I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not...

Im just thinking, i have around another 10kg that i want to loose. I want to be fit and toned rather than skinny. Iv reduced the amount of calories i'm eating and going to the gym 4 times a week. But what i am thinking is what do i do about my calorie intake after i have gotten to my goal weight? Do i increase it to keep my weight steady and keep going to the gym? Or do i keep it low? I eat alot of protein, would i have to increase that too? Sorry if this is a stupid question i am new to this whole thing.

Replies

• erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Hard to tell with your diary locked. You don't say what amount of calories you are at now or what your fitness level is at the moment. More details are needed!
  • " Sorry if this is a stupid question i am new to this whole thing."

I have always been told the only stupid question is one you do not ask.
    I am not sure I think keeping on the calorie goal would work. Like I said I don't know that much. I still am learning to say no to some of my favorite comfort foods.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Bump for answers.

It's not a stupid question. I'm still a bit puzzled as to what to do when I hit goal, too. I even wonder if I should eat at a slight surplus to build muscle since I want a bit more, but don't want to regain fat.
  • Katey_Gabbitas
    Katey_Gabbitas Posts: 20 Member
    I'll have a look at how to unlock my diary :) Im currently eating around 1300 calories a day, my job is a desk job and my fitness is relatively good, at the gym i do spinning classes and resistance training on the power plate, i rock climb and i swim on occasion. im currently 65 kilos. :)
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    When you hit goal, you increase your calories to your maintenance level. It might take a while to figure out exactly what amount of calories is going to be right for you long-term.

And, why wouldn't you continue going to the gym when you reach your goal? After all, exercise isn't just for weight loss. Keep working out for all the other health benefits.
  • Katey_Gabbitas
    I was always going to keep going to the gym, i was just asking advise on whether to keep everything at what i am currently or change the amount of time spent or anything.
  • Katey_Gabbitas
    Also, note i have not finished filling in my diary for today.
  • Bump...definately not a stupid question...one we all want/need to know.

Steve
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Once you hit your goal, you would want to bump your calories up, or you would still be losing. When you get to your goal, and you start to eat more calories, just remember that it takes a little while to figure out exactly what that is for your body, so you might lose or gain a couple of pounds here and there, until you figure it out.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Once you hit your goal, you would want to bump your calories up, or you would still be losing. When you get to your goal, and you start to eat more calories, just remember that it takes a little while to figure out exactly what that is for your body, so you might lose or gain a couple of pounds here and there, until you figure it out.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    I am in maintain mode now, and I have pretty much kept my calories the same. I still go to the gym 5-6 days a week, so I did up my calories a little bit. If you plan on going to the gym or exercising the same amount once you reach your goal, I'd imagine you'd have to adjust your calories, or else you would stay in weight loss mode.

Once you reach your goal, and adjust the information on My Fitness Pal, it will tell you your estimated Calorie intake to maintain.

Good luck!!
  • thats not a stupid question! Im just sorry I dont have the answer.
  • Katey_Gabbitas
    Thank you for all the replies :) I am so confused by the amount of things im supposed to be eating. I used to go over on my protein alot anyway, but after doing research and things i deliberately eat more chicken, tuna, salmon and other things that naturally have alot of protein in. Maintaining seems so daunting!
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    My fifth grade teacher told me there are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions.

Pardon the humor and no offense intended, I just like to share that comment when I can.

Anyway, slowly adjust your calories up until you stop losing weight. You will probably have a few ups and downs trying to get your numbers right. Make sure you update your profile and goals in MFP as you change. I have found my maintenance numbers to be very close to what I was eating while losing .5lbs/week.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Once you hit your goal weight I would definitely increase your calorie intake slightly. Look on MFP to see what your maintenance would be. Also a good idea to increase if you are looking to tone up. You should increase calories, decrease cardio and lift lift lift!!! Check out some of the transformations on various heavy lifting threads- its amazing at what heavy weights can do to a woman's body!
  • Katey_Gabbitas
    I've heard quite a few people saying lifting is great for women too! I messed around with my settings a little bit if i got to my target weight of 55kg and wanted to maintain it i should be eating around 1600 which seems about right i guess?

Haha no offense taken.