Exercise for those with Knee Problems?

Options
Looking to see if any of you have knee problems and what kind exercise do you most enjoy?

I have big legs and osteoarthritis in both knee's.

I have been doing stationary bike and now it seems my right knee is getting a little sore. So I am thinking of giving myself a little rest and trying some other things.

My ortho doctor says do what is comfortable and take a rest when something becomes painful. Otherwise I have no restrictions.

So any ideas or exercise suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I suffer from hyper elasticity of my ligaments, which has resulted in dozens of dislocations of my knee and multiple surgeries. Running causes tons of pain for me. i stick to elliptical, bikes and do leg exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee (leg press, squats, etc)
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i have very bad knees, i am supposed to have surgery on both to correct but i haven't gone through with it. my issue is that my knees don't track properly, and with being a cross-country & track runner and soccer player when i was younger, the damage was severely accelerated.

my 3 favorite forms of excercise are:
    1. spin class
    2. the barre method. you can take classes (though some of them are NOT cheap) or get a DVD. my favorite is "Pure Barre".
    3. swimming
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have artheritis too in both knees. My main form of exercise is bicycle riding. I also do some hiking but need a leg brace for the left knee when on a long one that has lots of downhill.

I know you are looking for exercise ideas but I would like to share something that has REALLY helped me become more mobile. I take two packets of unflavored gelatine in a glass of orange juice everyday. You can do the research, but there are things in gelatine that actually repair/rebuilt joint tissues. There was a time when I could barely walk 100 yards without excruciating pain. After a couple months of the gelatine therapy I was walking again without pain. I now bike quite a bit as well as maintain the gelatine regimen. I attribute the results to this combination.

If you decide to try this, make sure you give it at least three months before stopping.

You can find unflavored gelatine in grocery stores. It's relatively inexpensive.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I have patellofemoral arthritis, from having a knee rebuilt.
    I do barbell squats, cycling, walking.

I had to give up running (Except uphill) and lunges. No jumprope.
  • oceanbreeze22
    oceanbreeze22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have artheritis too in both knees. My main form of exercise is bicycle riding. I also do some hiking but need a leg brace for the left knee when on a long one that has lots of downhill.

I know you are looking for exercise ideas but I would like to share something that has REALLY helped me become more mobile. I take two packets of unflavored gelatine in a glass of orange juice everyday. You can do the research, but there are things in gelatine that actually repair/rebuilt joint tissues. There was a time when I could barely walk 100 yards without excruciating pain. After a couple months of the gelatine therapy I was walking again without pain. I now bike quite a bit as well as maintain the gelatine regimen. I attribute the results to this combination.

If you decide to try this, make sure you give it at least three months before stopping.

You can find unflavored gelatine in grocery stores. It's relatively inexpensive.

I will check into the gelatin. I just heard something on this a few days ago.
  • oceanbreeze22
    Options
    i have very bad knees, i am supposed to have surgery on both to correct but i haven't gone through with it. my issue is that my knees don't track properly, and with being a cross-country & track runner and soccer player when i was younger, the damage was severely accelerated.

my 3 favorite forms of excercise are:
    1. spin class
    2. the barre method. you can take classes (though some of them are NOT cheap) or get a DVD. my favorite is "Pure Barre".
    3. swimming

I do enjoy swimming.

Never heard of Pure Barre.
  • oceanbreeze22
    Options
    I suffer from hyper elasticity of my ligaments, which has resulted in dozens of dislocations of my knee and multiple surgeries. Running causes tons of pain for me. i stick to elliptical, bikes and do leg exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee (leg press, squats, etc)

I would like to learn some more leg exercises to strengthen.