IS ANYONE COUNTING STEPS? LOGGING IN STEPS?

Options
HELP!!!!

HI EVERYONE, IS ANYONE COUNTING STEPS? ONE OF MY FIRST GOULS IS TO GET UP TO 10,000 STEPS A DAY. I FOUND A PROGRAM ON INCREASING MY STEPS BY 20% EACH WEEK BUT I THINK I WILL TRY 10% FOR A WHILE. MAYBE EVEN 5% TO GET STARTED. HOW DO I LOG MY STEPS FOR CREDIT AND KEEP TRACK SO I DONT DOUBLE UP ON ENTRIES, AS PART OF MY STEPS WILL INCLUDE EXERCISE CLASS ETC. I WILL DO THIS SLOWLY, ONE STEP AT A TIME IM UP TO A WHOOPING 300 STEPS TODAY, THATS A START... I WORK FROM HOME, SO I GET UP, GO INTO MY OFFICE 8 HRS OR MORE , GO TO THE COUCH, AND GO BACK TO BED. IM GOING TO START WALKING A LITTLE AT A TIME, REBOUNDING IN THE AM /NOON TO GET MY LYMPS GOING AND WATCH MY STEP TOTAL CLIMB. I ALSO NEED TO LOG MY REBOUNDING , DO I DO THAT BY JUMPS OR TIME ? IT WASNT LISTED :) GG

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    You could get a fitbit and link it to MFP. I found that 5000 steps were included already in the sedentary activity level and it didnt give me extra calories until I'd reached that.
  • losindood
    losindood Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have my settings on sedentary and use the fitbit. So if I get to a certain number of stairs or steps it logs exercise and credits calories. I've been doing that just since December and I'm happy with the outcome so far.
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I find it really motivating. I aim to do atleast 10,000 steps a day. It is very doable but the only way I can acheive this is if I go for a decent walk or run everyday. I don't log my exercise anymore because the fitbit does it for me.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I don't track my steps on MFP for exercise credit, though I do log it into the notes section on the exercise page.

If you want to log for credit, you need to keep track of the time you walked in the cardio section. For instance, "Walking, 2.0 mph, slow pace". You tell it how many minutes and it will tell you how many calories you burned.

The reason I don't track mine is because I walk so few steps in a day that it's probably already figured into the "sedentary" lifestyle.

I use a $25 Omron pedometer to log my steps. I wear it from the time I get up until I go to bed. When I joined MFP in December, my goal was to walk 2,500 steps a day. I increased that a little at a time. Now my goal is 5,000 and most days I go over.

Once I am able to pick up the pace enough to do 15-20 minutes of brisk walking interspersed with a tiny bit of jogging, I'll probably log the calories I burn during those sessions. But I've got a way to go before I get there. I recently bought a heart rate monitor and was shocked at how quickly my heart rate climbed toward the high end of the safe zone.

But I WILL GET THERE! Baby steps. :-)
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERY ONE FOR THE HELP AND INFO! HAVE A GREAT NIGHT
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    http://walkertracker.com is a great website for logging your steps. If you're interested send me your email address & I can invite you over (means I get points from them) or just go & register for yourself
  • stuntpilot51
    stuntpilot51 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is a great motivational tool for walking. You will be suprised how many steps you take in a day.

I'm always trying to better my numbers on the Fitbit plus it logs to MFP when you sync it.

I'm not happy unless I'm around 12,000 for the day which is around 5-6 miles.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes, another vote for Fitfit. I can only hit 10,000 steps in a day I exercise but my non exercise days are getting higher scores now I am thinking about moving more :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    http://walkertracker.com is a great website for logging your steps. If you're interested send me your email address & I can invite you over (means I get points from them) or just go & register for yourself
    Ibs looked up the site but it seems to be for companies only. Have I misunderstood it?
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a pedometer that I have to wear for work - next year's health insurance premiums will be based partly on our activity level so I keep track of the time I am actually out walking as exercise, but I usually get 4-5000 steps a day just in my normal day. I am out 4 or 5 a day walking the dog and taking my daughter to school. I am thinking about getting a fit bit - will just have 2 devices!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Ibs looked up the site but it seems to be for companies only. Have I misunderstood it?

If you go to the website & scroll down, there is a link on the bottom right for individuals to log in.

Sue xxx
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about the fitbit. It is a very motivational tool and it syncs to my fitness pal which makes it so much easier. I have a desk job so it is sometimes a struggle to get to 10000 steps but I push for it everyday.