Two seconds away from throwing in the towel!

Options

Replies

• Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi. I notice a lot of days in your diary where you don't log at all. So it's hard to look and tell how consistently you're eating under your calorie limit. You also have to take into account how much sodium you're eating since it can contribute to water retention. I started counting calories and lost only 2lbs in a month. However, I wasn't being consistent enough. I started measuring everything and eating at or under my calorie limit and I'm seeing results now...on the scale and in inches lost. Good luck.

This! Start by logging EVERYTHING and EVERYDAY. Don't guess, weigh your portions or check the nutritional value on the label, you might be surprised. MFP only does the maths based on what you tell you ate - not on what you actually ate. Don't give up before you gave dedicated accurate logging a serious go!
  • lalalee13
    lalalee13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are struggling! One thing I have been thinking a lot recently is about how much time it's going to take to lose the
    weight. That seems disheartening- "Can I do this for that long?" But then I realize 6 months or a year... is going to pass whether I lose the weight or not. SO, we might as well lose it! Hang in there and don't give up! Log more consistently and consider weighing less. See how you feel, how your clothes feel, instead of looking at the number. Blessings!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    from looking at your diary..your logging is inconsistent. you need to make it a habit. Also eating processed foods does and will increase your sodium...which will cause water weight gain.

I also noticed that there are days you dont log, days you do..and eat a healthy amount..and other days where you barely eat....

When I started..I tried to log my food..make it a habit...regardless of what I ate. then I worked on other things..you many need to do babysteps...

I dont really see any fresh fruits or veggies...
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is a journey, not a sprint. I have been stopped for about 2 weeks now but I feel better inside. I had to change my way of thinking. The scale is evil, it varies with water and hormones and all kinds of things. Be consistent, be honest with yourself and remember that you did not gain all the weight over night. One day at a time. I suggest taking measurements and doing fat percentage. I am now focusing on those numbers and I know the scale will change eventually.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you really have no way of knowing what your intake has been because you're not logging accurately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    When you click the "complete diary" button, it uses a mathematical equation to give an estimate of what you could potentially weigh, but it is in no way accurate give the innumerable variables in our human actions and physiology.

I don't know if anyone has pointed that out, but I feel it's an important note.

Also, three to six pounds lost in five weeks is really good, IMO. You're making progress, so giving up would be kind of stupid at this point.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    You only fail if you quit.
  • waitresschick85
    Options
    Don't give up! You can do this! Since you are feeling so discouraged stop weighing your self for a couple of weeks. Some would disagree but if you are about to give up then not looking at that number may help you stay on track. Sometimes staying within the calorie limit won't let you lose weight if you are still eating things that are unhealthy. A candy bar may have the same amt of calories as a meal but it is full of fat, carbs, and has no nutritional value (not saying you eat candy bars just using that as an example). Try adding more fresh fruits and especially veggies (carrots, salad, cucumbers, celery). Also you may be retaining water so try drinking more water (I know seems couterproductive but it works). For the few weeks that you don't weigh yourself, try to hit your calorie goal 100% of the time and exercise 45 minutes at least 3 times a week. (This way you will know you followed your plan exactly.)

If, when you weigh yourself in a few weeks you have still not seen any results, I suggest seriously considering making an appointment with your doctor. There are things that can cause weight to be retained that are medical conditions. Also a doctor can help give you advice on weight loss. I know how you feel and I hope you can stay with it! =)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your fat loss. I encourage you to keep it up, the more excess fat you lose the better you will feel. Try to weigh yourself less, once a month maybe. Focus much less on your weight and more on your health and how you look and feel. Good luck :smile:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Tough love time.

You suck at logging your food. You have many, many empty days. Today you logged 910 'quick add' calories.

Chances are you are over-eating, and you don't even know it. I know you don't want to hear that, because it makes it your fault, but no-one else is going to take responsibility for your health, so you probably should.

If you are really serious, start logging your food properly. Get a scale and weigh everything, because you can kid yourself very easily with scoops, and if you're this bad at logging, you shouldn't trust yourself. Do that for a month, then come back if it's not working and people can actually look at your diary and help you.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but results don't come by accident, and it sounds like what you really need is a firm kick in the backside.
  • jennifermarie16144
    Options
    Please dont throw in the towel!!! Even if you are not seeing the results just yet that you would like, you are a healthier person on the inside for doing this. Maybe you can do a lil extra exercise this week or maybe you have lost inches versus lbs. A lot of the time you can judge the changes in your body by the way your clothes fit. Keep on it and in time you will thank yourself for pushing through!! Best of luck to you!!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I agree with most. Measure and log everything every day and don't eat back all your exercise calories.

I'm having problems with losing and gaining the same 3 pounds, too (for 6 weeks now). I need to see a new low weight SO BAD right now. I know there are days when I slack on the logging, so my focus right now is on being absolutely honest and consistent.

I also upped my calories from 1200 to 1320 (the figure MFP gave me for losing 1 pound per week). I had wanted to keep my calories at 1200 so that the few extra bites or tastes that end up in my mouth wouldn't derail me, but it wasn't working, so I'm going to quit biting and tasting if I have to tie a bandana around my mouth every time I go into the kitchen.

We'll get it figured out. Giving up is not an option!
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Stay with it no matter what.YOu can't give up!! Persistence pays off ! I know what you mean by gaining & losing the same three pounds I did that FOREVER!! I was wanting to give up also and then I said to myself..No I am not!! I had told myself last year was the year I would reach my goal.WELL THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN BECAUSE I GAVE UP! I started back on MFP the day after Christmas and I have stuck to it! I have I did good everyday, No I haven't but I have noticed that the more I stay at it,the easier it has been.I have lost 13lbs as this morning and 6 inches from different areas, I am just as happy with the inches as I am the pounds.So don't give up !! You can do this!! Feel free to add me..I will help in anyway I can..:smile:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    When you click the "complete diary" button, it uses a mathematical equation to give an estimate of what you could potentially weigh, but it is in no way accurate give the innumerable variables in our human actions and physiology.

I don't know if anyone has pointed that out, but I feel it's an important note.

Also, three to six pounds lost in five weeks is really good, IMO. You're making progress, so giving up would be kind of stupid at this point.

this,

and this. Keep pushing yourself. In six months, you can either be somewhere better or in the exact same spot or worse than where you are right now. Put in the time and work and you will reap the benefits. Figure out whether you're worth the dedication and then run with it like your *kitten* is on fire.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    Could be a number of things, counting calories wrong, carbohydrates set too high, excessive sodium intake resulting in water retention, or a thyroid condition. I currently have my carbs set to 35%. You might want to start there. Make sure you are drinking your water. :-)
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Nothing in life that's worth having comes easy. Don't give up, keep pushing through in spite of the frustration and disappointment. Eat right, exercise daily, drink tons of water, it WILL happen. If you're sure you are doing things right, and it still doesn't, check with your doctor. There may be other issues, hormonal, or maybe thyroid!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do tough love here. OK give up who cares? The only one that will be affected is you. So trying to eat better everyday and move your body didnt do any good? You wasted your time? It was a stupid waste of energy to make your heart, lungs, and muscles stronger? I mean after all the only important thing about fitness is how much you weigh. Who cares about extending the quality of your life for years. Who cares that you wont suffer from diabetes, hypertension, strokes, and possible debiltiy by not trying to live the healthiest you can live. The scale is the only motivator.

OK now that I got that out of the way. Only two things will absolutely happen to you. You will get old and you will die (oh, and taxes will happen). Hopefully, God willing, you will get older and not pass away prematurely. So one of the only choices you can make in life is how you want to get older. I think being fit and strong and living independently is the best way to get old.

Keep moving foward! Everyday try to eat better and move a little more you will see change and progress. This isnt a race this is a your life for the rest of your life. You are off to a great start. You can do this. You want to do this. Nothing else matters to you but being the most healthiest and balanced You that you can be.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I need some help/support. Every day for WEEKS my diary entries have been saying in 5 weeks, I'd be between 231 and 234. Meanwhile, in the past 5 weeks, I've gone from 247 to 241, now back up to 244 and I'm stuck there- help! I'm two seconds away from giving up but I want this to be the time I succeed more than anything! I've been eating within 50 calories of my goal 95% of the time. I've only gone to the gym twice (today will be #3 for spin class) but calorie reduction alone should show me a loss of a pound of two, not a gain then plateau! Help!! D:

You really want this to be the time you succeed, but you are close to giving up?? My guess is that you are not logging accurately or your settings are messed up. You need to accurately measure everything that crosses your lips. Buckle down and keep going. It really your only choice.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Oh and this! I've lived my life with regret and fear for years because it was too hard. I'm not living that way anymore theres only one movement we should be making and that is foward.
  • edencrannon
    edencrannon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I need some help/support. Every day for WEEKS my diary entries have been saying in 5 weeks, I'd be between 231 and 234. Meanwhile, in the past 5 weeks, I've gone from 247 to 241, now back up to 244 and I'm stuck there- help! I'm two seconds away from giving up but I want this to be the time I succeed more than anything! I've been eating within 50 calories of my goal 95% of the time. I've only gone to the gym twice (today will be #3 for spin class) but calorie reduction alone should show me a loss of a pound of two, not a gain then plateau! Help!! D:
    I feel exactly the same! I'm so so fed up, I've bed. Going to the gym 4/5 times per week and have put on 2lbs.... Not good! Fed up:( xx