weight watchers v calorie counting

Options

Replies

• dowesney
    dowesney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My issue with WW is that they put you on a lower point/calorie diet. I am not familiar with the new point system, but the old system had me on 19 points a day (plus 35 bonus points a week). At that system, 19 points averaged to under 1000 calories a day... a little more if you ate a lot of high fiber/low fat foods, but still not much. I could drop 5 pounds easily any time I wanted with WW, but then I would plateau and I only needed to look at a normal sized meal to gain the 5 pounds back almost immediately.

I learned (from everyone here!) how to determine BMR and TDEE and learned my BMR is around 1300 - so the WW diet had me eating entirely too few calories in a day. Great for a quick loss, but not sustainable. My company offers WW on-site a couple times a year so i know a lot of people who have signed up over the years and most feel very tired and many gain the weight back the moment they are off the program.

So while I think WW has some good points to it, I also don't see it as a long-term solution due to the lower calorie consumption. Just my opinion.
  • LuvHinesWard86
    LuvHinesWard86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Since I started MFP I am not keeping track of my points as closely as I was before. I weigh once a month with WW. (Costs me $13) I still want to maintain the accountability of that. I know that I eat to much. Until I learn to control that doesn't matter if it's WW or MFP the weight won't come off.
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I tried MFP last Jan but wasn't dedicated and didn't log in so through neglect gained another 7 or so pounds. A friend of mine joined WW the fall and I decided to join as well. Since Oct I have lost 51.1 lbs. WW uses the points plus system. Just introduced the 360 program. I really don't see any difference in the two.

For me I couldn't do it on my own and needed a program to get me started. WW did it. I started out with 29 points a day and am now down to 26. It does cost money but I really needed help (I'm in the military and fitness is important and a big part of the routine. Getting older and with the 50 extra pounds I was carrying around I was afraid I'd have a heart attack or something) and was willing to pay the $50 a month. I like the weekly meetings and info I get. I was curious though to see how the points add up against calories. My 26 points a day work out to 1200 calories and i find that satisfying. I was eating so many empty calories before. WW has really helped me get the boost for a healthier lifestyle I needed

As for MFP I have to say I absolutely love this. It's great for the online support and I do like the online way better than WW. MFP is so much more user friendly and the message boards are awesome. IMO WW still has work to do with their online program. Actual meetings are their on their strong point and I really enjoy my weekly weigh ins/meeting. So I will continue doing both.
  • MissVamp13
    Options
    I am a current weightwatchers member and have lost 32.5lbs since mid september 2012. Would have lost more if i didnt have a christmas binge lol. I find it awful that since that programme was on a few weeks ago WW has been given such a bad name. My leader does NOT encourage any of her members to live off the weightwatchers products but to cook from scratch. Ok maybe Weightwatchers make a lot of money from the said products but..no one is forced to buy them!! I have lost 8 stone in 10 months with weightwatchers back 3 years ago (i got pregnant and put it back on lol) and Ill do it again :) Any weightwatchers members here feel free to add me if you like..Or anyone else for that matter I need some encouragement

xx
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My issue with WW is that they put you on a lower point/calorie diet. I am not familiar with the new point system, but the old system had me on 19 points a day (plus 35 bonus points a week). At that system, 19 points averaged to under 1000 calories a day... a little more if you ate a lot of high fiber/low fat foods, but still not much. I could drop 5 pounds easily any time I wanted with WW, but then I would plateau and I only needed to look at a normal sized meal to gain the 5 pounds back almost immediately.

I learned (from everyone here!) how to determine BMR and TDEE and learned my BMR is around 1300 - so the WW diet had me eating entirely too few calories in a day. Great for a quick loss, but not sustainable. My company offers WW on-site a couple times a year so i know a lot of people who have signed up over the years and most feel very tired and many gain the weight back the moment they are off the program.

So while I think WW has some good points to it, I also don't see it as a long-term solution due to the lower calorie consumption. Just my opinion.
    I don't think that gaining the weight back after "going off" weight watchers has anything to do with the program.
    First of all, once you reach your goal weight and maintain it for 6 weeks, you are a "lifetime member". It is supposed to teach you how to eat permanently - so there is nothing to 'go off of". If they gained all the weight back, then they stopped eating properly. Period.
    I know at least 7 people personally that lost a considerable amount of weight on Weight Watchers and didn't gain back any of it. My sister in law lost 50 lbs 15 years ago and has kept it off ever since. My mom lost 40 lbs and has kept it off for the last 10 years.

I've been a member since 2001, and I don't recall ever being given points below 20. As you mentioned, you can get more points worth if you eat higher fiber foods and less fat- which is what the old points system was geared towards. You also had the flex points, and you were supposed to eat your activity points).
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I used to do WW, and I tried it for a long, long time. I dropped seven pounds very quickly, and then stalled. Nothing. I was also always hungry. I logged. I ate fruit when I was hungry. I exercised. I did everything I was supposed to do. And I was MISERABLE.

Right before I cancelled my membership -- I figured if I wanted to pay someone for me to be hungry and miserable, I'd just cut back food and stick it in my savings account -- I totaled up the calorie count of what my allotted points gave me. I was barely clearing 1,000 calories a day. No wonder I was miserable and plateauing! As soon as I stopped doing WW and ate normal portions -- but up to a whopping 1,300 calories a day -- the pounds came back with a vengeance. Considering that my BMR is around 1,480... well, you can see why I found that ridiculous.

I've been much happier on MFP. The loss has been slower, but that's because I set that to be slower. I want to lose gradually, and not be miserable, and I want to keep the weight off.

WW was excellent at reteaching me about what a normal portion looked like. But I think if you don't have a lot to lose (my goal is around 20 pounds, and was even less then), and you're very active, that you simply don't get enough calories.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    26 WW points is equal to about 1200 calories a day, which also includes the free fruit.

Each person also gets 49 weekly points which are to be spent on splurges, outings with friends, etc.

I didn't find it necessary to go that low, and lost most of my weight doing 29 points.

As you can see by the numbers, WW is not a VLC diet.

Anybody who's ever done the program knows this.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I did WW a few years ago and it worked for me - I lost quite a bit. However, what I love about MFP and why I would never go back to WW is that on MFP, you are not only tracking calories (points) but you are aware of sugar, fiber, sodium, etc. I try and keep all of those things in mind, not just the calories. Add to that the fact the MFP is (magically) free, and its a no-brainer.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1.5" and a veggie. I did WW Online before Points Plus and lost 16 pounds to goal steadily and easily. I liked the flexibility to eat real food, whatever I wanted, in sensible portions. I was a big fan. Then I tossed it aside because I thought I didn't need to log forever (I have learned since I will be logging for the rest of my life). I put about 8 back on before I decided I had to go back. It was Points Plus then. I worked the plan for 2 months and lost 1 pound. For a petite veggie, who eats lots of fruits and veggies as the basis of their diet, I didn't think the Points Plus program worked for me. I came to MFP and lost readily again. More complete food database for my needs as well (I had to manually enter a lot on WW). I never did meetings so that was a non-issue. Bottom line for me is that MFP is free. I have to monitor portion control and log to lose and MFP lets me do that. I can't imagine taking the time to do both: if it's free, it's for me.
  • lckennedy00
    Options
    What I like about Weight Watchers, is the support and information that you would receive in person that would address how to manage your eating habits when going out to dinner, attending parties and also the plate proportions of your meals. They have excellent tips on making better choices in your food selection.

I am currently doing the on-line version of WW and I am approximately 9 lbs away from the top end of my goal weight on Weight Watchers but would like to lose a bit more weight and Iam having some difficulty with that. I .just started MFP, so for now I will likely continue with a combination of both before I make a decision one way or another.

If you are unsure about WW, attend a meeting in your city to find out more information.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I used to do WW, and I tried it for a long, long time. I dropped seven pounds very quickly, and then stalled. Nothing. I was also always hungry. I logged. I ate fruit when I was hungry. I exercised. I did everything I was supposed to do. And I was MISERABLE.

Right before I cancelled my membership -- I figured if I wanted to pay someone for me to be hungry and miserable, I'd just cut back food and stick it in my savings account -- I totaled up the calorie count of what my allotted points gave me. I was barely clearing 1,000 calories a day. No wonder I was miserable and plateauing! As soon as I stopped doing WW and ate normal portions -- but up to a whopping 1,300 calories a day -- the pounds came back with a vengeance. Considering that my BMR is around 1,480... well, you can see why I found that ridiculous.

I've been much happier on MFP. The loss has been slower, but that's because I set that to be slower. I want to lose gradually, and not be miserable, and I want to keep the weight off.

WW was excellent at reteaching me about what a normal portion looked like. But I think if you don't have a lot to lose (my goal is around 20 pounds, and was even less then), and you're very active, that you simply don't get enough calories.
    If you, or anyone feels they are starving while doing Weight Watchers then you are doing something wrong. As people said above and below, you get additional weekly points, there should be no reason you are starving. While the plan is designed to lose more weight quicker, you don't have to do that and if you aren't losing then you would obviously want to increase your points a little bit, either by making sure you eat those extra points, or increasing your daily points until you lose weight. If you are very active, as you stated above, then you need to eat your activity points, or you obviously won't be netting enough calories, because they aren't included in your daily points allowance.

That also makes no sense that you increased your calories to 1300 and then gained weight if that was still under your BMR. You need to eat above your TDEE in order to gain weight - so something doesn't add up there, and that also has nothing to do with Weight Watchers itself. You also said that you stopped doing weight watchers and started eating normal portions, so what were you eating before? WW teaches you how to eat normal portions, which you said so yourself.

The points system is based on the macros of the food you eat - if you eat foods that are higher in certain macros but lower in calories, then you are going to use up all your points and still be at a very low calorie count.
    If you want to make sure that you are eating enough calories - while eating the correct amount of points - then you need to make better food choices. It is that simple - and THAT is what Weight Watchers is supposed to teach you. I have no problem staying within my points, feeling full, having energy, AND eating well above 1200 calories every day.
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have been a member of MFP for 2 years now. By July 2012 I lost 20 pounds, but I was never able to fully commit to the MFP system. Even though I was provided with great tools for success, I still wasn't losing weight. A few weeks ago, I realized that this was because I had no real accountability. I personally joined Weight Watchers because it provides the accountability I am looking for. My leader encourages us to have a fruit or veggie with every meal, exercise often, and even encourages eating back some of our exercise points. I like being able to see the same people every week and see how their journey is progressing and share in our triumphs (and failures). I have never felt like I am "dieting", just being cognizant of what I am eating. I do not plan on going to Weight Watchers forever. I plan on attending until I lose 50-70 pounds, since I don't think I could eat less than 30 points a day (right now I have 36 points a day which is about 1450-1600 calories). I say follow whichever "plan" you think you can stick to. For the stage of weight loss I am in right now, I love Weight Watchers (even if I have to pay them $12 a week).
  • tdawg875
    tdawg875 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree. I feel the opposite. WW pushes you to healthier, whole foods, not processed foods. It is more points for processed, less nutritious foods. Cup of brown rice or some sugary cereal where you will be hungry soon. If you want to get the most bang for your buck, you find that you can eat more food and stay within you points if the food is healthy. And fruits and most veggie are zero points - again encouraging healthier eating. I have done weight watchers for some time and I am glad that I started with it because it has taught me to eat healthier foods. Right now I am double tracking (WW & MFP) because I wanted a full picture of what I was eating and wanted to see how many calories I was consuming compared to the points.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I agree. I feel the opposite. WW pushes you to healthier, whole foods, not processed foods. It is more points for processed, less nutritious foods. Cup of brown rice or some sugary cereal where you will be hungry soon. If you want to get the most bang for your buck, you find that you can eat more food and stay within you points if the food is healthy. And fruits and most veggie are zero points - again encouraging healthier eating. I have done weight watchers for some time and I am glad that I started with it because it has taught me to eat healthier foods. Right now I am double tracking (WW & MFP) because I wanted a full picture of what I was eating and wanted to see how many calories I was consuming compared to the points.
    You are exactly right - and I think the people who say they were always hungry on WW and gained their weight back when they stopped following it, were most likely eating unhealthy foods! So of course they would be hungry, because they were using up all of their points and not eating enough, and of course they gained the weight back!
  • scottal07
    scottal07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been on weight watchers for the past year and just cancelled my subscription. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED Weight Watchers. I think that the thing that weight watchers really teaches its members is portion control and not depriving yourself. They allow for the occasional treat and give you great tools and support. I learned so much about my eating habits and how to fix them.

I also got to the point where my daily points were not enough and I was eating to little. I work out daily and burn 500-800 calories 6 days a week (more if it is a long run for half marathon trianing). Using my dailies and even all of my weeklies was not giving me the fuel I needed and my weight loss has stalled. Thats why I joined MFP so I could watch the calories and really increase intake on high calorie burn days. I have been double tracking in MFP and WW and realized the get to my calorie goal, I wasusing all of my daily points, weekly points, and about a third of my activity points earned. I so was not eating enough.

I would totally say to do weight watchers if you need to learn the tools for healthy eating, it really is the best way that I found. MFP is great once you have those tools and can apply them.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I have been on weight watchers for the past year and just cancelled my subscription. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED Weight Watchers. I think that the thing that weight watchers really teaches its members is portion control and not depriving yourself. They allow for the occasional treat and give you great tools and support. I learned so much about my eating habits and how to fix them.

I also got to the point where my daily points were not enough and I was eating to little. I work out daily and burn 500-800 calories 6 days a week (more if it is a long run for half marathon trianing). Using my dailies and even all of my weeklies was not giving me the fuel I needed and my weight loss has stalled. Thats why I joined MFP so I could watch the calories and really increase intake on high calorie burn days. I have been double tracking in MFP and WW and realized the get to my calorie goal, I wasusing all of my daily points, weekly points, and about a third of my activity points earned. I so was not eating enough.

I would totally say to do weight watchers if you need to learn the tools for healthy eating, it really is the best way that I found. MFP is great once you have those tools and can apply them.
    This makes excellent sense!
  • NurseKristi81
    NurseKristi81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am currently a lifetime WW member and I continute to track alongside MFP, I lost 80 + pounds on WW and I agree that they are very close in values. The only thing that WW offers in the meeting encouragement, this was never helpful to me though, the $$$$ being spent was main motivator! lol I like the online supoort of both groups.
  • dougheater
    Options
    Interesting about WW not having 20 points any longer. I lost 60 lbs nine years ago on WW and managed to maintain my goal weight of 115 lbs until about 2 years ago when I went back to school and gained ten lbs. This past semester I put on another 4 and that's when I decided to rejoin. The lack of physical activity on my part due to lack of time is what I attribute my recent weight gain to. I was considering going back to WW but I am in school to be an RD and many of the RD's I practice under now recommend MFP to their patients which is how I heard of this site and decided to check it out.

During my end of WW my maintenance points were 19 a day. It was very hard for me and I think I needed more food due to my activity level then. I was very limited in what I could eat on such a tight point system because there were some foods I had to eat everyday (my Greek yogurt, for one) and I found myself so tightly managed on points that I was afraid to try something out of my usual meals for fear of going over. It was a great plan for me and gave me the accountability I needed when I was losing the weight. It was easy to motivate myself by telling me to "just stick to the plan and you will lose."

I'm not ruling out going back on it yet because I believe in it and it changed my life, but I thought I would give MFP a try before recommitting myself. If anything, I will be able to use the comparison of both programs to help my future patients.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Can't you follow the plan without paying?

I never understood how they continued to make money. They tell you what to do and you do it on your own, why do people continue to pay?
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I've done both. MFP is much easier in my opinion, not to mention all the years of pretty much starving myself on 1000 calories on WW totally sucked. So glad I know better now.