Personalized TDEE Help...

Options
Is my TDEE too high? Right now, I have it set at 2,499.

I'm female, 27, 5'4. I'm 250 lbs. Body Fat is 44%. I exercise 30 minutes five times a week. Otherwise, I'm usually a stay at home mom and college student. I sleep maybe five hours a night.

Anyway, if anyone can help me calculate my TDEE, please help me..I would definitely appreciate it. I don't want to be setting it too high by some error on my part. Thanks...

Replies

• JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Try this... this is what I use and many others on here.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I'm 240, 5'6 and my TDEE is about 2500. So we're pretty close. I eat about 1800 calories a day to lose.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Using the Scooby's Workshop calculator and the Katch McArdle formula that takes into account body fat %, I get 2700 if you get 3-5 hours of moderate exercise weekly or 2400 at 1-3 hours light exercise. You're probably in between those since your exercise is likely more than "light" but is also only about 2.5 hours/week. Probably about 2500-2600 day on average.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Plugged your info into fat2fitradio's BMR calculator and this is what I got:

Custom BMR Calculation

Thanks for checking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

Entered information: 27 year old female, 64 inches tall, weighing 250 pounds, BMI of 42.9 (Obese).

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 250 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1916 calories.

Katch-McArdle Forumla

The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 44%, you have a lean body mass of 140 lbs., and your BMR is 1745 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level

Daily Calories

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job)

Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)

Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)

Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

So, if you are lightly active, set your calories at 2635 minus 20% (2115) and do not eat back exercise calories unless you drop below your BMR of 1745. Recalculate every 10-20 pounds lost.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Entered information: 27 year old female, 64 inches tall, weighing 250 pounds, BMI of 42.9 (Obese).

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 250 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1916 calories.

Katch-McArdle Forumla

The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 44%, you have a lean body mass of 140 lbs., and your BMR is 1745 calories.

So do NOT eat to that table.

Notice the spread difference between the more accurate Katch BMR, and the least accurate Harris BMR.

Guess which value the table is based on? Go ahead, change the bodyfat stat to anything else, doesn't matter.

So that 171 inflated BMR becomes 235 inflated with Lightly Active level, and 265 inflated with Moderately Active level.

Even if you take a deficit of 20%, still 188 inflated at Lightly Active and 212 with Mod Active. That's an extra lb every 4 weeks almost.

Suggest not to eat more than you need to by starting out with a bad value. Still a good method, but can be improved.

Might as well log your food at about 25% of what you really ate, and then wonder why the loss isn't as much as it could be.

Use this to truly use the Katch formula, and both those bodyfat calc's together, and a better activity calculator, and a way to log your measurement progress.

Spreadsheet linked in this topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones