How do I lose 14 pounds?

If I lost two pounds a week, it'd take a month and three weeks but how do I go about that? How do I lose two pounds a week?

I'm not complaining about 14 pounds by the way, so don't think that. I actually have 29 pounds to lose but I'm going in increments.

Maybe that's what everyone should do. Have small goals instead of big ones.

Replies

• small goals are easier to reach and less stressful...I made too big of a goal for myself and still haven't reached it a year later...due to bad choices I made and my depression :(
  • Just set your goal for 1lb a week and exercise regularly. Keep to that daily calorie allottment (exercise gives you more calories to eat!) and the weight will slowly melt off. It's science. Don't give yourself deadlines because that makes it hard to change your lifestyle on the long term.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Small goals are good to keep you motivated but don't lose sight of the big picture. Remember you are on a path to become healthy while being thinner. With that in mind, the way I managed was to log food and exercise regularly. Until you have a menu you are comfortable sustaining and can live with, anything you lose will come back eventually if you don't make life changes
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    if you're going to try and stick to two lbs a week you'll be on 1200 calories which more often then not put people off, also you need to remember weight loss is not linear- for example when you're around your period you can put on between 2-5lbs of retained water even if you've been eating well and exercising. When I first started I was loosing 2-4lbs for the first month when I was only on a 1lb deficit!
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Think mostly fitness! That is, health. I've gotten "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and it's great. The book deals with a lot of health and fitness issues and would be a good read even if you decide not to lift. Also, GET OUTSIDE! I feel so much better when I do and it helps me stay on track. Remember this is a life change--make it good!
  • I definitely agree. Yes, my initial goal was to lose 15-20 pounds, but even after 6 months I've only lost about 8. Now I make small goal like 2-5 pounds and I just go with the flow. I understand if there s an event you want to "look good" for or what not, but even just eating healthier and getting exercise will give you more confidence, even if you don't lose that 14 pounds.
  • My best advice is to stay within the 1200 calorie limit. If you add in exercise you will want to eat a little more so you will have energy. Also only eat whole wheat. Cut all "white" carbs and sugars (this means pre-packaged snacks). Try not to focus so much on the end goal as on shorter goals (as others have mentioned). It can be daunting to thing of losing 14 lbs. but if you only think of losing the 2 lbs. each week it is much easier! Good luck! =)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    If you've only got 14lbs to lose, set your goals to .5lb/week. 1lb/week absolutely tops.