Healthy Foods at a Pizza Place??

Options

Replies

• pink_ribbon_1
    pink_ribbon_1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    They might have salads. Could you get a big salad with grilled chicken?

SORRY I just re-read your post about no salad suggestions! Sorry!

Go thin crust, with veggies - or do a wrap sandwich perhaps.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been BEGGING me to take her out for pizza, but I keep saying no because I don't know what the healthy options there are. Can anyone tell me if there's ANYTHING healthy you can order at a pizza place?

Please don't say salad...in my experience the salads at a pizza place are either ridiculously small, unsatisfying and overpriced or ridiculously NOT healthy...

Sounds borderline orthorexic, please don't' let your diet control you and keep you from eating out or social situations. 1 day of eating won't make you gain a ton of fat or derail you from your diet, just eat what you want and get on track the next day. Unless you're talking about chuck e cheese, then i'd eat beforehand
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Go to a place with a salad bar and pile up the fresh veggies, skip the pasta salad, watch the portion of dressing.
    Try veggie pizza with no cheese, it's actually quite good.
    Make homemade pizza with the kids, let each person pick their toppings.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Pizza is not the worst thing in the world to eat. A thin crust with chicken and veggies and light cheese and some sauce... good stuff.

If you really don't want to go out, and option I make at home that my kids LOVE is the pizza bar. I set up the table with cheese, veggies (the most popular is asparagus), some seasonings, and some turkey pepperoni. Each person gets a pita and they can put what they want on it. Maybe do this for your daughter and let her have some friends over. You'll be the coolest mom ever, and they still feel like they are getting their junk food on.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Pizza is a pretty solid choice at a pizza place. That's how I roll when I go to one
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    These sound like really good options. I would probably add a side salad just to give me something else to fill up on. Enjoy!!
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You can order a small, thin base pizza without the cheese and just have your veggies and protein on it, and then watch your weekly calorie intake to make up for it :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would order a thin crust with veggies and not worry about it. At most on a large pizza your slice would be 280 calories. Have a slice or two and lots of water to help flush out the sodium and enjoy.

This ^^ Generally, thin crust veggie pizzas aren't too bad from a nutritional or calorie standpoint.
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Enjoy salad (no dressing), enjoy pizza (thin crust and tell em - no cheese). If you've got a pizza express check out their 500 cal leggeria pizza it is yummy. Look the thing is, quality time with your daughter is as important as you sticking to your diet. We all have to find that diet/life balance and the last thing any of us girls want to do is create a conflict relationship with food in our daughters. I understand you are conflicted about trying to be a sensible eater and the terror that is the pizza place, but you can and you will manage to get it right.

Personally I check out menus on line, or by previsiting the place, I cope better if I've had time to consider my best options and then make an informed choice.

Finally, if it all goes wild when the dessert menu is offered - then I still enter my calories and balance them off with a workout and a sensible reduction in calories the next day.

Have fun, have a giggle and please, don't beat yourself up about this. Once in a while is good for you. As Julia Childs said, moderation in everything, including moderation.

I trust this helps.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been BEGGING me to take her out for pizza, but I keep saying no because I don't know what the healthy options there are. Can anyone tell me if there's ANYTHING healthy you can order at a pizza place?

Please don't say salad...in my experience the salads at a pizza place are either ridiculously small, unsatisfying and overpriced or ridiculously NOT healthy...

Sounds borderline orthorexic, please don't' let your diet control you and keep you from eating out or social situations. 1 day of eating won't make you gain a ton of fat or derail you from your diet, just eat what you want and get on track the next day. Unless you're talking about chuck e cheese, then i'd eat beforehand

I just learned a new word! Cool! lol Honestly, I think my doctor is turning me in that direction....they're so strict about what I can and can't eat that it's all I think about anymore!

That being said, I think I'll probably go for the slice and a small salad...luckily I usually only get mushrooms on my pizza anyway...
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't gorge yourself, you can eat pizza. Eating a salad at a pizza place is a rip off. My husband went out for lunch with his co-worker for his birthday and ended up in a greasy pizza joint. $12 for a tiny salad and a diet soda that wound up being about 550 calories because the dressing came ON the salad and was not light. Moderation is key.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for pointing this out, but pizza *is* healthy.

Forgive me for asking...but how is pizza healthy? Grease, carbs, cheese...not to mention any toppings you get...I'm not saying it's the WORST thing you could eat, but I can't see it necessarily being considered a healthy choice either...

Proteins, fats and carbs. It's everything you need. With the right toppings, two slices of pizza is the perfect meal.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Pizza express, leggara pizzas are only 500 cals and gorgeous. Try researching restaurants and menu options before you go. Good luck x
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    <snip> Unless you're talking about chuck e cheese, then i'd eat beforehand

Great point! There are some places that call their stuff pizza, but it's just nasty!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I just learned a new word! Cool! lol Honestly, I think my doctor is turning me in that direction....they're so strict about what I can and can't eat that it's all I think about anymore!

That being said, I think I'll probably go for the slice and a small salad...luckily I usually only get mushrooms on my pizza anyway...

Whoa! Your doctor has advised you to limit foods? Assuming this is a qualified physician that you trust, you should probably listen to them.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For all those suggesting "pizza" without cheese
    sorry, that is not pizza. What's the point?

Just eat no more than 2 slices, no crazy toppings, simple sauce and cheese and you will be fine.

I tend to make my own flatbread pizzas at home for a total of 330 calories. I do miss real NY pizza and have eaten it on the rare occasion during my weight loss period ( 500-600 calories for one meal wasnt worth it at that time). Once I get to maintenance calories it will be easy to fit pizza in without cutting my other meals/snacks.
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you don't want to eat pizza dough...Depending on the service of your local pizza place some can be very accommodating to your dietary needs. Make sure you call ahead so you don't get disappointed when you sit at a table and try to order.

How about trying to order 1 meatball without sauce, and request to have have them place veggies on a pizza pan and put in the oven to 'roast' them. Also, choose a pizza place that has other menu options - and trust me, there is nothing wrong with being creative with their otherwise 'boring basic salads' on the menu. Spruce it up with other toppings they offer with their pizza, but add them to your salad. Be creative. It can be as simple as them charging you for a bunch of sides so you can put it all together.

And also don't deny enjoying some quality bonding time with your daughter. Just look at it as a great 'let's go out' time and make some light choices. Hope this helps!
  • sally414
    Options
    Thin crust, veggie pizza is a good bet. Eat 2 slices with a salad and you'll be good to go!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Eat the pizza and enjoy your dinner out with the kiddo. It won't kill ya'. Promise :)
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Girl my favorite thing to do is get a veggie slice. i get broccoli spinach peepers mushrooms its soooo delishious and actually very filling. it may still be "unhealthy"... but at least ur getting your veggies in at the same time white ur enjoying a slice.

whatever you do dont get a spinach calzone. i made that mistake and it was like 1200 calories for the entire thing due to the bread and the massive amount of cheese :(