coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I think I'll give up jesus for lent

thanks-jesus-for-this-food-de-nada.jpg

Gracias Jesus, Gracias!!! LOL!!!
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    my brother says "lent is for people who failed at their new years resolutions"
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Holy ****, Lent's next week? That means Fat Tuesday is next week.

I NEED SOME PACZKIS.

Almost time for stuffed polish pastry goodness.....Arghrghrghrgh
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I am giving up alcohol.
  • kendunn579
    kendunn579 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i consider practices like lent to be both religious and cultural, and therefor not divisive.

What would it be like if we couldn't talk about christmas cookies, or halloween candy? these things also have religious origins!

Had to say that as a non-religious person who recognizes my cutlural history is inherently linked with catholicism, whether I like it or not!

interesting, I thought they were pagan ceremonies... But I guess that was religion.

I'm giving up Big Macs...
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I NEED SOME PACZKIS.

i really need to send you a friend request. i'm debating between hiking all the way to Hamtramck or just getting them from the Polish Market in Troy... one paczki a year is not going to kill me (she said ominously)... besides, prunes are good for you :drinker:

OP - to answer your question (in the spirit in which it was posed), i'm going to give up complaining about things... did this a few years ago, and it really helped me to be a better person to be around... so, basically, i'm hoping this 40 days will finally make the habit stick...

best of luck with your modifications as well!
  • I am not done with my list by any means but here is my start

Myself giving up:
    Fast food
    Pop
    Sugar and
    TV

Myself giving back:
    Bible reading everyday for 1 hour
    Working out 1 hour

And Id like to find how to give back to the community but I am not sure how so Ill for sure be looking for ideas. My fiance and I will also be coming up with a list together of what to give up together, give together, give to eachother ect.

Great topic! :)
  • pebbs80
    pebbs80 Posts: 102
    Options

And Id like to find how to give back to the community but I am not sure how so Ill for sure be looking for ideas.

Well you can go online and search for soup kitchens or shelters in your area and give time working there. You can go through your own things and donate them. Like I donate my clothes (since they are mostly business casual) to a place that helps women get jobs and off the streets. You can help a neighbor or do a random act of kindness.
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    I don't celebrate lent. Not a church or bible believer. But I respect everyone's beliefs.

However, if I were to give something up for any reason it would be ....pasta/bread that is not whole grain. I guess.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i consider practices like lent to be both religious and cultural, and therefor not divisive.

What would it be like if we couldn't talk about christmas cookies, or halloween candy? these things also have religious origins!

Had to say that as a non-religious person who recognizes my cutlural history is inherently linked with catholicism, whether I like it or not!

interesting, I thought they were pagan ceremonies... But I guess that was religion.

I'm giving up Big Macs...

They were. And it is.

Tho they were co-opted by Christianity. The best way to force pagans to convert was to allow them to practice old pagan holidays under Christian pretense. Christmas is winter solstice. Halloween is now "all saints day eve"....even Imbolc is now Candlemas, and the goddess Brigid is now Saint Brigid. Catholics crown Mary the May Queen each year...and old pagan tradition of beltane.

Lent I don't know of any origin outside the context of Christianity, but fasting is a part of a lot of religious/spiritual practices.

And, like I said, I think it's just as much cultural as it is spiritual. And if we won't allow cultural posts becuase they don't include "everybody" then I think the Mods will never get a break! LOL!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic but I might still give something up for lent lol. I want to try to completely give up refined sugar. Cakes, cookies, all of that. Beer as well. I try to stay away from it anyways but am not very successful.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I hope to give up abstenance for Lent. Not sure how much luck I will have.

:laugh:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

I NEED SOME PACZKIS.

:laugh:

I had that thought, too!
  • ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm not religious, but maybe chocolate? 'cos then at the end I get chocolate Easter eggs! :)
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Last year, I gave up fast food....saved money and a ton of calories!
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I gave up Lent for lent years ago...have been very successful!!
  • pebbs80
    Options

^^My belly jiggled when I laughed... so I think I'm making the right choice on what I'm giving up.

And good for you for sticking with it!
  • pebbs80
    Options
    Last year, I gave up fast food....saved money and a ton of calories!

This is what I'm hoping for!
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up chocolate, so I'll likely do that again...
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

:laugh: That's what my Dad told me last year when I asked what he was giving up.