I need encouragement

Options
I started mfp 01/17/2013 and weighed in at 285. I've been faithful to my calories. Very faithful, not too much and not too little. Now it's 02/04/2013, I weighed in at 282.4, less than 3 pounds lost in 19 days. I was expecting so much more! I need your encouragement. Thanks!

Replies

• srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    It's hard to say without seeing your diary-carbs & fats etc...also are killing your water intake? & are your burning off your calories too???(working out)

Make sure you have a good digital scale too-it's a long road journey-be patient, your developing better life-style choices for a new healthier you-
    Slow loss is better to maintain in the long run-
    Good luck!:heart:
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Losing almost three pounds is SUPERB! Same thing happened to me - I was disappointed and was expressing that to my doctor - she was THRILLED and told me that a three pound weight loss was significant in her eyes! Sometimes it can be so frustrating - but best to let that go - be kinder to yourself - yes, make sure you drink more water - get a little more exercise - even a 15 minute walk at first if that's all you can manage - or 10 minutes or whatever you can fit in - all that is good advice. That will help in the long term - but that's the thing - this weight loss journey is for the long term. Learning new habits - learning about yourself and what you are capable of doing - staying on your program, tracking EVERY DAY - those are important achievements - you LOST weight - the scale is going in the right direction - a BIG HURRAY to you!!!!

Congratulation! Be strong and keep going - you are doing JUST FINE!
    Aloha!
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I feel better now knowing I'm not alone :)
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged by a "slow" weight loss in the beginning. Some things, like TV shows, skew the perception that people should make great loses each week (7 to 10+ lbs per week). You have to remember that shows like biggest loser have those folks with nutrition counseling and work out up to 4 hours a day. 3 lbs in 19 days is good, keep it up and it will continue, that is what you are wanting -- a good continual weight loss.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged...this is a journey, not a race. 3 pounds in less than three weeks is great. That is just over a pound a week. Think of it this way, if you stay on that trend, you will be 52 pounds lighter in one year. Imagine how that will feel. When ever I get discouraged about ONLY losing a certain amount, I have been know to go to the store, find something that weighs what I have lost and walk around the store carrying it. This can be pretty impactful when you get to the 10 pound mark and you carry a bag of potatos around the store for 15 minutes. Then put it down and feel how much lighter you are.

Stick with healthy eating, get some movement in (and walking is great!! and how I lost 35 two years ago) and it will continue to come off.

Stay strong and feel free to friend request.
  • ph0enix74
    ph0enix74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's one pound per week so far and I think that's fantastic! I am on prediabetic watch and wasn't really watching calories so much as carbs and sugar until I joined MFP a few days ago. I started keeping a close eye on my carbs especially on 1/17/13 and getting my heart rate up for 30 minutes per day, as instructed by the doc, and this site has helped me out tremendously. Keep up the great work and always reach out for inspiration before you get down on yourself. We're all in this together!
  • mommiejohnsonof6
    mommiejohnsonof6 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    you are doing great just keep going and you will see !!!!
  • kbogati
    kbogati Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    losing weight slowly can be a good thing. you are trying to lose a lot of weight and if you lose it too fast you will wind up with a lot of sagging skin (my stomach looks awful, i know.) so i would say just look at the positive things and keep going!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Losing 1 pound a week is great. My weight loss averaged 1 pound a week.. Sounds like you are on track so far. Don't be discouraged. Be proud. You are awesome!!

And when you are frustrated, read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/857137-for-the-newbies-here-is-what-losing-80-pounds-is-like
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You are a ROCK STAR just for reaching out and posting here on the site - keep on checking it out - there are so many motivating stories and just such supportive people. You can DO IT !!!
  • NewMsT
    NewMsT Posts: 33
    Options
    That's great! I tend to lose a little and then get stuck for WEEKS!! It is so frustrating but I just have to work through it this time and I know it'll get easier. We can do it!
  • shetria
    Options
    if you believe in the LORD pray and ask him to give you the strength to complete your goal.See yourself at the size you would like to be and go for it .You can do it.
  • shetria
    Options
    if you believe in the LORD pray and ask him to give you the strength to complete your goal.See yourself at the size you would like to be and go for it .You can do it.
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I stepped on the scale again this morning (ha, after 3 weeks of not weighing now I've weighed twice in 24 hours). Last night I was at 282.4 and this morning 279! I weighed twice to make sure the first one was not a fluke. So I'll take the 279, since that brings me up to 6 lbs lost.

Thanks for all your encouragement, I will continue my efforts because really what choice do I have? I'm tired of all the negative aspects of being obese, and I'm looking forward to all the positive aspects of being fit! Everything looks better in the light of morning. Thanks for being there for me in the dark of night :)
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I stepped on the scale again this morning (ha, after 3 weeks of not weighing now I've weighed twice in 24 hours). Last night I was at 282.4 and this morning 279! I weighed twice to make sure the first one was not a fluke. So I'll take the 279, since that brings me up to 6 lbs lost.

Thanks for all your encouragement, I will continue my efforts because really what choice do I have? I'm tired of all the negative aspects of being obese, and I'm looking forward to all the positive aspects of being fit! Everything looks better in the light of morning. Thanks for being there for me in the dark of night :)

Congrats!!! That's awesome. Sometimes it's just water/other waste hiding in there. I have to fight to get the dietary fiber aspect but my water count stays upwards of 10-15 glasses a day (I'm never without a large cup near me haha) which has helped me immensely.

We have about the same amount to lose and started at about the same place! If you want to add me as a friend, please do. I comment to every person on my list every day to try to encourage/support them. :)