Do/should you eat your exercise calories?

Options
I am new here..still trying to figure everything out but one thing that has me confused is the idea behind the calories. I am training for a 5k.. I run 25 min a day.. that burns over 300 calories. this isn't going to get any smaller as my running time only increases.. I have a huge problem with getting all my calories in to begin with. At the end of a normal day I will have 300-400 calories that I need to eat in the evenings after dinner.. with adding in my exercise calories that pushes me over 600-700 calories...am I supposed to eat those.. or is it like a bank.. were a big balance is a good thing..lol

Replies

• Felistorm
    Felistorm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering too. I tend to eat some but not all of mine. Like about half to 3/4 I guess but I've still been losing which is a good thing. I would love to know though :D
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I want to know too! I've currently been not eating my exercise calories and eating 1200 calories a day. I just don't get how it would make sense to eat the calories you "earned" when you're trying to lose weight. Anyone know?
  • aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    This has always been a big debate on MFP. I think it is a personally preference. First of all your daily calories with out exercise already has a deficit. So you can eat all of your exercise calories and will still lose as you have already burned these off. Personally I have done it both ways. Currently I am not eating my exercise calories because I am eating such a clean diet with such few processed foods. So I am consuming a high volume of food for very few calories. So in the end it is up to you. If you are hungry I say go ahead and eat some or all of them. If you are not hungry I wouldn't eat just to fill a number.
  • fauxdetresse
    Options
    you're supposed to eat your exercise calories. working out increases your metabolism and builds lean muscle so when you lose weight, it doesn't look flabby. especially if you eat 1200 calories-- your NET should be at least 1200, not how much you consume.