Birth Control Question

Options
2»

Replies

• namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Be careful with IUD - my cousin had hers go through her uterus and end up having to be surgically removed because the hole healed up and they couldn't just pull it out. She said it was painful during sex and that's how she knew something was wrong.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Be careful with IUD - my cousin had hers go through her uterus and end up having to be surgically removed because the hole healed up and they couldn't just pull it out. She said it was painful during sex and that's how she knew something was wrong.

Luckily I haven't had a problem, but I hear it's a risk. It's more likely for it to perforate or to get an infection within the first three months, and then I think it goes down. But yeah, it's more dangerous if you haven't given birth (I haven't, and my friend who also has one hasn't either)
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Luckily I haven't had a problem, but I hear it's a risk. It's more likely for it to perforate or to get an infection within the first three months, and then I think it goes down. But yeah, it's more dangerous if you haven't given birth (I haven't, and my friend who also has one hasn't either)

The DR was convinced that she couldn't have had anything happen like that because my cousin had 3 kids already ::eyeroll:: silly doctors...
  • veggiegirlie2
    veggiegirlie2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know not taking birth control isn't a choice for some people. but it's like everything i have ever taken has lead to one bad side effect or another. i don't blame you for taking birth control by any means....it's just not for me. i was on the mirena iud for 6months and had some horrible side effects and now i see comercials for lawsuits! that's why im cold turkey, lol. i hope you figure out was works for you. i'd hate it to effect your weight gain and workout mojo :[ there's risks with everything
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

Be careful of birth control pills, too. They put me in the hospital with DVT and hypercoagulability of my blood. (also, I had a pulmonary embolism thanks to that.) IUD is the only option for some folks.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I'm Catholic. No wait a minute, the company that I work for says I'm Catholic. :)
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread, I think that I'm leaning towards Nuvaring instead of getting back on pills!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I was on Nuvaring for a couple years when I first started birth control, but at some point it started slipping a lot :ohwell: Not really sure why (looking back, I'm wondering if it started slipping around the time I gained a LOT of weight in college) but that's when I switched to pills. I do like my current Rx, but I'd love to not have to remember to take it every blasted day. However, my current boyfriend and I are more..."adventurous" in the bedroom than I was when using the ring, so I worry about it being in the way of some of the things we do. I've considered an IUD but the horror stories keep making me put off actually doing it. I guess for now, I'm just settling with the pills.
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Pixie, what kind of BC pills do you take? I was considering going back on Yaz, but I don't know. I'm kind of weirded out by Nuvaring too. LOL. I guess there are draw backs on everything!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I have been on the patch since 2005 (with exception to 15 months where I was pregnant and then breastfeeding)... and I personally, haven't had any problems with it... A small scare when I found out I had pluresy back in 2006.. but other than that, I haven't be bat crazy like the depo shot made me...
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've been on Nuvaring for 11 years now.

Birth control pills are so old fashioned and riddled with side effects. (based on my personal experience).

And no accidental kids here.... :)

I had the WORST side effects from Nuva ring. Went off it and back to the pill and I was fine in 2 weeks.

I use loestrien 24 or lo loestrien. everyone is different. I would give it a month and if you still have issues talk to your Dr.
  • RagenGBrown
    Options
    I experienced the same thing when I switch from lo-estrin to tri-sprintec but I had HORRIABLE mood swings! lol My poor husband! But after the 1st month it's leveled out and my appetite is back to normal. I would give it a month, but if it doesn't change, I would definately go back, you know your body better than the doctor does and that's what they are there for! Good luck!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Pixie, what kind of BC pills do you take? I was considering going back on Yaz, but I don't know. I'm kind of weirded out by Nuvaring too. LOL. I guess there are draw backs on everything!

Ortho-cept. I've been on it for about 4 years now (except those few months when the pharmacy gave me generics :grumble: ) and it really works well for me.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    When you find something that isn't giving stupid side effects, I feel like it's worth it to try to stick with it. I don't know how your plan works, but maybe see if your doctor can put "brand necessary" on the Rx. When I had Seasonique, my doctor said since it was working well for me for several years that I should probably keep on the brand unless I really wanted to pay less and take a chance on the generic. The old "if it ain't broke..." idea. (I have an Implanon now because I can't have the estrogen.)
  • AndreaMerrill
    AndreaMerrill Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You said your company uses mail order . Does your insurance company also do regular pharmacys? My insurance does both pharmacys and mail order. I've used the mail order as it's much cheaper and you get 90 days at a time.

Obama's new health care plan that's happening has already made some changes - have others noticed this?
    Regular physicals are considered preventative care and no longer have co pays.
    Contraceptives are now also no charge! I knew this was coming - but didn't know it was here until I filled my birth control pills through the mail order. I was charge $0 !!!

So what I'm saying is maybe you can get them through a regular pharmacy that carries the brand you wanted and end up paying nothing :-) I use Necon and have for about 16 years (except when I went off to have my daughter). I've had no issues but I know everyone's different.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    They're not the same! Don't believe them!! It's not about generic versus not.. sometimes the generic will work better for you (it does for me).

And yes, I've gained weight on the pill and it's part of the weight I'm trying to lose now. Some pills may make weight loss more dificult; other pills may actually cause you to retain water or gain weight.

Keep in mind though that it takes about 3 months for your body to come up to speed with your new pill. it's possible that this weight gain is because of the transition..

I don' think there's an easy answer for this, but I just kept switching up every 3 months for about a year until I found one that worked for me.