"Reserving" Calories for the weekend

Options
So I have seen some posts about people who stay under their calorie goals during the week so they can have a little wiggle room on the weekends. Has anyone had sucess or failure with this method? I am curious to try it but looking for some input before doing it. Thanks!

Replies

• juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Tried that this past weekend for the first time and wow, it's like being hung over after eating so carefully for months.
    Headaches, bloating, tummy aches during the weekend and all day yesterday.
    Not worth it for me even if it is possible to "reserve" calories without undoing all my week's work. Chocolates and crackers suddenly don't look as tasty after that experience, bring on the moderation :-)
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time.

The key is to still remain diligent on weekends. Having some extra calories does not mean going overboard all weekend long.

And for me it doesn't mean throwing all of my good habits out the window. I still eat healthfully at meal times though I will indulge in desserts and a glass or two of wine as part of my extra calories.

It all depends on what's worth it to you.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I try to look at the week as a calorie goal, rather than daily. I know that some days earlier in the week I will work out harder and eat less. There are other nights when I am out with customers where a bigger dinner and beer drinking will be part of my calorie count. And then the weekend arrives, where there is always something going on. I always look at my weekly total after my Sunday log is completed. If the total number of cals remaining is in the green,, then I have achieved my goal. For me personally, it is less pressure to make the weekly goal rather than trying to stay under on a daily basis. And after doing this for nearly 2 years, I have found that I hardly ever exceed my weekly calorie goal if I continue to stay committed to my exercise routine.

However, it doesn't matter how I think or feel - it is entirely up to you. How you feel, and how your body reacts to extra calories over the course of a weekend will answer your question. It is a learning process for your mind and your body's reaction to the changes that you make. Good luck!!!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yes I am mostly looking to eat healthy, but really enjoying a few beers or glasses of wine or dessert or maybe even just a nice Sunday dinner is my desire. The problem is I usually only have time to squeeze in a yoga class on Sundays, so I have fewer calories on the weekends than during the week, reserving cals during the week might give me the opportunity to enjoy my down time.