Finding my motivation

Options
I signed up recently at Planet Fitness thinking I was going to get serious about working out. Unfortunately I have only went once since I signed up a month ago. Any tips or advice about how to get back into the routine?

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    1) Just make it part of your day--schedule it in to your activities
    2) Get a workout buddy/group that you will meet up with
    You basically just have to go in and do it. Once you start, you'll find it hard to skip a day
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Go.
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness. My #1 recommendation is: Try not to think about it. Be a robot. I wake up every morning at 5:00 and jump out of bed before I have a chance to think about it. Sometimes I''ll drive all the way to the gym and then sit outside contemplating if I want to go in or not. I've backed out maybe once or twice, but usually I tell myself to just burn 200 calories. By time I do that, I've found my motivation and will stick it out much longer. You have to want this for yourself. If you're really struggling with motivation, maybe you're not ready yet? Also, logging my food throughout the day (NOT at the end) and connecting with people on the message boards is really helpful too. Best of luck!
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You recently signed up and only went once...Sounds like you never had a routine to begin with. The gym scene isn't for everyone, sounds like that may not work for you. You have to go to develop your habit. I bring my workout clothes to work, so that I can change and go straight to the gym on days I am unable to go before work. You have to make the gym a habit, find a workout that you enjoy and just do it.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You've got it right in that you have to find your motivation.
    There are tons of ideas - set a goal and a reward (10 lbs = new shoes or new dress or new makeup) or 10000 calories burned = massage... find your currency and use it.
    You got this! Create a calendar and stick to it!
    I agree with some of the others that it does take the right time to make it truly work, but really - you've made the commitment financially so make it the right time too!
  • drangel254
    drangel254 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've always found the best thing is to, like others have said, make it a part of a routine. If you work a day shift, bring your work out clothes and go right after or before work. No excuses just walk in that door. Everyone starts somewhere. Good luck
  • smitty24
    Options
    Go.

^This is the first step!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Go.

^This is the first step!

^ yep, just DO IT!
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree that making it a part of your routine is the best option! I work at a hospital, and we have a gym on site, so instead of eating on my lunch break, I go to the gym. That way, I don't have to wake up any earlier, and I don't have to get home any later. My hours will soon change, but I'll just go as soon as I get off work. Consider it a part of your work day. There have been many days I didn't feel like going, and in that train of thought, I woke up and found myself walking into the gym. I think I'd feel like part of my day was missing if I didn't go. You have to really want it. There have been many times where I "thought" I wanted it, but I didn't. I wasn't ready for it all. I think people just kind of "get it" one day and start doing their damn thing to get it done! Best of luck!
  • rrmarlnee
    Options
    Ditto....be a robot. Take baby steps...just tell yourself that you are going to get to the gym and do "something"..."anything" for 30 minutes or that your are just going to do a light cardio and burn 200 calories. But have a small goal in mind. This is what I tell myself and I always end up getting a killer workout because once I'm warmed up I always think, "I'm here...make it worthwhile."
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    One thing I did when I got started was getting my friends and family to "sponsor" me. I set mini goals and asked them to donate something when I reached each goal. It can be anything; cash, clothes, a night out, etc. This makes you motivated to reach those goals. You can even do it so that they "pay up" for every 5 workouts or at the end of the month when you workout at least 3x/wk. Anything to reward you, or reward yourself. I'm going to start rewarding myself with a monthly girls night out if I manage to make it to the gym 3x/wk every week. Just give yourself something to work for, in addition to the awesome benefits of being healthy and getting slimmer. You can do it!

Also, get a workout partner if you can, someone for accountability.
  • BigJMcK
    Options
    Thanks all for advice. I used to have a routine a year and half ago, and was doing great. 5 days a week, 60 minutes a day. But then I got hit by a truck while riding my bike home from the gym no less, and haven't gone since until a month ago. I know what its like to have a routine.
  • BigJMcK
    Options
    I wanted to give you all a big Thank YoU!!! for your words. I am back on track and working out at the gym 6 days a week.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Just do it..