Running long distances and keeping curves ?

Options
Is that possible ? I am shrinking and slowly losing my boobs and butt. I am currently alternating between P90x - to tone up and build stronger muscle to help me run my 21.5 k in September - and running 5-10k. I love running and don't want to give it up... But I also don't want to end up looking like a stick. Advices ?

Replies

• cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to add some weights to your routine! Small ones for muscle toning, it will give you good shape. Also gluteus squeezes and hamstring exercises for your bum......
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    agree with the weights, but not the small part. but yes....lift!! it'll help with your running too!

but noticing the trend in serious runners....none of them have boobs, *kitten*, or hips. so...you're probably going to be SOL if you're running a lot.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run between 5-10k three times a week, and lift heavy weights (stronglifts 5x5) three times a week. I'm not losing my curves... if anything, I'm getting curvier. :smile: I never had a lot in the boobage department, but heavy lifting has nipped in my waist and made my bum higher and rounder.

If you're starting to feel "like a stick," maybe rethink your weight loss goal? Unless you're really short, 110 is teeny.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    boobs are fat. If you run or do anything to the point of lowering your body fat under 20% the boobs will be gone. As mentioned by another poster, if you lift you can tone your waist and rebuild your butt, but the boobs will be history unless you buy another set.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    To get curves, you have to develop some round muscles....by lifting really heavy things and putting them back down. Distance runners are lean sinewy little things....you've seen them!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Agree with the weights, but no light ones. :) Also disagree with the bodyfat and boob comment; I have very low BF but my girls are NOT GONE. I ran a 1/2 and will do 3 this year and I am far from a so called "stick". My, I run long distance and still have an *kitten* and boobs, what gives people?! What and how much you are eating also plays highly into this.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    definitely possible. I run quite a bit--maybe 40-45 miles a week and I still have curves!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    at least two marathons a year and I've kept my DD's and sculpted quite a nice booty while keeping my body fat around 21%

Lift some weights, so some squats. It'll help with the running as well.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    depends on your definition of curves. . .I know I wouldn't want to run a 5k with 38DDs. . .it just sounds painful! (Props to the ladies out there who DO run with those girls!!!)

I still sport a 34B, but after nursing kids the weight loss from running, and gravity, haven't been, well, kind.

Make sure you're not burning too many more calories than you eat, and I'd say, for the short term, the girls will be safe.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i participated in a half marathon training program last fall - totally ran my bootay off!! seriously. and after I had worked so hard to build a butt, it was irritating to run it off. BUT it was because I didn't keep up with the strength training! I'm participating in another go round of half training (because I like the long group runs) and I'm doing spartacus workout twice a week, and doing pitaiyo (blend of pilates, tai chi, yoga, qi gong breathing - so body weight work) and my butt looks better than ever!! boobs, are sticking around. They have shrunk significantly since I started (was a 46ddd when I was 303.4lbs but - am now 186.4 lbs and a 40d)
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    definitely possible. I run quite a bit--maybe 40-45 miles a week and I still have curves!

Me too. I ran and lifted for a while making me beefy , but I ended up WEIGHTING MORE making it harder to run, because I was so beefy.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have 2 marathons and 7 halves under my belt, average about 1500+ km a year running (probably equal to double that cycling) and do it all with a 32G breast measurement and a generous (though more toned and shapely than previously, I'll admit) derriere. Body glide and well fitting sports bras are a must. If you are blessed with the big boob genetics you won't lose them, not unless you REALLY try.

The way I figure it, run because you love it and just accept the body changes, there's no point in worrying about the things you can't really change!
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    LIFT MORE! It will seriously help your running too.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm a distance runner and I have plenty of curves to go around.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Original Poster UneJolieFemme said:
    Is that possible ? I am shrinking and slowly losing my boobs and butt. I am currently alternating between P90x - to tone up and build stronger muscle to help me run my 21.5 k in September - and running 5-10k. I love running and don't want to give it up... But I also don't want to end up looking like a stick. Advices ?

With the mileage I run twice a day my shape (36DD-22-34) isn't the least bit distorted only enhanced - tighter, higher and evidently more rounded, which is purely awesome and most encouraging. Wholeheartedly agree@weight/strength training. I aim for at least 3-4 hours of strength training a week (weighted machines) - home gym.

Ordinarily I might've ignored this topic, but for what I'd seen this morning during my run - of 3 women who'd risked their beauty-potential via running only (with very little to zero strength training and flexibility routines to support their cardio). What was evidently clear are their awful dietary choices, lacking of nourishment - essential fats and proteins surprisingly enough, with an emaciated overall look (gaunt faces/skin and bones), pounding along the running course severely challenged.

Retaining one's curves/shape is limited within the realms of what one's genetics will allow, when agitated (workout routine/frequency/duration and eating plan).
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses it gives me hope it can be done !
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you're losing them then you weren't genetically predisposed to have them them in the first place so no need to worry about if you will or won't lose them.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You've only got 10 lbs to go to your goal weight. I really wouldn't worry about at this point. Keep running if you enjoy it.
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162
    Options
    I doubt weights will help.. try doing steps or squats for rbuttocks and rowing or something similar for your boobs... that's what helped me..eventually that stopped helping.. my boobs and butt are always the first to go... I learned not to care after the second attempt at losing weight because as soon as I start eating regular and stop exercising as much everything plumps back up again.. once you stop trying to actively lose weight, and just start actively maintaining meaning eating and exercising to remain the same weight instead of lose... in my experience everything gets back curvier...
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    "I am shrinking and slowly losing my boobs and butt. I am currently alternating between P90x - to tone up and build stronger muscle to help me run my 21.5 k in September - and running 5-10k. I love running and don't want to give it up... But I also don't want to end up looking like a stick. Advices ?"

I don't think distance running affects your body fat distribution. It's all about calories in, calories out.

If you want to keep body fat levels at a certain level, then simply eat enough to maintain your current weight at your current activity level.

There is no real way to avoid or keep fat on certain parts of the body.

I don't run distance but also have a flat, up and down banana shaped body. I also have a flat butt, despite doing lots of squats. That's probably genetics.

Also consider weight lifting a few times a week with heavy weights and fewer reps. Over time you can build muscle in specific areas to create the illusion of a curvier figure.