Exercise With a Knee Injury

Options
I twisted my knee last week and seem to have sprained it... I don't want to go weeks without exercising, I'll never want to get started again. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do in the meantime?

Replies

• mrslynch
    mrslynch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just went to the doctor this afternoon with a knee injury (still have no clue what I did to it...), and I was told NOT to - but if I must continue doing my cardio, swimming or the exercise bikes are the best option. I was even told no elliptical :-P. Thank God I have a gym membership as well :-(
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'd first get the knee checked out to rule out any serious injuries before trying any exercise.

With that said, I tore my left ACL ligament 5 weeks back and my physiotherapist has cleared me to do various exercises like squats, lunges, jump rope, shadow boxing etc. I do them at home with 6 lbs weights in circuits in addition to planks and pushups. The training as well as physiotherapy sessions (at the moment mostly balancing routines) actually helped me go from 100% instability of my left knee three weeks ago to 40% instability now. At the very beginning when I couldn't bend my knee due to pain I would stand in place and box with weights in hand and do one legged planks, pushups etc.

However as mentioned above, it really is important to consult with your doctor before starting exercising again. Your doctor could also give you suggestions about what exercises you can do safely.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Work on upper body strength.
    swimming
    heavy bag (be carefull not to move to much)
    Yoga (it will probably help you heal faster, and prevent injuries in the future) Good way to keep a routine when you can't go hard.

As your knee heals up work on strengthening the supporting muscles to ensure it doesn't get re-injured