Where's the energy I was expeciting?

SraArroz
SraArroz Posts: 238
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I've been working out with a trainer for the past 3 weeks. She has me really pushing it and while I may be frustrated at the moment, I feel good afterwards..... until the moment passes and I'm EXHAUSTED! Seriously, I drag my butt home from the gym around 4:30 pm and have no energy to do anything else other than take my shower and veg. I thought exercising was supposed to give me more energy in the long run, but honestly, I'm just plain exhausted. I feel like I'm giving everything I have to the machines at the gym and have nothing left for the rest of the day? Please tell me this will get better after my body gets used to it? (sorry for the whining, but I've never done the gym thing like this before and it's pretty intense for me! I love it, but ya know....)

Replies

• FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    When I first came off the couch I could barely make it through the warm-up :blushing: - that got better in a hurry, but I've never worked out to the point that I had no energy left for the rest of the day. Does your trainer think this is normal?
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Are you eating some protein afterwards? If not - you may need to refuel your body as soon as you get home. I'm sure that it will get better....keep up the good work! And make sure to get regular, scheduled sleep.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    It could be over training. You may be pushing yourself too hard, too fast. Check out this website for a simple explaination, I would do more research if it sounds like what you are going through: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Im the opposite today...I am tired and sluggish because I didnt work out! I have SO much energy on the days when I work out - Im bouncing off the walls! Today...I can barely move my butt!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    If you have been pushing hard for 3 weeks, then you are just TIRED. It's pretty simple. When you exercise, especially when you ramp up a program, you are going to build up some residual fatigue--esp if you are still dealing with work, family, etc.

What you are experiencing is pretty normal. I was working out 6-7 days a week, on a nicely structured balanced program, and in great shape when I started my new job on Feb 15. Trying to work into a new routine, new commute, different food schedule, different sleep schedule, substantially increased physical activity at work (up and down stairs, standing for 8 hrs, demonstrating equipment and exercising, cleaning up weight plates from lazy little yuppie spawn)--threw me for a loop. I am down to 3-4 days a week, my endurance dropped, weights dropped--I am just now starting to get back to some semblance of where I was 5 weeks ago.

Training is not linear. Once you have ramped up volume and intensity for several sessions, you need to drop back down a step or two and then build back up again to a new peak. A good training program should have a sawtooth pattern edging upwards, not a straight line.

I am still stunned to read stories like this where your trainer has not asked you how you are doing, or assessed your response, or even anticipated this. What you need are a couple of rest days and then do some alternate stuff for a couple of days.

And if you are pushing yourself, you should be making sure you are eating within 30-40 min after finishing--a good combo of some protein and carbs, maybe 200-250 calories.
This discussion has been closed.