Chicken Thigh and Veggie Skillet

Options
ILiftHeavyAcrylics
ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
This is not exactly a low calorie recipe, but it is worth every calorie. The exact count is going to vary depending on the grams of the potatoes/carrots you use and how you divide it up, but my count for the whole skillet was 1316 total (99 grams carbs/57 grams fat/61 protein). My husband and I divided the veggies in half and I gave him 2/3 of the chicken, so my portion came out to 552 calories (50 c /29 f /31 p).

Chicken Thigh and Veggie Skillet

mailgooglecom_zpsc921e82e.jpg

3 cloves garlic
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp kosher salt (original recipe called for 2 tsp but I try to limit sodium for my husband)
2 tbsp chopped rosemary leaves
2 tbsp oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
3/4 lb red potatoes, skin on, cut into large pieces
3 large carrots, cut into large pieces
1/4 cup onion in large pieces
1 lemon quartered
2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Pile garlic, rosemary leaves, kosher salt, and red pepper flakes together. Mince and mash with your knife until it becomes a paste. Put the garlic mixture in a mixing bowl with the oil and lemon juice, mix well. Place chicken thighs in the mixture and turn to coat.

Meanwhile, boil the carrots and potatoes (skin on) for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside. Preheat a large cast iron pan over medium heat.

Place the boneless skinless thighs top-side down in the hot pan. Sear until well browned, do not turn. Remove from heat. Place potatoes, carrots, and onion in cast iron pan. Place boneless thighs over vegetables, browned side up. Pour remaining marinade over the chicken and veggies. Place quartered lemon pieces and sprigs of rosemary on top of veggies. Roast in oven 20 minutes uncovered.

If I didn't have a picky eater I'd throw some baby portabella mushrooms and possibly asparagus in the skillet too.

I cannot overstate how awesome this recipe is. I'd have it every night if I could. Enjoy :)

Replies