probably drink more water and fill up on more veggies. My hunger normally hits me late night.
  • ambervaldez79
    Thank you for all your replies.
  • Eat 6 meals.
  • Try drinking a hot cup of tea at night. Use a chamomile or decaf if caffeine bothers you before bed. I find that I look forward to my hot tea each night and it satisfies the urge to snack.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Go to bed earlier. Seriously this is the best thing I did.
    I get in from work at 1030 pm and found my hunger nearly impossible to control. It works better for me to just grab a coffee get ready for bed and then go to bed. Less temptation to eat when I'm all tucked up in my nice warm bed.
  • ambervaldez79
    I am working on the 6 meals now and I am definitely going to drink some hot tea at nights. I also could use the extra sleep. Great advice everyone!